Expert Pilot for Alaskan Waters

Cruise Arizona

I heard on one of the news reports about the Empress of the North running agrount, that Majestic American did not have an expert pilot on board for the Alaskan cruise.

The report said that most of the large cruise ships carry a pilot for the Alaskan cruise to help navigate the inside passage.

I had never heard of this but it does make a lot of sense. Does anyone know if the larger ships are required to do this? If not required does Celebrity have an expert on board???

I be curious to learn if anyone else heard of this or has more information.

Different requirements for different classes/sizes of ships.

Ocean going liners and cruise ships draw much more water, so need a clearer passage.

Paddle boats don't draw nearly as much water, and can go through many channels off limits to ships.

Obviously, this trip Empress of the North went too shallow.

That is such an interesting question.... I know in the Panama Canal they require a special pilot to come onboard and get the ships through the canal, but I never considered that the same thing might apply in Alaska.....

we have sailed Inside Passage/Alaska twice (going back next month!) and there are a couple spots along the way where the ship slows for a small boat carrying a pilot to pull up and offload said pilot. can't remember exactly where (besides Yakutat Bay for Hubbard Glacier) but it's just another one of those cool cruising moments to hang out on deck and watch this take place.

TR

Mercury AK 6/29/07

Galaxy PC 4/06

Mercury AK 8/05

Millennium EC 12/04

Mercury CA-MX 4/04

Infinity AK 8/03

Century WC 3/03

Century EC 9/02

We've seen pilots get on board on our trips to Alaska, too. It is a cool thing to see. We had the opportunity to sit at the Captain's table and he told us about this the first night. It was very interesting to see the pilot transfer from his small boat to our big ship and back again! You must get up early to see this and/or ask when this will happen or you may miss it.

:) Good evening,

I beleive this is a pretty standard process in any island/area/municipality.

Ana Alaska pilot is picked up during the 2nd night going north, and stays pretty well all the way. Similarly, a BC Coastal pilot gets on in Vancouver and stays on until outside of the passage, early day #2.

Nearing Seward, same thing: as we enter the Bay, pilot gets on. Yukata bay;same thing.

I've observed that as well on the approach to SanFransisco. Likewise, approching Aruba and Curacao last December, same process.

A client described a very similar process as you exit the NorthSea on the way to Amsterdam.

So...IMO, this is pretty well worldwide....Makes you feel more secure really, knowing there is a ''local'' on the bridge who knows that stretch of water like the back of his hand and can guide the Master....

Cheers

:rolleyes:

Archived