Grocery availability at lodges?

Mezzaluna

We're taking the Princess land tour (11S to be exact) starting on July 5. We were curious about whether we can expect to find places to buy soda and snacks to carry with us on the daytime excursions.

They don't have a particular accommodation listed for the two nights in Fairbanks, but we're at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge one night and at the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge for two nights after that.

We wondered whether it's worthwhile to bring a small, softsided cooler along for soda and water.

Depending on where you are in Fairbanks, maybe. We were at the Princess Riverside Lodge (very nice accomodations) and took the shuttle to the Fred Meyer (sort of like a Wal-Mart with an extensive grocery store). It was close enough (although still quite a walk) that in high 80 degree temperature when we decided to walk back to the lodge (about 15-20 minutes, flat most of the way) our 4 pints of Haagen Dazs did soften, but didn't melt. Of course, we should have timed it so that we walked there and took the shuttle back, but the FM is the first stop on the shuttle loop and we probably would have been on the air conditioned bus from FM to Pioneerland to downtown Fairbanks and back for the same amount of time.

One unexpected thing - two cars stopped and offered us rides (two out of shape middle aged ladies) which we politely refused. I had forgotten what it was like to walk in the country and my friend had never experienced such neighborliness towards unknown people.

At Denali Princess there are a number of places around to get food. Many people recommended a place called Bub's Subs, I think. We tried it before our afternoon Tundra Tour, but although everyone around us raved about the food, the only thing we were happy to see was Diet Pepsi (Alaska is Coke country). The subs were nowhere close to the kind of heros, deli sandwiches we were expecting and were the worst things we ate in Alaska.

At Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge we didn't see anything within walking distance in the way of any kind of snacks.

What is weird is I can't remember any soda machines, etc. at any of the lodges. That doesn't mean they weren't there, but I think they weren't. I guess none of us were that thirsty, hungry???

Thanks for the information.

Genessa, your post sparks another question. What can we expect in the way of amenities at the lodges? How much like a cruise will the accommodations and services be? Is it just like any hotel, or more like a cruise?

Hmmm, not like a cruise. More like a really nice motel. Soap and shampoo and conditioner in the rooms. Don't remember about hair dryers, I let my hair dry naturally.

I'll check with my friends, see if they know if no one else can answer that.

There is no room service in the lodges.

Fairbanks Riverside Lodge had an air conditioner, but none of the others did. This annoyed us the minute we walked into each of the rooms, but honestly, by night time (not darkness, but when we were ready for bed icon_smile.gif )it was more than cool enough to sleep comfortably. Mt. McKinley Princess had beautiful ceiling fans, can't remember about Denali. Fairbanks might have had a coffee pot in the room, I'll have to check back on my review, the others didn't.

The rooms were all tastefully decorated with a wilderness lodge theme - bear lamp bases, outdoorsy things decorating the picture frames, etc. If you are at the Fairbanks Riverside Lodge, check out the hall way ceilings.

Denali was the most "motel like" of the group, with building upon building of two level motel rooms. Mt. McKinley was grouped more like single level cottages, but nicer than a cottage on the inside.

All the rooms were nicely sized, with Denali the smallest and the others larger than your average hotel room.

We were at the Captain Cook in Anchorage and this was a world class 4 star hotel. Ice bucket (filled for us) Still no air conditioner though.

It was in the mid to high 80s and even one day hit low 90s when we were interior, that is why I keep saying that.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to be at McKinley Lodge for two nights in July and have the same question about groceries...should I stock up in Anchorage?

What are the restaurants like?

Also, would there be a place at the lodge to check e.mail?

Lisa

Archived