Tender into Cozumel?

lookin4ward

on which ship you're on and how many ships are in port that day. And as far as what's changed since Hurricane Wilma, (Katrina was here in the US), most of the things have been cleaned up and repaired since then, with the exception of the Carnival Pier (forgot the name of it) and I've heard the snorkeling isn't as good as it was pre-Wilma.

We loved it!

My PVP told me that everything has been fixed up even better than before the hurricanes and there is no more tendering. All of the piers are operational.

ROFLMAO! Your PVP told you this??? LMAO! Tell your PVP they haven't even started working on rebuilding the Carnival pier :rolleyes: TWO of the piers are operational, and I believe one of those is still only partially operational... depending on the ship and date, there are still ships that are tendering.

We tendered on the Fantasy in January...

Currently Cozumel can accomodate 4 ships (5 if there are some smaller ones) docked, the rest tender... last I heard they were forcasting the Carnival pier for fall of 08, but I think it's probably been pushed back further... it's going to be a long time still before Coz is anywhere close to where it was before Wilma... Some PVP's should not be allowed to even work for Carnival...

Docks have changed a lot since Wilma but change everytime we go there since the hurricane. I wouldn't base going there on a cruise due to tendering options however. The people of Cozumel have made tremendous strides towards getting everything up and running since Wilma.

We docked there on May 1, 2006 and were amazed at how much work had been done on the pier areas. Granted there was still work to be done but the work to be done did not hinder our great experience on the island.

We happened to be there on Mexico's Labor Day and witnessed scores of workers walking 5 - 8 abreast down the streets to celebrate their accomplishments. Knowing how much destruction they had suffered on the island a few months before and how much they had worked to get their port up and running again, DH & I were amonth the cruisers who watced the entire Labor Day parade and appluaded the workers for what they had done in such a limited amount of time.

Dianne

On the Holiday! The Costa Magica tied up next to us and left before we did ... everything was in great working order! Loved our day there. How'd you like the exchange of boat horns when they were leaving? Cool, huh!!

Docks have changed a lot since Wilma but change everytime we go there since the hurricane. I wouldn't base going there on a cruise due to tendering options however. The people of Cozumel have made tremendous strides towards getting everything up and running since Wilma.

We docked there on May 1, 2006 and were amazed at how much work had been done on the pier areas. Granted there was still work to be done but the work to be done did not hinder our great experience on the island.

We happened to be there on Mexico's Labor Day and witnessed scores of workers walking 5 - 8 abreast down the streets to celebrate their accomplishments. Knowing how much destruction they had suffered on the island a few months before and how much they had worked to get their port up and running again, DH & I were amonth the cruisers who watced the entire Labor Day parade and appluaded the workers for what they had done in such a limited amount of time.

Dianne

Dianne

I agree, they have done a tremendous job!! The fact that they even have 2 of the piers operational after what they went through is wonderful... the Carnival pier was completely destroyed... there are barely remnants left, so naturally it is going to take quite some time... but even the tendering process wasn't THAT bad (granted, it took us almost 2 hours to get off the ship, but tendering back wasn't bad at all...)

On the Holiday! The Costa Magica tied up next to us and left before we did ... everything was in great working order! Loved our day there. How'd you like the exchange of boat horns when they were leaving? Cool, huh!!

Our entire day in Cozumel that May 1 was very memorable to us, from the construction workers to the private vendors and on to the locals working in the regular stores along the shopping strip. We saw it as a day of dignity to honor the workers who had helped put Cozumel back on the map for tourists in order for them to earn a living again.

It had to take many back breaking hours to do the work they did in such a short time.

I can honestly say I don't remember ther ships' horns that day. I think DH & I were too occupied in Poncho's Backyard by that point. :D

Dianne

we just got off of the Holiday on 5/3/07 we ported in Cozumel and there is no tendering, as soon as you get off of the ship you will c Senor Frogs and you will walk right through the mall there. If you've never been there word of advice, if you plan on wanting to shop you truly have to go no further than the mall, all of the stores are the same no matter where or how far u walk down. We were all about shopping and ended up spending our whole day looking at the same things and prices. We did go to the Mayan Ruins though, that was neat to c 4 me but b careful if that's something your not that interested in seeing, it costed us $80 for the taxi + tip, but we can say that we saw it. Another couple that cruised w/ us rented a jeep for $35 they talked them down from $50, they had a better time than we did, take advantaged of ur time there and go to the beach, the taxi ride there I think is about $6 p.p. the ocean is beautiful there if u have any other questions just ask. P.S. check out Carlos and Charlies and Senor Frogs alot going on there and if you like 2 drink and have fun that's the place 2 b!!

My PVP told me that everything has been fixed up even better than before the hurricanes and there is no more tendering. All of the piers are operational.

We were on the Miracle in Feb. There must have been seven (7) ships tendering:eek: , including the Miracle and Holiday. A Disney ship, an NCL ship and and RCCL ship were also tendering and I think a Celebrity ship. There were two or three ships docked that day(Feb. 14th). Tell your PVP to do a little more research before assuring you things. It should make you wonder if she/he is getting you the best rates and letting you know if the rate drops, it would me...I've used a PVP on all of my Carnival cruises until the one we have booked next year and will probably never use one again. Back to a trusty TA that will work for me. Sorry if this sounds like I am brow beating you, I'm just trying to give you the heads up on misinformation from Carnival's PVP's, not trying to get on you. Hope you do well and have a great cruise.

Does anyone know if they are still tendering into Cozumel? Also, has the docking area changed since Katrina? Thanks for the info.
You may want to check out http://www.cruisecal.com to find out how many ships will be in port the day you are there.

I believe that Carnival owns one of the piers so if there is only one or two Carnival ships in port your chances are good for being docked.

Charlie

You may want to check out www.cruisecal.com to find out how many ships will be in port the day you are there.

I believe that Carnival owns one of the piers so if there is only one or two Carnival ships in port your chances are good for being docked.

Charlie

Actually the "Carnival pier" or puerta maya pier was totally destroyed by wilma, they are currently in the process of rebuilding it with a opening date sometime in 2008. Otherwise Cozumel now can dock four large ships or at times five. From now till mid October I do not for see a day that all ships will not dock.. :)

Archived