What's the most ridiculous clothing (or lack of) that you've ever seen on a cruise?

lmurf

Saw a woman on "formal night" in a silver lame cocktail dress that was (charitably) two sizes too small, no pantyhose and plastic light-up platform sandals. Didn't break any dress codes, but certainly was not in good taste!

Jane, put it this way....if that woman were sitting next to me and started talking to me I wouldn't ignore her.

Oh ok, I understand.

Basically, I wouldn't ignore anyone who spoke to me unless they were rude or drunk.

After a couple of sentences I determine whether I want to continue conversing or politely ending the conversation. That of course is based on what they're saying, not what they're wearing.

I said I wouldn't go up to her and speak with her in passing because I'm shy, just as I wouldn't go up to a person who was dressed very formally for the same reason. If that woman were to be sitting next to me in a lounge and started talking to me, I would definitely listen to her because I'm not a rude person and I would hear what she had to say. If she were a nice and sincere person, then I would continue to be interested in speaking with her and only because she was "nice and sincere".

I'm not so bold as to go up to a complete stranger and start chatting them up, but I'm also not as shy as you. I can strike up a conversation with a stranger with one phrase, like "gee, that mojito looks delicious" and see if they're open for a few sentences.

But my point is, we all judge people as a way of deciding if we want to strike up that conversation at all. It has nothing to do with if that person is "nice" or "not nice". It's about looking at others and seeing if we think there's going to be a common ground. And yes, of course nothing is 100% foolproof.

On my cruise last week, during the muster drill DH & I were seated at a large table of about 10 people. Three ladies traveling together all had a certain, "look" or "style" that said to me that they weren't very sophisticated and I'd have little in common with them. After exchanging a few pleasant comments we ran out of things to talk about and after the drill we wished each other a nice cruise and that was that. They weren't "my type" and I wasn't their's. Nothing wrong with that at all and it doesn't mean that none of us weren't "nice" We all judged each other by our looks and our follow-up conversation confirmed our judgements. They judged me as much as I judged them.

I really try not to judge too many people on what they look like. Of course sometimes we all do...but I have learned from what my family went through. I am Jewish and my father in law is a holocaust survivor. He lost his whole family in the holocaust...but that is a totally different topic. It's very unfortunate that people judge people by their beliefs and practices in this world and it's totally unfair. If everyone were the same, the world would be quite boring. We are all flowers in life's garden. That is how I look at it. :)

Well, you're bringing up a whole different element of prejudice here. I'm also jewish and have family that were in the concentration camps. Some survived, others didn't. I've also experienced prejudice when people said terrible things about jewish people in front of me because they didn't think I was "one of them".

But that's an entirely different issue. I think that here we're discussing what people choose to wear and how they present themselves in society.

The term "right out of Central Casting" works! ;)

Hard to define. Demeanor. It's that infinitesimal learned something we all carry to one degree or other, like it or not, in our demeanor, manner, carriage, comportment, etc. that belies whether we are "real", or "phony." It's that essense of us that shows confidence, empathy & that we are truly interested in others rather than ourselves and makes others want to engage us in conversation, get to know us, etc as well. Similar to the person you mentioned at a near table dining who was bombastic & rude.....He did NOT bear himself well, eh? Even if he was wearing Armani.....his "bearing" belied all else and told you who he was, not someone you're likely to engage in a relationship with. Hope that explains.

Thanks for the explaination. Now I understand "bearing" and it speaks exactly to my point!

We all judge each other by our demeaner, manner and carriage. And we make those impressions within about 30 seconds of meeting one another.

A wolf in sheeps clothing is still seen as a wolf! ;)

Saw a woman on "formal night" in a silver lame cocktail dress that was (charitably) two sizes too small, no pantyhose and plastic light-up platform sandals. Didn't break any dress codes, but certainly was not in good taste!

Oh, my. I would love to have seen that. LOL.

What's the most ridiculous clothing (or lack of) that you've ever seen on a cruise? Once we saw a guy walk into "formal night" dinner wearing flip flops! And, to beat it all, he obviously had not had a good pedicure!

On our very first cruise with the Sovereign, my wife and I saw a group of very fun loving women in their 60's- 70's wearing Visor caps with a complete fishing village scene on them... I'm talking the pier, the boat, boathouse, Pelican, seaweed. All five had a different nautical scene, approx. 3" to 4" high ! At dinner they wore the hats with gold lame' glitter matching outfits... They were the talk of the ship , and EVERYBODY turned to look. Like I said they were having fun and that's what it's all about, but my wife and I still get a kick out of those Ladies today !:p

One night in the dining room we saw a man dressed in a suit, but when he turned around he was wearing fake rubber nude butt cheeks over his pants. We happened to be standing next to the Head Waiter and we just look at each other.

Princess to Alaska......mostly elderly (hey, I'm 54) and the night club was DEAD really dead, never more than 6-8 people in it at a time. 3 people dancing, one was dancing alone, almost like willing the party to improve, she was in her mid 60's easily, wearing a pink cowboy hat and matching boots, and we found out she was a travel agent traveling with her daughter who like her mom, wore various cowboy hats and matching boots, in pastels. They really stood out. But what was even funnier was the fact she came over to us and tried to get my DH to dance with her, he declined so she sat with us, uninvited and continued to flirt. He wanted to crawl under the table, afterwards, I laughed and laughed.......... All the time she kept saying all the other princess cruises were wild and crazy times...... This one rolled up the sidewalks at 8:30pm.

Maybe she couldn't get the hootchie mama boots off from the night before :)

Knee-high boots..nothing wrong with them really but it was so early in the morning and I can't imagine why anyone would bother packing those things for a cruise

Our first cruise was a RCCL on the Monarch of the seas. We were above the pool looking for a lounge chair and we saw him. Oh boy did everyone see all of him, lol.

He was about 65-70 years old with a HUGE belly, about 9 months pregnant huge. In a skimpy purple speedo. I mean skimpy, it is burned into my briain forever. You could see every detail:eek: .

Wow! Barnie even cruises!

Our first cruise was a RCCL on the Monarch of the seas. We were above the pool looking for a lounge chair and we saw him. Oh boy did everyone see all of him, lol.

He was about 65-70 years old with a HUGE belly, about 9 months pregnant huge. In a skimpy purple speedo. I mean skimpy, it is burned into my briain forever. You could see every detail:eek: .

:rolleyes:

I really haven't seen anything worn on a cruise ship I would call odd.

But I do remember fondly one time when I THOUGHT I did!

DH&I were in airport baggage, waiting with a couple in their early 80's for our cruise transfer to ship. They were wearing sun hats, bermudas, luau shirts and, the first two pair of crocs with white socks I'd ever seen.

My first thought was....oh dear, poor things "forgot" and left their gardening shoes on when they left for the airport. I was mesmerized.

We struck up conversation and they were wonderfully fun. ..obviously no dementia........and I decided they must be going to use them as beach shoes and I bet they don't pack well.

Who knew?

I just remembered one of the odd things that I saw a few cruises back...We had just gotten on the ship, so no luggage had been delivered. I say that because I thought maybe that was what happened in this case. (That this womans luggage was delayed for a long period of time) There was an older woman laying near the pool with a pair of nice shorts and her black bra. It was NOT a bathing suit top. It was an old fashioned "old lady bra". Her blouse was neatly hanging off the back of her chair. It didn't really look bad, or even out of place at first glance. But the more I THOUGHT about it, the odder it seemed. Did she walk by the pool and think.. "hmmm...I'll just take off my shirt here...":confused:

The woman with the black bra sunning herself was probably a European. My Euro cousins go everywhere sporty wearing really fancy bras in fabulous colors. Whenever we hiked in the mountains with them and stopped to have our picnic or out on the sailboat, they'd whip off their tops and sit around in their bras taking in the sun. Seemed like a great idea to me but not with the practical bras we were wearing!

I know this was mentioned before, but speedos serve no purpose for lying around the pool area or for free swimming. Last cruise we were on we were at the pool, and this average shaped mid 40's man climbs out of the pool in the brightest yellow, smallest, tighest speedo I have ever seen. Sadly, I was not alone at the pool, my then 7 year old DD turns to me (in a child's version of whispering) says " Mommy what is that bulge in that man's suit?" I about died, however many of the others sitting around me turned to see how said that and all looked expectantly at me for my response. In the most vaguest of words I tried to explain:eek: He looked like he was wearing a banana hammock. Then my daughter wanted to know why Daddy didn't wear one of those, I told her she should ask him when he joins us:eek:

Now as a swimmer myself, I know that those are the best when racing or exercising, but not just hanging out in.

Next point, I agree with the others, everyone views what is on the outside of a person first. It does not mean that if we think their clothing choices need some work that we would be rude to them. It just means we are being human and observing what is around us, sometimes it is more interesting than other times.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Ewww! I just looked at a CC member's formal night profile pic.. GROSS!!! It is SO trashy! Not to mention she doesn't even have the body for it! I can't even imagine the looks she got when she wore that thing at dinner. Like not even a Pussycat Doll would wear it :rolleyes:

Ewww! I just looked at a CC member's formal night profile pic.. GROSS!!! It is SO trashy! Not to mention she doesn't even have the body for it! I can't even imagine the looks she got when she wore that thing at dinner. Like not even a Pussycat Doll would wear it :rolleyes:

Ohhhh, I think I no which one you might be talking about.:eek: Is there maybe a certain Star Wars reference involved? If it's the same one I'm thinking of, YUCK!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dawn Princess, Sept 2003-Alaska

First formal night-Captain's cocktail party-gentleman spent the ENTIRE evening in his pajamas and robe from home. When we first saw him, we thought he was just "passing through" on his way from the gym.

He was not allowed in the dining room, but was allowed anyplace else on the ship. Either very eccentric or VERY rich. Who did he think he is-Hugh Hefner???

Very weird!!!

Oh.....my.....GOD.

I just found the pictures y'all are talking about. I don't see how she wasn't stopped as soon as she left her cabin wearing that garbage. Did they actually let her into the dining room wearing that doilie? Did she mug a hooker and steal her clothes?

I can promise you, if I had been on the same cruise as she was and I saw her, I would have laughed myself silly. It's beyond unbelievable that she thinks she looks good in that thing. AND IS THAT COD PIECE ON FRONT OF IT???? ROFLMAO. :D :D :D

Archived