Can I get by with a fleece hooded sweatshirt for glacier viewing?

suzyq964

You want to talk looking crazy at the airport....My DH plans on taking his winter coat (heavy, layered, superwarm) when we cruise to Alaska this August. I am sure it won't be too out-of-place on board while in Alaska, but just imagine the looks at the airport, in Phoenix, where it will probably be at least 105 (if not warmer) outside! I told him he would have to carry it though, because it would definitely put us over the weight-limit. :(

You want to talk looking crazy at the airport....My DH plans on taking his winter coat (heavy, layered, superwarm) when we cruise to Alaska this August. I am sure it won't be too out-of-place on board while in Alaska, but just imagine the looks at the airport, in Phoenix, where it will probably be at least 105 (if not warmer) outside! I told him he would have to carry it though, because it would definitely put us over the weight-limit. :(

You won't need the heavy jacket in August, layers and wind/rain gear.

Good plan, I just wish I could figure out how to weigh my suitcases before we leave. :p When we went to Hawaii, I had to pay the too-heavy luggage fee both ways because I had waaaaay overpacked. haha

We'll see...I'll just have to get creative!

Bought a fish scale at Walmart for less than $5. Fits in my carryon easily so I can check on the way and on the way back with all the purchases!

This is my second time to Alaska and I agree with posters who say "layer, layer, layer". For glacier days and evenings - the top layer needs to be windproof. I was there in early June and some days were warm enough for me to be comfy in a shirt and shorts. But I still was glad to have the layers - and gloves and hat - for glacier day and while "cruising" the inside passage. The movement of the ship creates a natural breeze (read wind). With the layers any one can be comfy with all the variances.

Everyone enjoy your cruise.

Barb

I had my gastric bypas 4 years ago - believe me when I say you will feel the cold much more the first year! I froze in my office in the summer (when before I wore summer clothes all winter:o ) until I found cuddleduds. You will be shocked at how warm the extra layer keeps you. As a bonus, this time of year they will be on sale!:D

Ain't life grand? By the way, no cuddleduds in the summer anymore; my inner thermostat has adjusted.

Bought a fish scale at Walmart for less than $5. Fits in my carryon easily so I can check on the way and on the way back with all the purchases!

Great idea, Boewok! I'll have to look into that. :)

Archived