For all you liner buffs - s.s.United States

highcbob

Even though she was not a Cunarder, the "United States" was a true liner in her day. Here is an update from a local paper showing just a little ray of hope that she will return to service one day. I know this 'project' has been on-again-off-again but perhaps some day it just may happen:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/business/20070509_A_grand_ship_may_sail_again.html

Even though she was not a Cunarder, the "United States" was a true liner in her day. Here is an update from a local paper showing just a little ray of hope that she will return to service one day. I know this 'project' has been on-again-off-again but perhaps some day it just may happen:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/business/20070509_A_grand_ship_may_sail_again.html

I had the good fortune to travel in her across the Atlantic twice after graduating from high school. It was a memorable experience to this day.

Thank you for sharing the article. She was a beautiful gal. I hope they will be able to get her back to how she was and maybe even return her to service. If she sails again I'll be one of the first to buy a ticket. That's so sad that her interior was gutted, thank goodness that didn't happen to Mary.

Betsy/534

The "United States" looks very sad rusting away on the Delaware River. Sometimes you can see her when you land at PHL. We were on the "Spirit of Philadelphia" boat trip last year and passed her several times as they travel up and down the river. I left the dinner table to stand outside for a better look....my friends think I'm nuts. I remember watching her sail from New York as a child, and actually attended a bon voyage party held on the ship back when you could do that. I would be truly amazed if they actually do restore her to sail again. :confused:

Realistically the SS United States is finished as a ship.

An external restoration and permanent berthing in, say, New York, might be one answer. Isn't she a National Treasure?

As far as I can see it is that or Alang.

America - your challenge is to prove me wrong without compromising what made her great.

Matthew

A ship like this would be an astronomical undertaking but not impossible. However, restoring the United States would cost a lot of money and take a lot of time. Only deep pockets and a love for the ship can bring her back.

The problem I have is the fact that NCL currently owns it. While they may believe they want to do this task NCL is the freestyle cruise line and I can't see how their approach to cruising can work with the return of a classic liner.

Curious though.

David

How ironic that the SS United States may be heading to Hawaii, where her two great rivals of yesteryear ply the waters: the old SS Constitution & the SS Independence. My last TA was on the United States's sister ship, the SS America (I sailed on all four of these vessels many times). My first TA since the 60's is on QM2 this summer, and I would love to hear from any readers who might share their views of how this new beauty compares to their experience on one of these old classics.

The only hope is that NCL realizes they cannot undertake this fiscal exercise and that they sell the ship to a group that has a different perspective on the dollar and cents of this type of undertaking. The ship is beautiful as all liners are.

How ironic that the SS United States may be heading to Hawaii, where her two great rivals of yesteryear ply the waters: the old SS Constitution & the SS Independence. My last TA was on the United States's sister ship, the SS America (I sailed on all four of these vessels many times). My first TA since the 60's is on QM2 this summer, and I would love to hear from any readers who might share their views of how this new beauty compares to their experience on one of these old classics.

Hi there! here is a very sad, somewhat recent video of what is now left of the former 'United States Lines' ss "America". She was later to be transferred to 'Chandris Lines' ( which is now 'Celebrity Cruises', phew! ) as the ss "Australis" seen here:

http://www.ssaustralishomepage.co.uk/americanstar-clip1.htm

An external restoration and permanent berthing in, say, New York, might be one answer. Isn't she a National Treasure?

America - your challenge is to prove me wrong without compromising what made her great.

Matthew

Matthew,

Having driven past the ship many times, seeing the instantly recognizable stacks from the highway, I read once again with some speculation that NCL will indeed fufill their stated intentions for the ship. Look what they did with the Norway, ex SS France, a fully operating ship at the time. It pains me to say this, but you may well be right. I did read somewhere that a ships survey was done, and although from the outside, she appears rusted, she is completely sound and has been "mothballed" quite effectively. As a liner enthusiast, I hope she is brought back. How NCL can make that work financially is a BIG question.

Matthew

Matthew,

Having driven past the ship many times, seeing the instantly recognizable stacks from the highway, I read once again with some speculation that NCL will indeed fufill their stated intentions for the ship. Look what they did with the Norway, ex SS France, a fully operating ship at the time. It pains me to say this, but you may well be right. I did read somewhere that a ships survey was done, and although from the outside, she appears rusted, she is completely sound and has been "mothballed" quite effectively. As a liner enthusiast, I hope she is brought back. How NCL can make that work financially is a BIG question.

As I said, I'd love to be proved wrong.......

Matthew

SS France/Norway was NOT a "fully operating ship" when she was sold; the boiler explosion caused severe damage, damage that would have cost too much to repair considering the age of the ship.

I am not an NCL fan, but, I do get tired of hearing people stomp on them over Norway. People seem to forget that NCL saved the ship and converted her into the world's first mega-cruise ship. They put millions and millions of dollars into her over the years and even towards the end of her career (at least when I was on in 2002) she was still being maintained immaculately.

She was/is a great ship; she's done her bit, and now it's time to say goodbye,...

-Russ

the boiler explosion

Which is why the one thing that remains about the United States that made her special - her engines - will never run again......there are very few steam turbine liners left, and no express ones - the expertise to run them has for all intents and purposes been lost.......

Peter

http://www.ssunitedstatesconservancy.org./Radler.html

I'd love to see SS United States restored to her former glory - and by that I mean thundering across the atlantic at 40 knots, not reduced to pottering around the caribbean at a snail's pace. And would they do a "Norway" and ruin her pure and elegant lines with layer upon layer of prefabricated penthouses? Probably.

Tim.

Oh, found the above link to some pictures taken in the 70s, before her interiors were completely stripped out.

I'd love to see SS United States restored to her former glory - and by that I mean thundering across the Atlantic at 40 knots, not reduced to pottering around the Caribbean at a snail's pace. And would they do a "Norway" and ruin her pure and elegant lines with layer upon layer of prefabricated penthouses? Probably.

Tim.

Oh, found the above link to some pictures taken in the 70s, before her interiors were completely stripped out.

Ooops, just noticed the website has got this scary message at the top:

"The photos here show the ship as she was still outfitted. All photos are copyright Robert Radler and may not be reproduced in any medium now known or hereafter devised"

Does this mean I shouldn't have linked to the website? I'm confused! :confused:

Which is why the one thing that remains about the United States that made her special - her engines - will never run again......there are very few steam turbine liners left, and no express ones - the expertise to run them has for all intents and purposes been lost.......

Peter

Who cares? Doesn't the QE2 go two knots faster on her diesel/electrics than she did on her original steam turbines?

Paul

Ooops, just noticed the website has got this scary message at the top:

"The photos here show the ship as she was still outfitted. All photos are copyright Robert Radler and may not be reproduced in any medium now known or hereafter devised"

Does this mean I shouldn't have linked to the website? I'm confused! :confused:

A link is not you copying them. You are merely telling people where to find them. You are not reproducing them. If he didn't want them linked he wouldn't put them on the web. Don't worry about it. If he contacts you just point out that all you did was to provide a link w/o charge.

SS France/Norway was NOT a "fully operating ship" when she was sold; the boiler explosion caused severe damage, damage that would have cost too much to repair considering the age of the ship.

I am not an NCL fan, but, I do get tired of hearing people stomp on them over Norway. People seem to forget that NCL saved the ship and converted her into the world's first mega-cruise ship. They put millions and millions of dollars into her over the years and even towards the end of her career (at least when I was on in 2002) she was still being maintained immaculately.

She was/is a great ship; she's done her bit, and now it's time to say goodbye,...

-Russ

The estimate to re-engine her alone was over 200,000,000. and I don't remember where I saw that. There would also be an enourmous amount to remove the asbestos and repair the damage caused by the explosion-which the insurance company refused to pay. They claimed the explosion was caused by the normal wear and tear of old engines.

Who cares? Doesn't the QE2 go two knots faster on her diesel/electrics than she did on her original steam turbines?

Paul

Actually Paul, the "Big U" as they called her, had a TOP speed of around 47 knots - I believe that is over 50 MPH. A far cry from 'Lizzies' 34 knot max. 'Supposedly' also she has a torpedo proof hull in case she was put to war.

Who cares?

Her interiors (which few raved about - all that fire division) are gone, and you are happy to rip out the one thing that made her very special.....so remind me, what, exactly are you preserving?

Peter

47 knots - I believe that is over 50 MPH.

About 54 mph - or a mile every minute seven seconds.....not sure she could have kept that up for a full crossing....her Blue Riband record was 34.51 knots, just under 40 miles per hour....a mile every minute and a half.....

Archived