Diamond Willow Walking Sticks

gg3

1. Yukon or anyone else that might know. I would love to purchase the Diamond willow walking sticks while in Juneau, Skagway, or Ketchikan. I have really searched the internet, but can't locate the shop (s) that sell them.

2. What stores have great Alaskan berry jams ??

3. Also, are the stores open as long as the ships are in port?? As early as 8 am & as late as 9pm, even ??

4. Any other suggestions as to great gifts to bring home that are genuine "Made in Alaska".

Thanks so much. gg

The Knotty Shop has a whole store full outside of Fairbanks. :)

But some inside passage place has got to have them?? The jams are available in plenty of gift shops and especially reasonable in Walmart. If interior Alaska - Alaska Wildberry is probably the King of jams. :) Out of Anchorage and Homer.

Stores are open most of port times. Ulu knives are wonderful made in Alaska items.

look at the shop listings

http://www.traveljuneau.com

http://www.skagway.com

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

As well as what BQ said, there are 2 or 3 shops on the main drag in Juneau that sell them, though I can't give you names. If you go up to Carcross when you're in Skagway, Matthew Watson's Store usually has them (across from the Visitor Centre). They're quite time-consuming to make, though - often it's a local who makes 20 or so over the winter and puts them all in the first shop that has a spot. It's usually a local bachelor who makes, them, too - it's a smelly process that takes up a lot of cabin space :D

The locally-owned shops are somewhat less inclined to follow ship schedules, and that's made more obvious when only 1 ship is in - they may not open at all, especially if the weather is good for a picnic or to get the boat out (in the same vein, I'm only on the computer because there's a nasty cold wind blowing).

Murray

Thank you for your great advice re: gifts for my family. I already know that I will bring the diamond willow walking sticks, ulu knives, and berry jam back to Texas. And yes, I will check at the Carcross store for them, as well as Juneau. We are following your guide, Murray, out of Skagway, via rent a car.

I want to give you both credit, where much credit is due, for giving so many of us, literally thousands of cruisers, so much great information re: travel to and from Canada and Alaska, and esp. while in Alaska and Canada. Your advice is something I can take to the bank, it is to the point and factual and you have never steered me wrong. I thank you for taking so much of your time in helping so many of us, day in and day out. You two are the best sources for Alaskan/Canadian details that I have found, Absolutely, Simply, the BEST. Regards, gg, deep in the heart of East Texas

Archived