What type of protection from rain,etc. for digital slr?

newbie2468

What type of protection do you use for digital slr's to keep them dry and still be able to take pictures? Hopefully it won't rain while we are there, but the likelihood is slim :D I would still like to be able to take pictures (if it is not a downpour) but keep the body(electronics dry) suggestions???

Thanks

Here is what I did with my Canon 20D with 100-400 L lens during last trip. I inserted the lens and camera into one sleeve of my ski jacket. The diameter of the sleeve fits perfectly with my large lens. With lens hood keeping the sleeve in shape, I am able to see through with camera. I shoot about 400 pictures with that setup during a heavy down pour that day. I was soaked because I gave away my jacket to my camera. But my equipments stay very dry throughout..

I tried to find a high tech answer online and all I could find is what I was gonna tell you. Here it is;

Not only will a good bag protect your equipment from the weather, but they will also keep all that equipment you carry around safe and secure. Use a UV filter

It's also a good idea to use a filter such as a UV (ultra-violet) or skylight filter to protect your lens. They’re much cheaper to replace then a lens any day of the week. Rain tips for your camera

There are a few things you can do for your camera if you happen to be stuck outside with holding it, and weather really becomes a factor. If the weather turns to rain, you can put your camera under your jacket, shirt, hat, anything that will shield it. If you’re interested in getting some pictures of the weather, you can put your camera in a plastic bag and make a hole big enough for the lens. Just use a rubber band to secure the bag to the lens.......

I guess I learned a little about the UV lens for a rain shield, if it did get over exposed to the weather. What I use is a big ziploc freezer bag and cut a whole in the corner just big enough for your lens then wrapit with a band or tape if possible. Then you can seal the other end tightly and securley when you are not using it. But most importantly, bring a big zoom.....

I use a Tenba RC-14 on my Maxxum 7d with the 70-200 f2.8 attached. Took it whale-watching in the rain on our cruise last September and it worked perfectly.

About $40 from Amazon, Adorama or B&H.

Take a look at it here (pic is of a larger model): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=63991

Dave

Archived