Tour With Victor Bodden - What To Do?

pjfnme

Hello all. I booked a tour with Victor for next week. Ben will be our guide. We have our 6yo daughter with us so, we won't be doing the ziplines..but, she definitely wants to see the iguanas and the MONKEYS!!! I thought we would do the Iguana Farm, go to Victor's to visit the monkeys and then go to Half Moon Bay to let her swim. Does this sound doable?? Also....I would love to go have lunch somewhere REALLY GOOD (preferably seafood) and then maybe do a little bit of shopping. I need some recommendations on lunch and shopping..and, would also love to hear from those who have done the other things to see if we can fit it all into one day!! Thanks!!!

If you go to Half Moon Bay, the restuarant at Half Moon Bay Cabins is pretty good, you could also try Romeos in French Harbor also well known for seafood. Your guide will have some ideas also.

With shopping plenty of shops in West End or just try to get back to the dock in time for some shopping, or ask your guide about on the day he will be able to stop for you at a recommended shop.

Dean

We toured with Victor last Nov. We stopped at the shipwreck, Iguana Farm, Fantasy Island, and had lunch on the beach. The restaurant was lovely, right on the water...but I wasnt overly impressed with the food. It was ok but not great. Some of the people in our group of 37 went snorkeling and zip lining while we had lunch. You will have plenty of time to see the things you listed on your post.

PJF -

I just returned three days ago from the Carnival Valor and also toured Roatan with Bodden Tours. Our driver was Willson (Victor's cousin) - but I believe all of his personnel are very nice and reliable. We thouroughly enojoyed ourselves and you will as well.

As for your plans - they are all doable. I know, because we did them. The port is extremely hectic, be forewarned. When you get off the ship follow the walkway towards the right - it will take you out past the security gate. Almost immediately across the stree there are some little huts - one of them has a hanging sign that reads "Bodden Tours." Check in with them there and they will introduce you to your driver for the day.

Leaving the port was very hectic (we found out this is their "slow" season and typically there is only one ship per week visiting now - so understanbily everyone is out to capture buisiness.) Once you get out of town we headed to the east end of the island. This is where the iguana farm is. Along the way we passed two ship wrecks (photo opps) and heard the history about them. As for the iguana farm, I wasn't sure what to expect of the place but I have to admit, I really enjoyed it. The road to get there seems primative but don't be concerned when your driver takes the back, dirt roads - that is where this place is.

We were told there are literaly 4,000 iguanas on the property and they were everywhere. (up in the trees, on the side walk, blending in with the grass, etc..) all different sizes. For $5 is it worth it. We feed them and took pictures with them. Be sure to walk the entire road - they have a caged monkey but the best is down on the pier. They have all kinds of fish, turtles and sea creatures to observe from the pier. It is a neat little place.

From there we headed back to the west end stopping along the way to try sugar cane water and then on to Victor's house. Victor himself has monkeys to play with - they are awesome! I really go attached to Tacco. Victor is a real animal guy - let's the monkeys free to roam the property every day except when a ship is in port. (Otherwise they go up in the trees and don't interact with folks as much.) He has deer, several different kinds of monkeys and another little guy with a long snout - don't know what he is but I fell in love with him. From what I understand Fantasy Island now charges $15pp to go on property so that may not be the best way to see the monkeys anymore.

From here we traveled to the west end and went to Half Moon Bay and spent a leisurely few hours there soaking in the sun, breeze, snorkling, food and beer. It is BEAUTIFUL there! I on the other hand found the food to be quite good. We had conch fritters that were all minced conch and the best I have ever had. Additionally folks recommended the fried shrimp (hubby had and enjoyed) and I had the coconut shrimp (VERY large and VERY tasty!) We enjoyed it completely. WE paid for our driver's lunch and beverage as well and even with my two beers (great local brewed stuff) and my husbands two sodas the bill was only around $48. Not bad for lunch for three, with beers, sodas and an appetizer! I would recommend.

There is plenty of time to do all of these activities and still get back to the ship in plenty of time. Willson was very conscientious and wanted to please us. He did a great job!

Enjoy your trip!

Archived