Trip Insurance Question

This is my 5th cruise and I have always purchased trip insurance from Travelex. It covered all medical expenses, if needed, as well as cancellation. It also costs me $700. We are a family of 5 with my son bringing a friend, and the trip cost is $10,400. I decided to call my medical insurance company and found out that I am 100% covered out of the US and they even cover medical evacuation.

My question is, should I just buy the insurance for the cancellation issue? If so, how do I purchase insurance just for the sole reason we had to cancel. Is this possible? Any ideas what company would cover this?

You need the insurance not only for medical reasons but for trip interruption/cancellation. We are also covered by our health insurance while traveling, but take the insurance out for the other reasons.

You really don't need to take out the insurance until final payment is due since if you have to cancel prior to making final payment, your deposit would be fully refunded.

I dont know if this applies, but if you are at all concerned about "pre-existing medical conditions" then you do need to purchase the insurance within 21 days of paying your deposit if you are using TravelEx, otherwise pre-existing conditions are not covered. If you use a company such as AccessAmerica, they require that the insurance be paid within 14 days of booking & making your initial deposit otherwise pre-existing medical is not covered. And many insurance companies dont offer pre-existing insurance at all, such as Berkley which is the one RCL uses. Even though we are also covered by our private med insurance company the cruise insurance medical plans often cover some expenses that our own plan will not, such as the exorbitant fees for a medical evacuation off a ship, etc. Plus the cruise cancellation and interruption coverage is important to us, as is the lost baggage (which did happen to us once).

Archived