Dress codes for Baltic tours? Palaces, etc

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding day wear for tours on the Baltic tours and town.

I am especially wondering about days in St. Petersberg where we will visit the Hermitage and Catherine's Palace, etc.

I assume that our days in the smaller towns such as Visby and Tallin can be pretty casual (which I like) but I wonder what sort of attire most will be wearing on our tours in St. Petersburg and also on our day trip to Berlin.

Do people wear really casual comfortable clothes or do they tend to be a little more dressy?

Any input or suggestions most appreciated!

We were on this cruise last June. People dressed comfortably for the tours and there is certainly no dress code. I wore sneakers. There is an awful lot of walking so this really helped and I didn't feel at all out of place. This said, I found the Russians to be better dressed than they were last time I was there in the '70's. I would suggest trousers, a sweater and perhaps a windbreaker, depending on the weather. It can be really hot or cool and blowy!!

On our Baltics cruise last year (and we were also on RSSC) we wore casual clothing. Basically I wear black or khaki slacks and a knit top and sweater or windbreaker (it is a Burberry so fairly dressy). I never wear sneakers, but wear instead either sandals or a pair of black walking shoes. Everyone on our excursions was similarly dressed. You will love the itinerary!

Cheers, Pam

I agree with the others. We had something dressy with us for evening excursions in St. Petersburg, but the museums and palaces were casual. I still felt better in slacks than jeans.

Wear the most padded, comfortable shoes you can! :eek:

We have been to the Baltics twice, both times in late Aug. and early Sept. The first time was sunny but cool, the 2nd time ( last year) was cool and rainy. It is a wonderful trip no matter what the weather. You will love it. I wore khakis or casual slacks ( black) but no jeans. A knit top or light sweater plus windbreaker is good. The last time I used a rain proof jacket fram Lands End that was perfect. Try to layer since the mornings are cool but afternoons are pleasant. I did wear sneakers since there is a lot of walking. Most of the people on our tours wore sneakers or casual loafers with socks. It is too cool for shorts and for me capri's. The nights we did the concert in St. Petersburg I wore dressy slacks, nicer shoes ( no heels because there is alot of cobblestones) and a nice top. Nothing too dressy. Everyone was pretty casual ( nice) but comfortable.

You will love St. Petersburg and the Hermitage. Have a great trip.

Archived