Auckland for four days..

Gang,

My DW and I will be taking the Mercury from Auckland to Hawaii in March '08. We will be flying down 4 days early because that's the way the airline connections worked out. Anyone got suggestions on what to "not miss" in and around Auckland? We've been looking at the visitors board web-sites and are leaning toward renting a car for a day or two to explore both north possibly as far as Paihia and south as far as Rotorua (glow-worm caves, land luge, etc.). We are looking for other suggestions on where to stop, what to look for and things to do. As far as in Auckland itself, we're looking really hard at the bridge walk. What else does anyone suggest?

Our ship stops at Tauranga, so we're thinking that we may limit our south trek, but are open to any ideas.

So, what say. Suggestions anyone????

Cecil

We spent 4 nights pre cruise in Paihia, definitely worth at least an overnight visit if you get the chance. Paihia is easy 3-1/2 drive north of Auckland on reasonable roads. We stayed at the Scenic Circle Bays of Islands hotel, we had one of the new deluxe rooms, very very nice and walking distance to town centre and lots of restaurants, bars etc. Link below is to the hotel website.

http://www.scenic-circle.co.nz/hotel.asp?id=20

In Paihia, its worth doing a trip out to the "Hole in the rock", where if the conditions are right the boat goes through the rock. Link to website below.

http://fboi.co.nz/tour1.aspx

Also whilst in Paihia, take a trip accross to Russell, the original capital of NZ, quaint little village and very laid back.

Hope this helps with your research and have a great cruise. If I think of anything else I'll post it later.

Mark

Gang,

My DW and I will be taking the Mercury from Auckland to Hawaii in March '08. We will be flying down 4 days early because that's the way the airline connections worked out. Anyone got suggestions on what to "not miss" in and around Auckland? We've been looking at the visitors board web-sites and are leaning toward renting a car for a day or two to explore both north possibly as far as Paihia and south as far as Rotorua (glow-worm caves, land luge, etc.). We are looking for other suggestions on where to stop, what to look for and things to do. As far as in Auckland itself, we're looking really hard at the bridge walk. What else does anyone suggest?

Our ship stops at Tauranga, so we're thinking that we may limit our south trek, but are open to any ideas.

So, what say. Suggestions anyone????

Cecil

Great, 4 days lets you do lots. heres an idea.

Day 1, get over jet lag, see the city, pick up hire car late. Can suggest some good hotels if you need them.

Day 2, early start, drive out through west Auckland [wineries] and head up the main highway Helensville, join highway 1 at Wellsford [this way you miss all the traffic] left again at Brynderwyn out towards Dargaville. Must visit the Pioneer Museum, then on to Omapere, stay at the Copthorn there, right on the harbour. Just before the stop you go past the biggest kauri tree in NZ, Tane Mohuta, must stop.

Day 3, catch ferry over harbour then drive up top Cape Reinga via Kaitaia, if you have time, if not head straight back to Pahia and Russell, if you can stay at the Duke of Marlborough Hotel.

Day 4, back down to Aucland for the cruise.

In Auckland i would suggest, The Domian and Musem, One Tree Hill and Mount Eden, volcanoes for views, Sky City tower, Kelly Tarltons, The Devenport ferry across to the Noth Shore, try a sail in an Americas cup yatch, Parnell and Ponsonby for cafes and shoppping, so if you dont go north theres lots to do.

Can visit Rotorua from tauranga when your ship stops there, also can do Hobbiton and Waitomo Caves from Tauranga. If you need any more info just ask. Regards Pheonix.

it makes me want to pack my bags and head over there again.

what a wonderful place NZ is,and yes phoenix has mentioned some great places, We went to rotarua on our cruise from tauranga and just drove through tauranga on the way back to the docks, and wished we had longer to stay there. Hubby loved the bridge with the sapphire princess in the distance, wish we had taken a photo of the bridge.

karon

Pheonix,

Thanks for the great suggestions. You offered some hotel choices in Auckland. We'll be looking for something medium priced and I assume centrally located. If you still have suggestions, please pass them on.

My DW and I have been looking at some (not so great) maps of the North island. We've got to find an honest road map somewhere. I have just a couple of questions. "West out of Auckland", I assume your talking about Hwy. 16 to Wellsford? I'm going to do a search on the Copthorn Hotel in Omapere and the Duke of Marborough in Russell. If I need help, I may shout at you again.

Thanks again for your help. If you ever get a chance to visit the south-east US, hollar at me and I'll try to return the favor.

Cecil

Great, 4 days lets you do lots. heres an idea.

Day 1, get over jet lag, see the city, pick up hire car late. Can suggest some good hotels if you need them.

Day 2, early start, drive out through west Auckland [wineries] and head up the main highway Helensville, join highway 1 at Wellsford [this way you miss all the traffic] left again at Brynderwyn out towards Dargaville. Must visit the Pioneer Museum, then on to Omapere, stay at the Copthorn there, right on the harbour. Just before the stop you go past the biggest kauri tree in NZ, Tane Mohuta, must stop.

Day 3, catch ferry over harbour then drive up top Cape Reinga via Kaitaia, if you have time, if not head straight back to Pahia and Russell, if you can stay at the Duke of Marlborough Hotel.

Day 4, back down to Aucland for the cruise.

In Auckland i would suggest, The Domian and Musem, One Tree Hill and Mount Eden, volcanoes for views, Sky City tower, Kelly Tarltons, The Devenport ferry across to the Noth Shore, try a sail in an Americas cup yatch, Parnell and Ponsonby for cafes and shoppping, so if you dont go north theres lots to do.

Can visit Rotorua from tauranga when your ship stops there, also can do Hobbiton and Waitomo Caves from Tauranga. If you need any more info just ask. Regards Pheonix.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'd also appreciate your thoughts on good middle-class hotels. How is the Mercure Harbor? We need two nights 25-27 January and 2.February before our Mercury cruise.

TIA.

Archived