Potential HAL cruiser with a few dining questions

sppunk

My wife and I are considering the Westerdam 2008 Alaska run from Seattle, mainly due to the fact it visits Glacier Bay without being a one-way. We are avid Princess cruisers, and RCCL comes in a very distant third.

We returned this week from a Caribbean Princess cruise, and I was yet again amazed at the amount of fruit always available in the Lido buffet. I know HAL's Lido hours are severely shorter than Princess', do they have fresh fruit out at all times? My wife is a picky vegetarian and often settles for a fruit and salad dinner.

Also, I understand HAL is incorporating "personal choice" dining (great news!), will this alter the abbreviated Lido buffet hours?

My major concern is in Alaska, we have late, late days and often will not feel like dressing for the dining room - but likely won't sail on the Westerdam if the Lido buffet isn't open past 8 p.m. (and yes, I am aware of HAL's very, very detailed room service menu).

For what it's worth, we are also considering the Ryndam run from Vancouver, but I'm not sure my wife and I would appreciate the older, smaller feel of her. We are not megaship fans, but we are avid fans of new, modern design and open lines (hence why we love Princess so much).

Thanks, everyone. I browse this board frequently, but this is my first post here on the HAL board!

Having just recently returned from a Dawn Princess cruise, I can tell you the fruit on HAL is much better. The Lido hours are much shorter than the Horizon Court, though. And those don't change with the relaxed hours on some HAL ships' dining rooms (which aren't like the "anytime" dining on Princess.).

Not sure what you mean about "not dressing" for dinner. On long port days the dress code is invariably casual. And that's the minimum required in any of the dining venues on any evening.

There is no official word on Personal Dining. Currently it is experimental on the Oosterdam and Noordam.

Each cabin receives a basket of fresh fruit. You can ask your cabin steward for certain fruits and he will make sure you receive them each day.

Not sure what you mean by casual either. If you are talking about shorts, no they are not allowed in the dining rooms.

Unless something changes the Lido buffet is not open late.

Don't dismiss the Ryndam. It is a beautiful ship.

We love Princess but also love HAL. I would suggest that from what you say, one of the Vista class ships would be best for you. Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Noordam are beatiful ships with modern lines and great works of art throughout. They are slightly smaller than the Princess big ships and have a delightful comfortable feel. They definitely have wonderful buffets! There are many stations, and the salad bars are outstanding. As others have said the fruit is excellent.

Are there many ports in Alaska where the ship stays that late? Usually the ship sails before dinnertime from most ports, and there is time to grab a shower and freshen up before dinner. Casual dress is the rule except on formal nights.

Why not give it a try, and use the room service menu as a fall back?

Whatever you pick, have a GREAT cruise!

Archived