Fine Dining in Central South England

(List is not exhaustive and is the personal opinion of the author, based on his extensive dining out experience in the UK and France)

For those sailing from Southampton (or arriving) and have a few days here:

Using a "near the A34" criteria:

Top drawer (and I'm afraid top price) has to go to:

Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons - 01844 278881 to the South-East of Oxford.

The Vineyard - 01635 528770 - a mile off the A34 near Newbury.

(in the same ball-park but right down in the New Forest - Chewton Glen in New Milton - 01425 275341 - although food is very good here, the previous two entries are in a league of their own).

... coming out of the "stratosphere" ...

Hotel du Vin - Winchester - 01962 841414

Now to Restaurants avec chambres (not pubs)

Three Lions at Stuckton (yes I know it sounds like a pub but it isn't) - this is in the north of the new Forest and is a few miles off the A31 (the road that continues on after the M27 ends) - The decor is rather all modern pine and "cheezy" ornaments but there is something remarkable going on in the kitchen. Some of the most intense and skilful saucing I have ever come across - highly recommended culinary wise. 01425 652489. Narrow lanes and a bit hard to find 1st time.

36 on the Quay - Emsworth - pretty location - tidal reaches - off the A27 as it continues after M27 eastbound. Slightly dated interiors (public areas) but again wonderful things going on in the kitchen. There chambres are a recent addition to this fine restaurant.

The Crab - Chieveley (although this village is just a mile off the A34 the actual establishment is a couple of miles out in the "middle of nowhere". An eclectic decor, and menu dominated by seafood (good to v.good). Service is a bit uneven though. 01635 247550.

... and further afield ...

White Horse at Chilgrove (yes I know it sounds like a pub but it isn't) on the Petersfield to Chichester road in a beautiful part of the South. Good 01243 535219.

Standalone restaurant.

Winchester - The Chesil Rectory - excellent - 01962 851555.

Old Burgclere - Dew Pond - a mile off the A34 south of Newbury - a friendly family run restaurant that gets it right. There is a nearby Travelodge at Tothill. 01635 278408

Gastropubs:

Greyhound - Stockbridge 01264 810833 - typical of its breed and quite good. A few miles north east of Winchester.

Red House - Whitchurch 01256 895558 - unfussy and uncomplicated - now this place is a pub but the restaurant is quite separate from the pub with it's own entrance. Not the most pre-possessing of places but quite good things go on here culinary wise. (You'll only be 2 miles from where I live).

AVOID - Marco Pierre White's Yew Tree at Highclere. Pub tables with too many customers crammed in, charges for everything, (couvert, bread(!), each and every single portion of veg / potatoes, etc) and the prices are more haut then "pub". The food isn't all that great either.

All the above places are "Googable" for more details on the Web.

I hope you have a happy stay.

HAVE A WONDERFUL CRUISE!

Derek “The Monocled Mutineer” Kane

|||||

o Q

<

\__/

|>o<|

Any recommendations for Southampton? We won't have our own transport.

Last time we were "over there" we had lunch at a nice pub called The Windmill, near Bagshot. Stunningly good pub grub, and half the price of London. Ever seen bangers and mash done up as elevated cuisine? Fantastic.

Any recommendations for Southampton? We won't have our own transport.

Last time we were "over there" we had lunch at a nice pub called The Windmill, near Bagshot. Stunningly good pub grub, and half the price of London. Ever seen bangers and mash done up as elevated cuisine? Fantastic.

... in Southampton but like many places in Britain it now suffers from the curse of too many young "binge" drinkers in the town and city centres.

For the first timer to a strange city this can be a duanting experience unless you chose to have lunch or dine very early in the evening.

I cannot recall having a fine dining experience in Southampton. If you enjoy "Indian" cuisine "Kuti's" in Oxford Street is a good address that I have used a few times. The nearby White Star Tavern on the same street probably has the best reputation in the city (Modern British Cuisine).

Oxford Street in Southampton is the best place to go without a specific recommendation for a restaurant - its a little bit out of the centre, so perhaps fewer 'drinking crowds' (though my favourite pub in OS, the Grapes, is usually very busy) there is a large selection of restaurants & winebars

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/

http://www.ladieswholunch-in-hampshire.co.uk/ (reviews)

http://www.oxfordstreetsouthampton.co.uk

Karen

And of course 'The Grapes' is where a lot of the Titanic crew spent their last night ashore - a great pub to visit.

Well, it's now imperative that I take my wife there...but not tell her the history until after the ropes have been cast off. That would be the best time to tell her, before the swim back to shore gets to be too long!

Thanks for the advice.

Archived