Giving up on independent scuba operators?

john005

I will be on the RCCL Western Caribbean itinerary this July and will have port stops in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I definitely want to dive in both of these locations, but after reading the posts here for the last couple of weeks, it seems awfully risky to try to book with an outside operator because of the ship's schedule. We will arrive in Grand Cayman at 8:00 and the latest departure I am aware of is 9am at Neptune's. We arrive at 9:00 in Cozumel (local time), which is after all local dive boat departures I have found. Anyway, I am about ready to give up and just book RCCL's dive excursions, just to be sure we can make the dive boat and get back to the ship on time...

So, a couple of questions for all of you dive/cruise experts:

1. Has anyone done either of the dives (Cozumel or GC) with Royal Caribbean? If so, what did you think? If you have also taken independent dive operators at the same location, what was the difference? Was it worth the "risk" in your opinion?

2. Has anyone worked with a dive operation in either of these locations which will work to accomodate cruise divers?

Lastly, a little about me. This is my first cruise (ever) so I am a little nuts about planning. I have been diving for about 10 years, but will be taking my son on the dives this time, so we would want an operation that can be patient with my 15yo son. I have never been to either Cozumel or GC, but I generally prefer smaller dive operations whenever I can.

Thanks so much for any input/advice you can provide!

If you really can't find an operator in Cozumel who can't accommodate you later arrival time, it might be best to go with the ship's operator. Just plan on being your son's buddy like you would anyway. For the most part, Cozumel diving is more like a group event because of the current. Everyone just about has to go the same direction, following the DM.

Who all have you contacted in Cozumel? http://www.eagleraydivers.com really seems to cater to cruise divers, so I think they'd be able to accommodate your arrival time. http://www.bottomtimedivers.net will go out with as few as 2, so if you were the first couple who made reservations, maybe Raul would agree to a later departure. Also check with http://www.scubawithalison.com

Finally, if you could find 2 more divers so you would have a group of 4, you could charter your own boat. Then you'd decide the departure times and get to pick the dive sites. Check your roll call for other dives. You can also see what other ships are in port with you and check their roll calls for divers. http://www.cruisecal.com for that information.

For Grand Cayman, if Casey doesn't work for you, you might just want to do a couple of shore dives. There are several places to do that. Eden Rock and Sunset House are both within walking distance from the tender dock in Georgetown. There are 2 dive shops at/near Eden Rock where you can rent whatever you need. Sunset House has an on-site dive shop for rentals. Since there will be 2 of you, you should have no trouble renting whatever you need. If you were solo, you'd have difficulty renting tanks. Apparently, the dive operators in GCM aren't too keen on solo diving.

I don't know about the quality of the dive operations at either island, so I can't comment on that, sorry.

In Grand Cayman go up to DiveTech at Turtle Reef and do a couple of shore dives. Easy entry and exit - and a great staff. Go left one dive and right on the 2nd - both sides of the mini-wall have different things to see. The Cracked Conch Restaurant that is attached to the dive shop has great food, but a little pricey.

In Cozumel, get in touch with Eagle Ray Divers. Chellie will work with your schedule - they do try and accommodate cruise ship passengers. Not the fanciest boats, but great dive masters.

I've used Papa Hog's dive shop in cozumel and they're very accommodating. They can just take you and your son with a diver master or whatever your wishes. They can be found at:

http:\\http://www.papahogs.com

Note: they're a short taxi ride to/from the cruise docks but taxis are cheap in Cozumel.

Hi, just a word of warning about not going on the ship's excursion and going on a dive boat on your own.....

We were in Nassau, on a helmut dive in the morning and the ship was scheduled to depart at about 12:30 in the afternoon. Our excursion was late returning....the operators of the helmut dive did not seem too concerned about the departure time. We were almost 1/2 hour late, and the ship was waiting for us, and pulled up the gangway (gangplank?) as soon as my foot landed inside. Had we not been on a ship's excursion, they would not have waited for us.

If you are on a dive boat, you cannot return when you want, but are bound to the boat, and the risk is greater that you may miss your departure.

Just something to consider.

Thanks to your recommendations, I have been able to find dive operators to work with the ship's schedule! In Grand Cayman, Casey at Neptunes will take us on their 9am (10am ship time) departure and get us back around 12:30 (1:30 ship time)in plenty of time for the 4pm ship departure. In Cozumel, Raul at Bottom Time Divers will arrange for a special late dive trip at 10am (11am ship time) and get us back in plenty of time for our 7pm ship departure. So, I have booked us for these dives. I am so looking forward to getting out there for some real diving! Not much to see underwater in Colorado...

Does anyone see any problems with the above, or has anyone had a bad experience with either of these operators? If not, full steam ahead!

Thanks to your recommendations, I have been able to find dive operators to work with the ship's schedule! In Grand Cayman, Casey at Neptunes will take us on their 9am (10am ship time) departure and get us back around 12:30 (1:30 ship time)in plenty of time for the 4pm ship departure. In Cozumel, Raul at Bottom Time Divers will arrange for a special late dive trip at 10am (11am ship time) and get us back in plenty of time for our 7pm ship departure. So, I have booked us for these dives.

Does anyone see any problems with the above, or has anyone had a bad experience with either of these operators? If not, full steam ahead!

Those times look good. You should have no problems.

Hi, just a word of warning about not going on the ship's excursion and going on a dive boat on your own.....

We were in Nassau, on a helmut dive in the morning and the ship was scheduled to depart at about 12:30 in the afternoon. Our excursion was late returning....the operators of the helmut dive did not seem too concerned about the departure time. We were almost 1/2 hour late, and the ship was waiting for us, and pulled up the gangway (gangplank?) as soon as my foot landed inside. Had we not been on a ship's excursion, they would not have waited for us.

If you are on a dive boat, you cannot return when you want, but are bound to the boat, and the risk is greater that you may miss your departure.

Just something to consider.

I'm with you on that. We had a tight time squeeze of time in Nassau too. The Dive Master had five on us from the cruise ship on board and hussled the dive boat on and off. We barely made it back (10 min. before departure). They talked to the local who checks the ID's at the departure gate in Nassau and got us threw the crowd or the ship would have been delayed. We did get two nice wreck dives in though and saw some pretty good size reef sharks.

We dove with Casey & Keith a couple of years ago on our last visit to Cayman - it was a wonderful trip! Search this board for my review.

When you're coming back from the dive, just get your own taxi. It's the same price as the bus, but they wait to fill the entire bus first.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

That does sound good , I will be doing those ports with Royal in november with my 14 year old son also, So please report back on your experience, can't wait to hear. (Also a planning freek)

Paul

I just got back from a week of diving in Cozumel. The diving was great. We stayed at The Scuba Club Cozumel. Google them and you may be able to email them and tell them your dilemma. They may be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

Archived