Alaska cruise 2008 ~ when to book?

bewitchedwitch

Just yesterday we came up with the great idea to take an Alaska cruise next year June 2008. Well, I did some research on Expedia and whenever I punch in 4 people, it says that there are no rooms available. Can that be? How early do you really need to book for a cruise more than a year away?

The problem is that I'd have to come up with a $1000 deposit to book it. Right now we are saving money to pay off our November '07 cruise, plus saving up money for a short vacation we are taking at the end of this month, so there is just no way I can come up with the deposit right now.

So, when do most people book an Alaska cruise?

Find out when the cruise first starts booking and do it ASAP because the cruise industry is booming and ships fill up fast. If your desired cruise is full or you can't get the kind of cabin you want, go on the wait list. Chances are there will be cancellations and you will get what you want.

Just because the X website says a cruise is full, doesn't mean it really is. TAs who've taken blocks of cabins will probably have some that don't book by the deadline and will be put back into the system or sometimes when the final payment is due, people drop out. It's probably good to have a TA looking for you so you don't have to check the website every day.

Worst case scenario, you may have to change itineraries and just be forced to do the original choice later, booking more in advance. So many cruises, so little time!! :)

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ -- booked on MR cruise

Hi: We booked May 2008 already on the Millenium to alaska out of San Francisco - I notice our room category is practically full already - so I guess it depends on what type of room and therefore how many there are as to how fast they fill up. I agree with a previous post saying its never "too early" to reserve to get the cabin you want!

Good luck

I booked a repo cruise to Alaska for 9/22/08 several weeks ago. I certainly wasn't thinking about a 2008 cruise but received an e-mail from Celebrity and it was such a great price I called a couple of friends and we booked as soon as we could. The Sky Suites with the best balconies were already snatched up so one of our cabins is on 6 and the other on deck 7. We had just returned from a trip on the POH around Hawaii, the bills for that hadn't even arrived yet so booking another trip was the last thing I was planning.

One hint, though. If you are a member of a very well known auto association you can book a cruise with only a $25 deposit through them.(if it's one of their preferred cruiselines) It's called a cruise bank or something of that nature.

Hope this helps.

I booked Alaska - May 2008 in April. I was afraid that we wouldn't get the cabin we wanted if we waited.

Soooooooo at least it isn't quite a whole year away any more hehehe

For me that's the worst part about early booking. You have to wait so darn long to actually GO!

Archived