Car Rental from Warnemunde to Berlin

We're cruising on NCL Dream in 2 weeks and really want to rent a car to drive to Berlin (instead of paying $400 for the train ride)...but we are nervous about being so far from the port on our own. How much time should we allot for the drive back to the port?

What if we get delayed (traffic, flat tire, accident, etc.) and we miss the ship? Who do we contact to meet back up w/the ship? Has this ever happened to anyone (getting left behind)?

We would love to hear everyone's stories, both good and bad, to help us decide if we should "go it alone" to Berlin or spend big bucks for the "security"?

@BengelaCruisers

According to viamichelin.de it’s about 250 kms (170 miles) = 2 ½ hour = I would more say 3 hours one way.

The NORWEGIAN DREAM is leaving 9.00 pm from Warnemünde.

To give you some extra time for the worst case, let’s plan with 8.00 pm arrival in Warnemünde.

That would mean 5.00 pm from Berlin downtown.

Due to rush-hour I would say: 4.30 pm to be safe.

Otherwise stay in Berlin and fly to Helsinki which is quite cheap!

Here you find the locations in Warnemüde to pick-up your car:

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

2007WmdP7F01V01-vi.jpg

Subject you berth P 7 (= Terminal 1) you will leave this building.

Make a turn to the right you, so you see this scene:

2007WmdP7FerryF02V02-vi.jpg

The next building you will find already the collection point of HERTZ.

2007WmdHertzV03-vi.jpg

Beside the Ferry to Hohe Düne there is only ONE way to leave the ferry terminal.

2007WmdOutV04-vi.jpg

2007WmdOutV05-vi.jpg

2007WmdOutV06-vi.jpg

2007WmdOutV07-vi.jpg

If you have 2 EUR (credit cards and foreign currencies acceptable) to use the Warnow-Tunnel follow now to A 19 (MAUT = toll).

If you do not like to pay the 2 EUR and you want to be EXACT time in Berlin you just go on to A 20.

2007WmdOutV08-vi.jpg

When this city highway merged to A 20 you just follow to Stralsund and to A 19 Berlin.

A 19 merges to A 24 Hamburg – Berlin

A 24 merges to A 10 (Ring around Berlin) You must follow the North Ring = Berlin-Renickendorf – Berlin-Zentrum – NOT to Potsdam / Magdeburg or Leipzig.

Exit 31 to A 111 towards Berlin-Reinickendorf

Exit to A 105 towards Wedding / Kurt-Schumacher-Platz

Follow B 96 towards Tiergarten / Moabit / Mitte / Hauptbahnhof

Hauptbahnhof is Central Station. If you want a tour suggestion park your car here: and use this guide:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/BerlinGuide.pdf

What is important to you to know to find your way back:

Incl. GPS:

Am Passagierkai in Rostock.

So follow the signs to Passagierkai or HOHE DÜNE (is the opposite of the ferry at the cruise terminal)

2007WmdInV41-vi.jpg

Warnemünde is subdivided into some parking sectors. You are located in the blue sector.

2007WmdInV42-vi.jpg

So follow to the parking in the blue sector like here on the signs.

2007WmdInV43-vi.jpg

Have a great time in Berlin.

WILLKOMMEN IN DEUTSCHLAND

Welcome to Germany

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 4 months later...

HeinBloed - Your information here is priceless. I have read a few of your other posts and they were so informative. Thank you.

One thing though. I too had planned to rent a car. My friends had done it a few years back and said it took less than 2 hours each way by car. They had read that it was closer to 3 hours by train so they choose to rent. I am now concerned that Michelin indicates a good 3 hour car trip. I guess I better do some more homework!

Do not forget: you are more flexibel with the car - as the direct train goes only every 2 hours... (The other hour - longer transit time with transfer).

Compromise: Park + Ride to Alt-Tegel at Berlin's suburbs and taking the subway every 5 minutes to the heart of the old Berlin.

Regards,

HeinBloed

One thing though. I too had planned to rent a car. My friends had done it a few years back and said it took less than 2 hours each way by car. They had read that it was closer to 3 hours by train so they choose to rent. I am now concerned that Michelin indicates a good 3 hour car trip.
Google Maps suggests 2 hours 20 mins. I find that they are usually pessimistic about the time taken. My own experience was much more like 2 hours each way as well.

I would highly recommend to compare several routing planners.

The truth is somewhere in between.

But you need to have a fixed point on both end:

Warnemünde:

Street: Am Passagierkai 1 (= it's the Hertz-Car-Rental Building)

Place: Rostock

If requested: 18119 = PLZ = Postal Code

If Am Passagierkai does not appear: Am Bahnhof 5 (which is the station building opposite of the cruise-terminal = Europcar-Rental Building)

Berlin

Street: Europaplatz 1 (= it's the Central Station = good parking and access to public transport / bikes / river cruises / walking distance to Reichstag/Brandenburg Gate / Tourist Information)

Place: Berlin

If requested: 10557 = PLZ = Postal Code

You should try:

http://www.map24.de

http://www.viamichelin.de

http://www.mapquest24.de

and all others mentioned or on market.

As told somewhere in between is the truth - but also depending to your rented car and your driving style and DO NOT FORGET: traffic condition.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I think you are crazy for thinking about driving. This is a very port intensive cruise. Take the ship's shore excursion and rest on the train. Why are you thinking about driving in a foreign country? You are giving yourself a stressful day worrying about the drive, accidents, getting back to the ship, etc. I didn't go to Berlin but people at our dining table did and said it was a great trip. They slept on the train both ways and were able to enjoy Berlin. You will be spending so much money on the cruise don't try saving here.

I think you are crazy for thinking about driving. This is a very port intensive cruise. Take the ship's shore excursion and rest on the train. Why are you thinking about driving in a foreign country? You are giving yourself a stressful day worrying about the drive, accidents, getting back to the ship, etc. I didn't go to Berlin but people at our dining table did and said it was a great trip. They slept on the train both ways and were able to enjoy Berlin. You will be spending so much money on the cruise don't try saving here.

It's always easy to give advises if not experienced yourself.

Driving from Warnemünde to Berlin is really easy and smooth. 90% is Autobahn and I think driving around Boston is worse!!! It's like driving in Maine!

Especially if you do it (as suggested) and do park and ride at the city borders and use the subway to Berlin.

It's not saving money as the train tickets could be more and the train goes only every two hours. If you missed a train on your return you might missed the ship. But with the car you have always the option to return when you want.

There are pros and cons...

Do not forget it.

HeinBloed

Archived