Drift Snorkelling in Tiputa Pass

twa1011

My wife and I are going on the PG in August 2007 on the 10 day trip that includes Rangiroa. I've looked at the excursions available, and also at the posts on this site, and I can't see that drift snorkeling the pass in Rangioroa is available as an excursion booked through the ship. I think I can book it independently, but wonder if anyone knows if the scuba trip to the pass also takes snorkelers? This forum is great -- I've read all the posts I can, and it has helped a lot in our preparation. Thanks for any info you can give me on the drift snorkeling in Rangiroa.

I looked for the drift trip too. We are on 10 day in July. Wonder if it was too advanced for the average snork. I hear the currents are fairly tough in the pass but also that it's the best spot for seeing fish, sharks, etc

Tiputa Pass is far too treacherous for snorkelers due to conflicting currents. The ship's excursion is limited to experienced, advanced-level divers. You've got to swim with the fishes, not look down at them.

There is an excellent drift-snorkel excursion on the Motu Mahana day. I've never heard a disappointed review from any participant.

Well, I guess that's why the ship doesn't appear to offer the drift snorkel on Rangiroa. Jan Prince in her book mentions the drift snorkel as an activity there, and Frommers says it's a blast. I guess I'll look into it as an independent activity. Thanks for the info.

For anyone who is interested -- I found the following in a website which was describing activities at Rangiroa. It sounds promising.

"The unique experience of drift-snorkeling—jumping off a boat and being swept at great speed through the Pass of Tiputa, the entrance to Rangi's lagoon—is almost as thrilling as sky-diving. There's clear visibility of up to 120 feet, so you can watch as sharks, dolphins, turtles, and rays swimming beneath you get sucked into the lagoon by the forceful current (you get sucked in, too, but you stay on the surface). A two-hour excursion costs about $50 per person when you book with husband-and-wife team Cosetta & Pascal Rohde (689-960-331; www.snorkeling.pf). They take safety seriously: One of their staff members always goes into the water with you, while another hovers nearby in the boat to make sure no one gets carried off in the wrong direction."

We did this same itinerary in June, 2005, and booked the drift snorkel of the Tiputa Pass through Regent. However, due to the currents that snorkeling excursion could not be done either day we were there. We ended up snorkeling the aquarium both days. It was a dissapointment during an otherwise fantastic trip. I can understand why Regent has stopped offering it if they have had to cancel it so many times.

One of our friends did the drift snorkel at Motu Mahana as was mentioned above while his wife tendered over to the motu with us and saved him a seat by the water's edge. He reported the drift snorkel as being great with lots to see but with the warning that it is in very shallow water. That is not a problem for an experienced snorkeler but would be tricky for a novice trying to avoid being cut by coral.

• 3 weeks later...

This message is to twa1011. My wife and I are going on the same Paul Gaugin cruise you are. I would also like to do the Tiputu Pass drift snorkel, but as you say it is not offered on our cruise as an excursion. However, there are apparently vendors in Rangiroa who offer this trip, if we can figure out a way to make arrangements. If you are interested, perhaps we could meet the first day on-board and see if we can figure out a way to do this trip. Let me know.....

Hi ssej:

I have not heard back from Pascal in over a week's time. I e-mailed another vendor yesterday and asked if they take snorkelers to the pass (a tourbook says they do sometimes). I also asked them if they could refer us to a vendor who does do this if they aren't available or interested. I'll let you know what I find out.

We'd be happy to meet you onboard. My wife and I are celebrating our anniversary. We're traveling through Hawaii on our way to Tahiti, then spending a few days on Moorea prior to the cruise. We'll probably be boarding about as soon as they let us since we'll have checked out of our hotel and have traveled back to Papeete earlier that day. What's your schedule like?

Ralph

Hi Ralph, seej, et al.

I too would like to do the drift snorkel through Tiputa Pass. I also e-mailled Cosette et Pascal a week ago, but haven't heard back. One half of the couple we're traveling with might also be interested, so that would be four of us. I asked Cosette et Pascal about a private tour that combined the drift snorkel through the pass with some good shallow water snorkeling, as my husband is not comfortable in deep water, nor is one of our friends. With a nice lunch, that sounds like a perfect day. If we can't arrange that (or any part of it) ahead of time, there will probably be vendors waiting for us at the dock?

The four of us will be at the Radisson on Tahiti for a couple of days pre-cruise and will board early afternoon on the 22nd. We're in Cabin 716. Keep me posted (as it were) if you find a vendor.

Mary Sue

P.S Does anyone know if the shallow-water drift snorkel on Motu Mahana day is the same location as on Bruno's tour?

Hi Ralph, seej, et al.

One half of the couple we're traveling with might also be interested, so that would be four of us.

Correction: I'm the only one of the four of us crazy enough to do this, but I'm still interested, if anyone finds a vendor. -- Mary Sue

Dear Ralph and Jaguarprincess,

I don't think we are all on the same PG cruise in August. I am on the 10-day/11-night cruise that departs Papeete on August 11. Jaguarprincess is on the cruise that begins August 22. Ralph, which one are you on?

I am on the 10 night that leaves on August 22. I have found a vendor who will take us on the drift snorkel provided the weather and currents allow it. The company is the Raie Manta Club. Their e-mail address is raiemantaclub@mail.pf. The contact person is named Freddy. I found them listed by one of the tour books as taking divers and sometimes taking snorkelers. Freddy was very agreeable to taking snorkelers as long as the conditions permitted it. The cost is about $34 per person. He needs the names of those who are interested, their ages, and their ability to swim. He also needs to know the day(s) that the ship will be at Rangiroa. He says they follow behind the snorkelers and divers in their zodiak. Hope this is of help to you.

Thanks for the info about raie mantaclub. I'll e-mail Freddy. Did he happen to tell you how he will contact you (or you him) the day the PG is in Rangiroa to let you know if the conditions are suitable for drift snorkeling?

Sorry we won't be on the same cruise.

SSEJ:

No, we didn't get that far. I sent him the info he requested, and have not had any follow-up with him. I'm sorry we're not on the same trip, too. If you get to do this drift snorkel, let us know how it all worked and if you were happy with it. Have a great trip!

Ralph

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ralph et al.,

We've been gone for the past few weeks, but I'm now turning my attention once again to Da Cruise.

Questions: Have you booked yet with the Raiea Manta Club? For the first or second day in port? Did anyone ever here from Pascal and Cosette (I didn't). From descriptions, they sound as though they might be a bit more safety conscious. The varying info that's been posted regarding Tiputa Pass, and the fact that the PG doesn't offer it anymore as a snorkel trip, gives one pause for thought. I would still like to consider going along (if it's day #1). I will contact Raiea Manta Club for assurance that you don't have to be an Olympic athlete to snorkel this pass. Additional assurance from anyone else would be appreciated also.

Looking forward to meeting you and other fellow snorkelers.

Hello Ralph et al.

My wife and I are also on the august 22, sailing of the PG and would be interested in the Drift Snorkeling Excursion on Rangiroa. Please let us know if you need any additional people for this excursion.

We are also looking for additional people to join us on excursion around Taaha when in port for Raiatea if interested. If so, please reply to this thread and I will send th details for Bruno's excurison.

Eric

Hi Ralph et al.,

Freddy has not reponsed to me, but I think I'll set this one out (or at least snorkel elsewhere). According to Randall at Regent, the water in the Pass is 100 to 150 feet deep, which means you'd be way above anything to be seen. I've about concluded that the raves I've read about snorkeling The Pass have been from those who were in it for the rush, literally, which is fine, but not what I'm interested in. I'm going on the Aquarium snorkel the second morning, and even that is too deep for my husband to be comfortable, so we'll spend the first afternoon trying to find some shallow-water snorkeling. If anyone knows of a spot (or a vendor who responds!), please let me know.

Otherwise, I'll be eager to get your report on The Pass over a drink.

All the best

SSEJ, Eric, Mary Sue, et al.

We have made arrangements with Rene, who is a guide with the Raie Manta Club, to go on the drift snorkel on either the afternoon we arrive or the next morning, depending on the tides and the overall weather conditions. From what I've read, it is a great time if the overall conditions allow the trip. Rene picks us up at the Ohutu pier, and the trip is scheduled to last two hours. The cost is 4750 cpf (about $55) per person. You can reach Rene at vrdl@mail.pf. Hope this info is helpful.

Eric: Thanks for the invite to join Bruno's tour -- I've heard it's good, but we are planning to do the Faaroa River and Island Exploration that day. We'll have to compare notes afterwards.

Ralph

We may also be interested in the drift snorkel. We are signed up to dive the pass, but I have a feeling that the dive master will not consider my 25 previous dives to be enough to classify me as an advanced diver. Just in case, I'd like to know about the drift snorkel option. We are leaving on Sat. for our precruise so if you don't have an answer from the shore excursion company before we leave, perhaps you could leave a message with the pursar with our screen name on it. Thanks for checking on this.

Here's the word from Rene' Fels ( vrdl@mail.pf ) Send him an email to get on his email list!

We organise every day drift snorkeling inTiputa Pass.

Please find below few informations :

Duration of the trip : 2 hours.

Price : 4 750 CFP (55 USD) including all the equipment (dive skin, lifevest etc...).

Départure : Ohotu pear. (where the tanders of the Paul Gaugin arrive)

The excurtions are organized according to the tides. We need tide in to drift the pass. So, it is impossible for me to tell you now if the trip will be the afternoon 14 or the mortning 15. The best is that i sent to you a e-mail few days before. Is it possible for you to chek your e-mail on board? We have other clients on the ship and i will send them a e-mail the 9 of july to give them the pick-up time. We can do the same for you. How many people are you?

Regards

René FELS

Rangiroa Activités

BP1 Tiputa 98776 Rangiroa

• 3 weeks later...

I am going on the Aug. 11 cruise, and hope to be able to drift snorkel Tiputu Pass on the afternoon of Aug. 12 or the morning of Aug. 13 with Rene Fels. Here is the communication I got from him:

Hello Mike !

The Raie Manta Club has transfer to me your e-mail.

We organise every day drift snorkeling inTiputa Pass.

The departure schedule is according to the tides. We need tide in to drift into the Pass. Tide hours are changing every day...

It is impossible for me to tell you now the time départure for this trip for the 12 or 13 of August.

One week before, i will be able to tell you if the trip will be the 12 afternoon or the 13 morning.

The best is that i send to you e-mail few days ago to give you the schedule.

Could you check your e-mails inboard ?

Please find below few informations :

Duration of the trip : 2 hours.

Price : 4 750 CFP (55 USD) including all the equipment (dive skin, lifevest etc...).

Départure : Ohotu pear. (where the tanders of the Paul Gaugin arrive)

Don't hesitate to contact me if you need more informations.

Regads

René FELS

RANGIROA ACTIVITES.

I told Rene that I'm not sure I will have e-mail access on-board, so he agreed to e-mail me on August 9 -- two days before we fly to Tahiti to catch the ship -- to let me know whether the drift snorkel trip will be on Aug. 12 or Aug. 13.

Hope this information helps some of you who are trying to do this. I saw a film of drift snorkeling in Tiputu Pass and it looks awesome. Yes, you are looking down through some deep water while you drift, but the water is extraordinarily clear and the variety of stuff you see is mind-blowing. Huge rays, sharks, etc. etc.

This is not to be missed.

If you don't feel comfortable snorkling, don't do this. While they are concerned with safety, if you are not a good swimmer, don't do it either. That said, you do have a life jacket, you hold hands with your group and a guide, and you float with no problem.

The current must go about 5 to 10 mph and pulls you right from the ocean, down the channel, and into the lagoon. You can see about 100 feet down. We went out and back about 3 times and then they took us snorkling in a calmer area of the lagoon.

If you are an experienced water person, use to ocean snorkeling, you'll feel comfortable and think it's the coolest thing you've ever done.

You can get email access on board the PG. It's easy to meet Rene or some one from his group at the pier on Rangiroa. Make sure he has your name and dates you're in port. He'll stay in touch with you.

Enjoy!

Archived