Las Caletas?

Cortesefam

Making final excursion plans, and wondering if anyone had tried the Las Caletas excursion through Royal Caribbean or Vallarta Adventures. We'll be travelling with our two kids, 8 and 11.

Sounds like a great day in the sun, and sail across the bay in PV, but wanted to check for any recent experiences or advice.

THANKS

We did this tour a few years ago on our Princess cruise and will probably do it again next year on our Disney cruise with the kids. It is a nice relaxing day at the beach without being bothered by vendors on the beach. You take their boat across the bay. I believe it took about 45 minutes. They offered continental type breakfast if you wanted it. You could sign up for a massage at a reasonable price if you wanted it. Once on shore they had a cooking demonstration, nature hike, kayaking, but no snorkeling because on that day there was jelly fish in the water. My husband still laughs (complains) about how fun I was to kayak with because I was afraid he would dump us out of the kayak into the water where I could SEE all the jellyfish in the water. Lunch buffet was included as was drinks, kid kind and adult kind. It was more of a party atmosphere on the way back with the drinks flowing and the deck hands dancing trying to loosen everyone up before they passed the tip can around but it wasn't out of control and I feel comfortable bringing my kids who are very young. It was a nice day and very beautiful. PV is very jungly and green. Amy

We went to Las Caletas 2 years ago with my then 6 year old grandson and HAD A BALL! We do the Mexican Riviera 2 to 3 times a year on Princess, and this is the very best, by far, excursion we have been on. The kids have a super time, as do the adults. We all love the beach and now just go to the Krystal Hotel when in PV.

Hola from PV! First, the Krystal does not charge extra for cruise ship passengers to use their facilities. You can walk from the terminal marina where you will be docked, either along the highway or along the beach. Very nice resort. Caletas is a great place! Lots to do, good tour and I have to admit, my son is an activities director on these boats..changes each day so if you go, ask if JOE is on board!!! Tell him he better take good care of you or you will send a nasty email to his Mom! Have a great time whatever you do!

Have seen several posts about a tour of three tequila factories in PV but Princess apparently no longer offers this excursion. PVPam, do you know anyone in PV that would take a group of six to ten people on such an excursion?

We did this tour on our April sailing of the Mercury. What a great day!

We tried to book this excursion on our own but Celebrity had the crew booked directly already so we had to book it through Celebrity. It turned out, however, that there were many other people joining us that day from the various hotels around PV. I think there were 4 to 6 of us from the Mercury.

Anyway, they served a light breakfast and beverages on the trip to Las Caletas. When you dock at Las Caletas, you walk along the beach and find a spot to spend the day. They have snorkeling, innertubes and a floating deck. It was an absolutely delightful day.

There were two gals on the trip out that scheduled massages while at Las Caletas. The gal I had did a great job and it was half the price it would have been on the ship. The massage area is up a steep hill but worth the climb.

The lunch served was grilled chicken and another meat (can't remember what it was) with rice and some other stuff. The food was good but nothing to write home about.

I felt the trip was a bit expensive but I would go again in a heartbeat. It was one of the absolute best beach days I've ever had.

Got a question.... well actually a couple! How was the ride out to the beach? DH gets seasick pretty easily, but this sounds like a wonderful day in PV for our return in 2006. Is it a friendly trip across the harbor, or do you hit open water at any time? What size boat was it? Small like water taxi, or larger?

Also, are the other activities like kayaking included in the price, or is there a seperate charge?

Suzie,

It's nice to be able to answer YOUR question for a change. Thanks for all your advice by the way. Our trip was so great!

Regarding Las Caletas. IT's A MUST!

The 'boat' trip out took about an hour. It was a 'Tri-maran' about 40', maybe 45'. My brother also gets sea sick fairly easy and had no problem. The time on Las Caletas was simply over too soon. We found a great spot on the beach and had chairs right above the water. Banana boats, kayaking, snorkeling, and 'floating inner tubes' were free. Also..my sister in law raved about the spa out there. Very inexpensive in a beautiful outdoor setting and FAR better services than ship prices. Lunch and all drinks were included. The staff came out to the beach to deliver whatever you were drinking. Water was amazing and we all had a great time. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Suzie,

It's nice to be able to answer YOUR question for a change. Thanks for all your advice by the way. Our trip was so great!

Regarding Las Caletas. IT's A MUST!

I am so glad that you had a good time!! And thank you for your information about Las Caletas. It sounds like a wonderful day, especially with our daughter, who will be 12 when we go back to PV in 2006. Sounds like they have enough to keep you busy. I was worried about the boat ride for DH. But is sounds pretty tame! Thanks so much!!!

Yes, we did have a blast. My daughters, 6 and 18, and my niece who's 8, loved the day in Las Caletas too. I think that it has something for every age.

There are two excursions out to Las Caletas. (Or at least for our ship these were the options) One leaves at 830am and returns around 2:30pm. The other leaves around 5pm and returns by 10:00, I believe. The second is called 'Rhythms of the Night'. It sounds like a great 'romantic' time and includes a show on the island. I was tempted to do both but as it turned out it was raining so hard at 5pm they cancelled many of the evening tours. I don't think that you could stay for the second part but perhaps you could contact them and find out. I'm sure the charge would be double, as they sell out on most every day. The web site is http://www.vallarta-adventures.com (We could not book independently as RCCL books the entire tour for the days in Puerto Vallarta. Has to be done via the ship excursions...but well worth the $76!)

I can't help you with what Carnival does but do know that you can email the tour folks directly via their website. They answered several emails from me, all within 24 hours, even though I had not booked anything at that point. They are very knowledgeable about the ships and which ones are in port and offer which excursions, so you may want to ask them. RCCL charges $76 per person (adults) and I believe it was around $34 for kids. I'm sure Carnival would be close to the same.

Archived