Vancouver/Alaska Cruise

spinsbabe

We will be staying at the Trendwest/WorldMark facility called 'The Canadian'. It is located at 1080 Hornby Street. Arriving on 9/4 -flying on United. We will then staying at WorldMark until the 11th when we are to board the Zaandam to Alaska.

If we do rent a car I am perplexed sue to the following.......

If we pick the car up at the airport - can we leave it somewhere near CanadaPlace when boarding the ship? If not, can you rent a car 'in town'?

Recommendations? :D

Is it more practical to take a car to Vancouver Island, Victoria, Butchart Gardens etc. or is it just as easier to go without a car?

Approx. what is the price difference between going with a car and two adults or without the car?

Could we do all the sights without a car...Vancouver Island, Stanley Park, China Town, Gaslight area and whatever else we could cover in a week?

Sorry to be so 'scattered' :confused: but never having visited the area - but having wanted to for years -I definitely want to see as much as possible.

Thanks for the feedback - we really appreciate it.:)

I live in Vancouver, so I can answer some of your questions, but as I haven't been a tourist here I can't answer others.

Yes, it looks like you can rent a car at the airport and drop off in Downtown Vancouver. According to the local yellow pages Hertz 1-800-263-0600 , Discount 1-866-310-2277, and National 1-800-227-7368 have locations at both Vancouver International and downtown. Don't know the prices, but you could give them a call.

You need a car or need to take a tour to Vancouver Island and Buchart Gardens. Here is the BC Ferry website for pricing to take a car over. http://www.bcferries.com/fares/vanisle-mainland.html

You don't need a car to go to Gastown (walking distance from Canada Place) or Chinatown (slightly longer walk from Canada Place) Stanley Park can be walked, but better to take transit or a car. The Aquarium in Stanley Park is also a good destination.

If you have an opportunity, take a day tour to Whistler (our premier ski destination and home of the 2010 Olympics). Its a beautiful trip with ocean views and towering mountains. Its not called the Sea to Sky Highway for nothing. Its about 1.5 - 2.0 hours each way. :)

I always take a car over to Vancouver Island, you can see and do so much more with one. The bus tours are too confining and you need at least one over night- it is never a day trip for me. Plenty of activities. As for Vancouver- a car isn't necessary, but I also usually have on as I go to outlying areas. Research WHAT you want to do and go from there. There is a loop bus that is convenient that goes to several sights, run by Grayline- I believe??

Thanks for all the good feedback...... you've made me a 'board believer'. I am sure that our time in Vancouver and our cruise on the Zaandam will be even better because of everyone's willingness to share such great info.

Archived