I Got BANNED from RCCL!!!!!!

You're joking, right? I have a lawyer in my immediate family, and would STILL probably contact RCI directly, media outlets, etc. first, before pursuing this matter through courts. Surely you must be aware that the average person does not have easy/free access to a local attorney whenever they desire, and even when they do, how very SLOWLY things often proceed utilizing the appropriate legal channels?

Don't need to hire an attorney (although it is advisible) to serve a subpeona. Also, there is such a thing called pro-bono work. I'm sure a call to the Florida State Bar Association could get a referral to an attoryney who would take on the case for little or no fee. Although I seem to think that someone who immediately books two other cruises on another cruise line upon hearing that he is "banned" from RCCL wouldn't have a problem funding an attorney.

I would agree with perhaps not cancelling cruises already booked. However upcoming plans are another story. If they can do it to Scott what's to stop them from doing it to any of us. You go Scott!!!!

You know, in the cases where ppl book hotels/flights not through RCI, can't go on their vacation and complain why RCI won't cover it or insurance won't cover it?

THIS IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

I think RCI should cough up all the money. You can't let someone book the cruises and then right before tell them that they can't go. It's stupid.

Someone call CNN? Of course, this again paints RCI in a bad light. Something else for Carnival to mock us over!:(

I don't think anyone from Carnival is laughing right now. This is upsetting to everyone. Now, if his airline bans him and Carnival bans him also - its DHS and he needs to contact his senator and congressmen. BUT, he's been traveling and has a passport.

I have been following this thread all morning:

Scott, I am so sorry that you have a mess to deal with. I think you are handling the situation way better than most of us. In your place I would be beyond frustrated with the situation and the way you have been treated by the cruise-line. I respect you even more for sharing your confusion and experience. IMO contacting your lawyer was the right thing to do. I hope you keep us updated.

I also hope that if the cruise line is watching this thread they realize they have the power to make the whole situation go away. All he wants is an explanation. If you have a valid reason for banning him let him know - wouldn't that be much better than having all of us watching this thread wondering at this apparent mistreatment of a repeat customer:eek:

might I remind everyone that there are TWO sides to every story. Sure this plays out as a great David vs. Goliath story but think about how much any of us know of RCCL's position.

I've seen too much in my years in and out of courtrooms to know not to make conclusions until ALL facts are known.

Fine,let RCI explain their side, thats all most of us are asking for.

I would get a copy of the background check and go through it thoroughly to see if the information is accurate, including things like your Social Security Number and your date of birth. I do background checks on prospective employees and have made mistakes - even a small error can surface interesting results.

Interesting that being "banned" from RCCL and the promotion and background check seem to be close together.

Hope this works out for the best.

parrotheadmark - are you the LA Times employee? I work at The Advocate in CT - I may ask the reporter that did all the stories on George Smith if she's interested in this ...

Robin

OK, has anybody considered that RCl may be in the middle on this thing? IF, this is a DHS thing, they may not even know why this guy is being flagged. And, if the do klnow what the reason is, are they allowed to reveal it? I heard somebody say the other day that when al

With the news of this not being a single sailing-related, it gives more weight to the HLS deal.

I wonder if the late booking of the Carnival cruise is the reason why he has not been denied from their cruise. What is he to do, call them and tell them the trouble that he had with RCL and ask if it OK to go oin their ship?

This really does stink!

I like this theory but can't he check with his airline and see if his name is on the "list". Has Carnival banned him also?

The problem is that if my theory is correct he is not on any other list, DHS or otherwise, he is just on a list created by a kneejerk reaction by someone in RC security to legitimate questions being asked of them about his travel history in the course of a routine background investigation.

:rolleyes: Makes a person think twice about even attempting to sneak any type of alcohol goodies on RCI, what's next not just a "naughty room" for the violators but a permanent ban from RCI??? :mad:

I think the rules would work better if they just implemented the Time-Out chair or something for however many minutes you are in years. :p :p

I am one of the thousands that has been following this since yesterday. I've read every post on all 20 pages and the same thought keeps running through my mind that some way, some how the recent background check triggered something to cause RCI to do this. Don't know why this is bugging me. :confused: Keep your head held high, Scott. We are all in your corner. If you hear anything more, please keep us informed. We're all hooked, now.;)

Guest Parrothedmark

parrotheadmark - are you the LA Times employee? I work at The Advocate in CT - I may ask the reporter that did all the stories on George Smith if she's interested in this ...

Robin

Yes I am. I am on my way to work in a couple of minutes and will be speaking with editorial

Mark

Firefighterhoop - just got off the phone with my brother, a former member of the US Navy who's dealt with top security clearance most of his life. He recommends you contact the Office of Homeland Security, esplain what's transpired and see if they'll tell you anything (example - are you listed on TSA's "No-Fly List" and if so, why???)

He said there's a chance they have you mixed up with someone else (which you'll definitely need to get cleared up), or else just the amount of traveling you've done since 2001 and/or places you've visited could be reason enough to cause suspicion or to flag you as a possible risk to the US.

He thinks any further pursuit of the matter with RCCL will be a waste of time. Try to find out your status with Homeland Security because it might well mean the difference between getting back into the US with no problems after a cruise or trip out of the country, or being delayed or worse by TSA agents when your name pops up on their "high security risk" list.

Keep us posted!

Cindy

Don't need to hire an attorney (although it is advisible) to serve a subpeona. Also, there is such a thing called pro-bono work. I'm sure a call to the Florida State Bar Association could get a referral to an attoryney who would take on the case for little or no fee. Although I seem to think that someone who immediately books two other cruises on another cruise line upon hearing that he is "banned" from RCCL wouldn't have a problem funding an attorney.

Respectfully, CCB, it really isn't that simple. For one thing, finding any attorney in Florida willing to go head to head against RCCL -- pro bono or not -- could be quite a challenge. And the idea of a successful subpoena against RCCL coming from a private citizen without legal representation is, quite frankly, pretty much laughable. There are more ways to dodge such a subpoena than days in a year -- besides which, it would likely require months & months to work its way through the system.

Also, the remark a out "immediately booking two other cruises on another line" isn't quite accurate either. Since it's irrelevant to the matter at hand, I won't bother repeating it here, but if you really do want to know what happened, it has been explained in the previous pages.

On a related note - I'd like to quickly commend The Powers That Be on re-opening this thread.

It appears that someone realized that it's one thing to possibly make an error (or not, that remains to be seen), but it's something entirely else to pretend it never happened. The first thing you can make good on, the other one costs you dearly in the credibility department. So again, thanks, I honestly think this is a wise decision.

G.

Archived