Cab or private car in Warnemunde?

We'll be in Warnemunde on the July 23 HAL cruise of the Baltic. We want to go to Barth, Germany about 30 miles away to visit where my father-in-law was held POW in WWII. I've arranged a tour with a WWII survivor while in Barth but I'm not sure how best to get there. Any suggestions??

We'll be in Warnemunde on the July 23 HAL cruise of the Baltic. We want to go to Barth, Germany about 30 miles away to visit where my father-in-law was held POW in WWII. I've arranged a tour with a WWII survivor while in Barth but I'm not sure how best to get there. Any suggestions??

Get there is no problem as you can use a cab and the driver will appreciate to have such a tour.

The problem is getting back.

Due to German taxi concession: you must may the waiting time or you let him go and you have to pay upto 25% for the empty return as Barth is outside of his concession area.

But for destinations outside the concession area you can negotiate yourself.

If you sent your taxi back you need to have order him with again upto 25% positioning or order a local taxi there.

Alternative you can contact them:

http://www.limousinenservice-rostock.m-vp.de/

or

http://www.flughafen-reisetransfer-taxi.de/index.html

They have taxi concession and limo service so they can quote both in advance.

What would you think about driving yourself? It's easy with a GPS.

HERTZ and EUROPCAR have delivery points next to the cruise teminal.

But it's more 45 miles from Warnemünde than 30 miles!

Regards,

HeinBloed

It's easy to rent in Warnemünde a car:

HERTZ and EUROPCAR are delivering just next to the cruise terminal:

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

2007WmdGeneral2-vi.jpg

Booking as follows:

Europcar

Warnowufer 30

18057 Rostock

Phone: +49 381 203050

Fax: +49 381 2030566

2007WmdStationF07-vi.jpg

Hertz

Miera Kraftfahrzeuge GmbH (= Licensee)

St. Petersburger Str. 50

18107 Rostock

Phone: +49 381 7699653

Fax: +49 381 7699642

2007WmdHertzV03-vi.jpg

The best would be always to contact the station yourself to fix the correct delivery instead of calling a call-center who might not know the local details!

That's the the highway around Rostock looks like:

2007A20V09-vi.jpg

So driving around Rostock is really easy - especially if you order an GPS with your car.

Regards,

HeinBloed

If you book oniine at Hertz or on Europcar, how do you ensure that they will deliver the car to the port? Do you have to book by calling them in Germany? Will they speak English? We want to book a 7 seater for August 11, 2007. Thanks in advance.

If you book oniine at Hertz or on Europcar, how do you ensure that they will deliver the car to the port? Do you have to book by calling them in Germany? Will they speak English? We want to book a 7 seater for August 11, 2007. Thanks in advance.

I rented a car online from Hertz for 6/20. On another thread, I was given the step by step on how to do this. Once you rent the car (either on the web or by telephone through Hertz international reservations toll free number- they are in the US and speak English) tell the representative that you want the car delivered to the Warnemunde cruise terminal. If they don't know what you are talking about don't give up. Ask for a supervisor or get someone on the phone who knows what to do (I was fortunate enough the very first time). The correct response from them is that they will email the Rostock office (closest office to the pier) and tell them you want the car delivered there. They will tell you it will take approximately 3-4 business days to confirm and that they will call you to confirm. Once they call you to confirm, ask them to update your reservation to reflect the delivery and email it to you. They will do this. I received an updated reservation by email after receiving the confirming phone call within 2 business days and asking that it be sent to me (it was within 10 minutes). Under the "Comments" section, it states "ARRIV BY SHIP REQ DEL WARNEMUNDE" and then it states my reservation #. I then confirmed this again with another agent on another day. You may get stonewalled so be patient but firm. Hope this helps!

Archived