Brooklyn Pier Directions Question

ambrga

Hi,

I was planning out my driving directions to get to Brooklyn Pier for our upcoming cruise on Princess in June. We live in Northern NJ and are debating whether it is wise to drive into Manhattan and then down through Chinatown, etc to take the bridge over to Brooklyn or is it smarter for us to drive down the turnpike and getoff on 278 Cross over Staten Island and come in to Brooklyn that way.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The reason I ask is that the cruise departs on a Friday so I think traffic may be an issue.

I think it will be easier for your to drive through Manhattan.

If you go over the Verrazano, the traffic on the BQE can be horrendous - between construction and normal traffic, you could sit for a long time on that road.

If you know how to manuever through Manhattan, it's a lot easier.

Where in NJ are you coming from? As all roads lead to NYC **S **

We live in N NNJ x 172 GSP and take the P I P to GW to E or W HWY then down about ten miles and to the BBT ..

Driving: Red Hook and surrounding neighborhoods now have plenty of well-placed signs pointing toward the new terminal, along with a new signal one block from the terminal entrance at Van Brunt and Bowne. There is a trick to know if you're coming from the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel. As you exit the tunnel, ideally you want to aim for one of the toll booths at the right. After you pay your toll ($4.50, or $4 with EZ-Pass,) you'll want to make an exit almost right away onto Hamilton Avenue. Do not be distracted by the signs and safety cones immediately after the toll booths eventhough it can look like an exit.

You want to continue slightly uphill, past the "Welcome to Brooklyn" sign, and then exit at right onto Hamilton Avenue. Do not change lanes; stay to the left as traffic merges toward you. You’ll want to make a big sweeping U-turn at the first signal. This is a rather unpleasant intersection in that as you make that left you’ll pass four lanes coming from your left, pass the bridge support and then you'll find your four lanes of traffic turning left, usually stopped at another signal under the expressway. While you're at the top of the "U" of your U-turn, ideally you want in the middle of these four turn lanes since the traffic on the far left will lead back to the tunnel and the ones on the two right lanes will usually make a right turn almost immediately into Carroll Gardens. To get to the terminal, you want to make a real U-turn, heading straight on Hamilton.

Continue several blocks up to Van Brunt Street and make a left. About two blocks down make a right at the new signal at Bowne. The cruise ship terminal entrance will be right in front of you at Bowne and Imlay, map. But if you're having a look around Red Hook, just continue straight out Van Brunt.

Hope this helps now more.

When in June?

:cool:

Hi,

I was planning out my driving directions to get to Brooklyn Pier for our upcoming cruise on Princess in June. We live in Northern NJ and are debating whether it is wise to drive into Manhattan and then down through Chinatown, etc to take the bridge over to Brooklyn or is it smarter for us to drive down the turnpike and getoff on 278 Cross over Staten Island and come in to Brooklyn that way.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The reason I ask is that the cruise departs on a Friday so I think traffic may be an issue.

Hi,

If I were you, I'd take the Holland Tunnel, West St. to the Battery Tunnel. The exit for the ship terminal is just beyond the toll plaza. It would be out of your way to go through Staten Island...imho.:)

http://www.inredhook.com/cruises/terminal/

Check out more info at that link.

Depending on the time of day there is another way to go. Across the GWB down the FDR drive(east river drive) to the Brooklyn Bridge. Over the BB stay in the middle lane. Go straight ahead(not the first exit to your right). To Atlantic Avenue. Right on Atlantic to the end make a left and then the first right and follow the signs. I wouldn't do this during the evening rush hour but its 40 minutes without traffic from Englewood hospital. During evening rush hour it will be faster using the west side highway to the Brooklyn Battery tunnel. During the morning rush hour also the Holland Tunnel tends to be the least crowded(no trucks are allowed to use it during the morning rush to Manhattan). Going to the Staten Island expressway adds at least 15 miles and has loads of truck traffic, Neither the east side Highway(FDR) nor the West side highway until you get to the traffic lights allow trucks which makes the driving somewhat easier.

Friday after 10:30 am or so the traffic shouldn't be too bad and personally I would go the FDR way. Just listen to the radio and if they are reporting 2 hour waits to get on the GWB go another way.

I agree with smeyer418 on using the FDR from the GWB. Also, since you are local, listen in on traffic reports on 880 or 1010 AM.

If traffic reports suddenly indicate problems on the FDR once you have started in this direction, you can always cross the Triboro Bridge into Queens (toll involved), continue east (a short way) on the Grand Central Parkway, to the exit for the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (at its start). There's almost no traffic on the BQE from here until Brooklyn.

At this writing, I would avoid any thought of crossing Canal Street to the Manhattan Bridge, due to a major long-term construction project on this bridge. It might be OK; but, I wouldn't chance it. Use the Brooklyn Bridge, and follow the instructions listed elsewhere in this posting.

Another option is the Lincoln Tunnel. Only use this if traffic reports indicate problems at the Holland Tunnel. And, don't try to cross town here! Head for 12th Avenue, and continue south to Chambers Street, and cross to the Brooklyn Bridge there.

Remember that the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel is an option, although another toll is involved. (There are tolls crossing from New Jersey into Manhattan, but none on either the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridges.) The tunnel surfaces right at the cruise terminal. But, due to the lay of the land, it's a bit involved to get there. You must get off the Gowanus immediately as it start its rise (ALL the way on the right), and make a U-turn at the first available traffic signal. Continue just about as far as you can go (to Van Brunt Street), and turn left. You can't miss it from here.

Of course, if you DON'T want to drive anywhere in Manhattan, or radio reports indicate problems at the crossings, going through Staten Island is a viable, albeit long, option.

what airport should you fly into????? If you want to stay near the pier any suggestions. How to get from airport to hotel, taxi I know are there any shuttles that could be cheaper.

To the pier in Brooklyn you best options are either JFK or LGA--LGA is closest at about 10 miles. The closest hotel of choice has been the Brooklyn marriott but there will be more hotels opening soon. If there are two of you the difference in price for a shuttle makes it not a good alternative. A cab from LGA to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal should be less than $35.00. Personally I prefer car services that charge about the same. my preference is Arecibo(especially back from the pier when getting a cab is a hassle) 718 7836465.

While EWR may be an option cabs are most expensive running about $70.00 or more. Getting back is also a hassle. Again a car service may be the best rate and easiest way if you go to EWR.

i think going via the holland is the most direct route. when i went last year (i live in Hoboken) I was at the ship in 20 min

You should look at some the postings when I suggested going this way. Obviously from where you live the Holland Tunnel is the closest. It is also the closest most direct way from Newark airport.

Where in NJ are you coming from? As all roads lead to NYC **S **

We live in N NNJ x 172 GSP and take the P I P to GW to E or W HWY then down about ten miles and to the BBT ..

Hope this helps now more.

When in June?

:cool:

Take care of her for me! I'm on when you get off!:D

You should look at some the postings when I suggested going this way. Obviously from where you live the Holland Tunnel is the closest. It is also the closest most direct way from Newark airport.

thanks. and thank you for your info last year about the pier, it was extremely helpful

What about driving from central PA? Last summer when we sailed on the Crown we arrived at the Brooklyn terminal via 78-278-Verrazano (sp?) bridge. Is there a better way? I agree that we spent a long time on parkway after the bridge. We are sailing on 6/26 which is a Tuesday.

What about driving from central PA? Last summer when we sailed on the Crown we arrived at the Brooklyn terminal via 78-278-Verrazano (sp?) bridge. Is there a better way? I agree that we spent a long time on parkway after the bridge. We are sailing on 6/26 which is a Tuesday.

I would go slightly differently which is 78 to 1-9 north via the skyway for cars to the holland tunnel and then you can either go through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel or the Brooklyn Bridge(and follow the directions above). You can also stay on 78 to the NJ Turnpike to the Holland Tunnel but I find 1-9(via the skyway) faster.

I really avoid the BQE most of the time but there are times that the V-N way and the BQE will be faster.

thanks. and thank you for your info last year about the pier, it was extremely helpful

You are welcome. We have been going down to the Redhook area a lot lately new restuarants and new stores but I am not looking forward to them opening Ikea(although I do like the meatballs)...it will really add traffic to this small area.

We'll try the I-9 skyway this summer. Not that the Crown is hard to miss when it is in port, it is just trying to figure out the best way to get to it even when it is clearly in sight!

BTW you take 78 to the last exit just before the NJ Turnpike to get on 1-9 North....good luck if you go over the Brooklyn Bridge you will be able to see the Crown Princess mid span to your right.

Archived