X said JBOY not approved vendor

DaisyGirl55

I called Celebrity to verify that a gift basket sent by JBOY would be allowed, and that any alcohol bought would not be confiscated. I did this because on another board I read that a few cruisers had their bottles confiscated even though they were not smuggled in, but came in a basket. Of course, many also reported that they had no problems with their gift baskets. Since I am sailing out of Vancouver, I wanted to verify the rules for sailing out of an international port.

Candace at Bon Voyage Services told me that JBOY was NOT an approved vendor for Vancouver. Rather disappointing, and we do not want to take the chance of ordering anyway if there is a chance that it will never make it to my room. Don't want to spend the money.

Our only other alternative is either use Celebrity's Bon Voyage service and pay their higher prices, or not have any alcohol in our room for a quiet drink on our balcony. I know we can do a couple of bottles of wine, but we are not big wine drinkers, and prefer a cocktail in our room.

(sigh) Very disappointed!

Just put a small plastic bottle of whatever you like to drink in your main luggage (that goes to the ships porters for delivery to your cabin) and you will be fine. Either buy it in a plastic bottle or transfer it to an empty water bottle (aquafina or the like). You can then order some mixers from your cabin steward to keep in your fridge.

They will not confiscate the contents of your checked luggage. Done it many times without problems. I suspect that smuggling is much more common on the ships than you might think.

Steve

I just completed cruise 13 and with all of them, I take my on alcohol without a problem. I do as Steve suggest and place it in the bags given to the Porters at the pier and never a problem. I also leave it in the same containers. I place each container in multiple plastic bags and the wrap clothes around the bottle and ensure it is in the middle of the bag (large suitecases). I never place more than 2 bottles per bag. On the most recent 11 day sailing, I came on with 1 Grey Goose, 1 Barcardi, 1 Coconut Rum, 1 Pear Absolute, and 1 Absolute Citron. All made it on fine. I did carry two bottles of Pinot Grigio in my carry on without a problem. On the last day, I gave the remaining booze to the room steward. He was cool with that.

Steve let me tell you, we had an awesome time. I slipped the room steward $25 and he delivered all of the glassware, juice mixers, and a large plate of shrimp plus fruit and cheese plates. We had about 10 people over (we had an aft balcony cabin on the Constellation) and I hooked up the ihome and had a great party. Throwing a good cocktail party is one of the few genes I have.

Wayne,

Who did you have over? Ten friends, or people you met on the ship ?

Aft Balconies are great. Had one on RCCL for Panama Canal.

Doing Galaxy June 11th in Europe with a good friend. No balcony, just a big window...

Steve

Steve - Friends that we made while on the ship. Some of which were our neighbors on the ship. I was on the Galaxy a few years ago when she sailed out of Baltimore and had one of the family ocean view rooms. Great ship and great room. Very cool about the European cruise and a great itinerary. Have you ever been to Rome? Hit me up on my e-mail (wayneair@aol.com) and I can share some great places to dine in Rome if you never been.

Wayne

Wayne and Steve:

As we are flying from Atlanta, GA straight through to Vancouver, Canada on an international flight, do you still think we could get by with putting a bottle or two in our luggage? Don't want to get into an international incident over bring alcohol across the border! :eek:

Or do you suggest we buy it in Vancouver, and then put it in our checked luggage? Even if the price per bottle is higher in Vancouver, it still has to be cheaper than buying a bottle from Celebrity's Bon Voyage service.

One more question - did you keep your alcohol out on the counter?

Thanks guys!

I would have the taxi driver recommend/stop at a good liquor store on the way to the pier. Yes, you can keep the bottles out in plain sight.

It is not a big deal on the ships. The cruise lines are just trying to discourage the pracitce as much as they can. They are not going to send in the booze sniffing dogs to bust you!!!

PS:Your cabin steward won't care and if you tip him/her a bit in the beginnning, you can get some mixers/glassware etc. to with it!! Enjoy yourself and DONT WORRY!!!

Steve

Thanks Steve...you convinced me to go for it! I would love to "play by the rules" if I thought the rules were reasonable. I hate being punished for what a few stupid people do with alcohol when they are on vacation. We enjoy having a cocktail in our room, but that doesn't mean the cruiseline isn't going to get their share of my bar tab! The bottle is for my room only, and I would never make a drink just to bring it out on deck. My DH and I are responsible drinkers, and are past the time of drinking till we can't stand up anymore. Other than the ships worrying about their revenue, I don't feel like a drink or two in my room is hurting anyone.

I sure miss the days when you could purchase a bottle onboard and bring it back to your room! Besides, why should wine drinkers have all the fun?

Give me a jack and coke any day!

Archived