Anything to walk to in Prince Rupert?

• 2 weeks later...

We are a small little town with not much going on.

There are tourist stores and restaurants in Cow Bay right near where the cruise ships dock. Beyond that there is nothing much to see in the town. If you were here in daytime then there would be a choice of boat trips, nature excursions, fishing etc. But as far as the town itself it is just your basic average small town.

We have been to Prince Rupert twice. First time we did a city tour and the second time we just got off the ship and walked around. We like P.R. because it is a smaller town and has a beautiful port where the fishermen come in with their catches. There are TONS of Bald Eagles!!!!! We found a little bar at the pier to have a couple of Cold Adult Beverages and split an order of Halibut/Fries...It was great. The platter was so big that there is no way that one person could have ate it all. If you are expecting P.R. to be a busy port with tons of stuff to do you will be disappointed. With that said, if you enjoy a more laid back port and just want to enjoy a day of vacation and visit a local pub you will have a wonderful time. We are going back to Alaska next May and we made sure that P.R. was one of the ports we will be visiting.

Tom

TomandJane, what sailing are you on next year? We're on the 5/3/08 sailing of the Serenade and P.R. is one of our ports. We did Alaska in 05 but the opportunity of 3 new ports was too much to pass up!

I prefer a small town that you can just stroll off the ship and walk around in!

OK for those of you who want to get a meal in Prince Rupert here is the lowdown on where to eat. I have rated the places out of five stars * to *****

In Cow Bay: (tourist area near the cruise ship terminal)

Smiles ****

An informal seafood cafe. Fish and chips, fried scallops prawns, halibut etc. Lots of fried things, delicious but not my style as I am working on eating healthy. VERY big portions as noted in the post above. You can also get non-seafood here. Try the fisherman's platter or marine plate if you are hungry. Probably $30.00 for lunch for two.

Opa ***

Sushi, no hot/cooked Japanese food though. Same price range as above.

Breakers ***

A bar/restaurant. The food is typical pub type fare. Nice looking waitresses. If it is sunny this is a good place to go and eat on the outdoor balcony. Same price range as above.

Downtown (ten-fifteen minute walk from the cruise ship terminal)

Stardust ***

Chinese food. Nice if you like Chinese food (I do). Same price range as above.

Herbies ****

Vietnamese food, informal atmosphere, lots of seafood and chicken dishes. Inexpensive. North American food here too eg. burgers, club sandwiches, milkshakes etc. My favourite restaurant in town. Not fancy, more like home style. Inexpensive, a lunch can be had for $10.00 per person.

The Crest ***

The nicest place to go if you want an excellent view, if you get a window seat the view can't be beat. A little more expensive than the other places and more upscale. I usually spend about $40.00 here for lunch for two without alcohol. The food is typical Canadian/American/West Coast type of food ie. different types of salads, soups, pasta, burgers, steak, seafood, a whole range of stuff. The food is OK, the atmosphere and view are nice.

TomandJane, what sailing are you on next year? We're on the 5/3/08 sailing of the Serenade and P.R. is one of our ports. We did Alaska in 05 but the opportunity of 3 new ports was too much to pass up!

I prefer a small town that you can just stroll off the ship and walk around in!

We are on the same ship as you!!!!! We joined the roll call about 2 weeks ago. We have a 10 day Canada/New England in September we are really looking forward to but we can't wait to go back to Alaska!!!

Tom

Archived