Shouldn't we be hearing about Solstice debut?

joeinsb

Maybe I missed the thread, but shouldn't we be hearing about, or seeing information about the 2008 debut of Solstice? We're eager to book and time's a wasting. And it's about time for deck plans and itineraries to show up. So what gives?

Maybe I missed the thread, but shouldn't we be hearing about, or seeing information about the 2008 debut of Solstice? We're eager to book and time's a wasting. And it's about time for deck plans and itineraries to show up. So what gives?

Hi Joe !

That seems to be the $ 64,000 question :). We ALL want to know this information. Unfortunately, just about every cruise line these days operate under a huge veil of secrecy, especially for a new class of ship as Solstice is. I understand that. I keep hoping we will hear more about Solstice soon, but exactly when ? It's hard to say.

IMHO, I cant understand why Celebrity has not released itinerary/deployment information for Solstice. Most of the other Cruise lines (including Celebrity) have their Winter 2008 itineraries out. IMHO, this is a bad decision by Celebrity to drag their feet on deployment information, especially since Celebrity has NO ships doing a 7 night Caribbean itinerary out of South Florida (so far) for Winter 2008. I know most of us feel that Solstice will be the ship replacing Millennium, but it would be nice if Celebrity let us know this.

Every day that Celebrity waits on letting us know this information, is another day that bookings will be lost to the competition, as most of us want to plan their vacations in advance. Not a good plan if you ask me.

How about it Celebrity ? Please let us know some of your plans for Solstice !

Welcome back Andy!

I, too, am waiting for Solstice information. I have my birthday 2k9 cruise booked on the new Liberty, but I'd consider switching to Solstice if it has a cruise during that time.

Waiting, waiting, waiting....

felix-cat_pacing-ani.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival Splendor doesn't start sailing until July 2008, and they've been taking reservations for weeks! With no information on Solstice, I'm very close to booking (*) on CCL's Splendor. Their new ship includes a Thelassotherapy pool in the (40,000 sq ft 2 deck) spa! Will the drydock for Galaxy include removing it's T-Pool, like they did on Century? Seems CCL is picking up the slack. And, they're not abandining the Caribbean.

* Please X, don't make me do it!

Carnival Splendor doesn't start sailing until July 2008, and they've been taking reservations for weeks! With no information on Solstice, I'm very close to booking (*) on CCL's Splendor. Their new ship includes a Thelassotherapy pool in the (40,000 sq ft 2 deck) spa! Will the drydock for Galaxy include removing it's T-Pool, like they did on Century? Seems CCL is picking up the slack. And, they're not abandining the Caribbean.

* Please X, don't make me do it!

Hi Denb !

I hope you dont either, but I am betting you wont be the first booking Solstice has lost, due to some bad decision making at Celebrity. I totally agree, that it is time we hear more about Solstice's itineraries, as I mentioned in my post above.

FYI, I called Celebrity last week, and the answer I recieved about when we would hear more about itineraries was "we have no idea Sir". I guess I shouldnt be very surprised with that answer. All we can do, is wait... and wait... and wait.

Has construction actually started yet? I understand that it's to be built by Meyer Werft, but looking at their building hall webcam, they're still working hard on AIDABella and Norwegian Gem (which is nearly finished).

Perhaps they're waiting until construction actually commences (from which point they presumably control their own destiny) before publishing any schedules?

Here's the link to the Meyer Werft webcam:

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=2&subs=0&did=826

Has construction actually started yet? I understand that it's to be built by Meyer Werft, but looking at their building hall webcam, they're still working hard on AIDABella and Norwegian Gem (which is nearly finished).

Perhaps they're waiting until construction actually commences (from which point they presumably control their own destiny) before publishing any schedules?

Here's the link to the Meyer Werft webcam:

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=2&subs=0&did=826

It was my understanding that Solstice is under construction NEXT to NCL Gem. It is under construction in Hall 6, their site says.

It was my understanding that Solstice is under construction NEXT to NCL Gem. It is under construction in Hall 6, their site says.

Hi Darren !

I dont care which Hall Solstice is being built in. I dont even care if it's Monty Hall :). I just want to hear more details about her, and see photos of her construction.

Hopefully, Celebrity will let us know a bit more about Solstice in the coming months.

Has construction actually started yet?

From the Celebrity site Press Room Details:

Celebrity Solstice keel-laying ceremony

Miami - (March 19, 2007 ) -

sol_green_keel_02.jpgGuests at the keel laying ceremony for the Miami-based Celebrity Cruises' newest ship, 'Celebrity Solstice', watch as the 600-ton keel is laid in place at Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, Saturday, March 17, 2007. The company will reveal later this year the first compelling feature that will make the 122,000 ton ship, which launches in October 2008, truly unique in the industry.

sol_green_keel.jpgCelebrity Cruises’ President Dan Hanrahan (right), along with Executive Vice President, Maritime, Harri Kulovaara, paints the keel of the Miami-based company’s newest ship, Celebrity Solstice, green at Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, Saturday, March 17, 2007. Company officials would not reveal why they were breaking tradition to paint the keel green, but did state that neither the luck of the Irish nor the fact that Celebrity Solstice will be the most energy-efficient ship they have ever built had anything to do with it.

They've lost my booking for 2008 on the Solstice. I opted for the Connie repo cruise instead. I'd be sad, but for some reason they let me have a Family cabin on the corner. I dont' know why they would release to me for just 2 people, but with that in mind, I added my daughter to the cabin and booked a second cabin for family.

Ah! So the two pictures on the Meyer Werft site are of two different buildings, not left & right in the same buildings.

That being so, it must be Solstice to the left of Norwegian Gem, in the lower image on the webcam page .

Yes, Solstice is in Building Dock II. click me

Look at their press releases for all information, or enter Solstice in their Search engine.

I really can't blame the cruise line. Look at how much it cost them for the one day delay for Journey. Most of the cruise lines end up giving a free cruise if a ship isn't ready in time for booked cruises. And people still complain they will never cruise with that line again because they were inconvenienced.

Just curious - how far in advance does the average person book? I'm not talking about cruise professionals on this board looking for a specific room, but the average person.

Archived