Poll for people who booked succesful tours on their own

We do private tours. I looked over this site for recommendations, contact them and confirm. I print off the email and bring it with me.

We just returned from a cruise and I was given a different driver. He told me he had more than he could handle and past me onto someone else. In the future, I will confirm that the one I am "speaking" with is giving the tour.

Good advice. I also e-mail them the week before the cruise to touch base with them. (Really am making sure that they have me on their list!)

We now book all of our own excurions. Especially when we take the kids. That $50 extra per person X 6 = big bucks then X that by 4 port stops and you get the idea!

Just because you are on a ship's excursion doesn't mean you won't miss the ship. They get you back to the port "area" in plenty of time to get sidetracked shopping or drinking and then oops! the ship has sailed.

As long as you know you won't fall asleep on a beach or know that there will be NO traffic anywhere to slow you down on your way back to the ship, you should be fine.

And as long as you're prepared that if you do miss the ship, it's your expense to put yourself up somewhere and fly to the next port to meet the ship, you're ok.

Lots of pros/cons to weigh depending on what you're doing and what island.

My last cruise we watched 2 people just about get left behind in Barbados. Our ship was seconds away from pulling out and then came running like in a marathon. Hit unexpected traffic in town. Royal Caribbean didn't care.

We have been booking operators off the ship for years. Do your homework!!!!!!!!!!!! Check each prot here for good operators. We have never had a problem and have saved a ton of money. We even booked a cave tubing in Belize, went to the same place and the cruise operator, paid half the price and got back before them. Tell her it is time to live on the edge. Give her a challenge. Tell her you will book one operator off the ship and see how it works.

Just Do It!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Thanks everyone. I've been convinced about trying to book our own tours since my last cruise. . Its my sister that we are all having trouble convincing. :rolleyes:

Our cruise isn't until January 2008 so I'm (we) still have time to work on her. But since that week will be during her birthday I might need to do things "her" way.

But, come February 2009 when we go to celebrate my 60th birthday, we'll have to do everything "MY WAY". And guess what? We'll not only be booking tours on our own, we are going Horse Back Riding (something else she is afraid us). :eek:

I usually try to book all my tours with independent agents. The amount of money you save can be quite a bit AND the groups tend to be smaller so you get more "hands on" with your guide.

This board is a fantastic resource for finding independent operators. I usually make a Word document and copy and paste all "pros" and "cons" regarding individual companies and then do a tally. Those with the best price and lowest number of complaints is who I will book with. So far this method has worked out with no problems.

The only times I will book through the cruiseline is if there is some kind of time constraint, i.e., in port for only a few hours. Then I will spend a little extra to make absolutely certain there won't be any problems.

Theresa

My sister is afraid to book tours on our own, she wants to go through the cruise ship and I want save money and book them ourselves. I am thinking about the Dolphin Ecounter at the Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel (January 15, 2008) and the Pirates, Birds & Monkeys of the Caribbeans in Roatan, Honduras on January 16, 2008.

Help me convince her that we will be safe and arrive back to the ship on time. I am trying to tell her we only hear from the people that have had a bad experience and never from the people who made their own arrangements and made it back to the ship on time.

Any words of wisdom for her! ;)

countdown.pl?name=Cruise_Lover&date=1-13-2008&image=Beach-2&text=Cruises%20and%20birthdays%20are%20matches%20made%20in%20heaven%21&ship=Voyager%20of%20the%20Seas

NCL SUN - January 2007

Carnival Conquest - September 2005

This was my 5th cruise & the first time I had ever seen Cruise Critic before a cruise. I used all the knowledge found here & booked my excursions "outside" of the ship! It was GREAT!!! Very inexpensive!!!! All of the tour operators were very conscious on getting us back on time etc.

I will definitely continue using references from Cruise Critic!

Thanks everybody!!!

Archived