Dining Times Aboard Med Cruises

First seating is generally at 6:00 or 6:30.

Second seating is generally around 8:00 or 8:30.

Second seating is usually best in the Med, but can sometimes be hard for US / Canadian passengers to be assigned, because the cruise lines' attitude is that North American passengers will put up with first seating; but European passengers will not.

There is -of course- a simple and obvious "fix." Simply adjust the seating times so that demand is equally balanced between the two seatings. (Possibly 7:30 and 9:30). For reasons unknown, the lines refuse to do this, and prefer to "cram" unwilling North Americans into first seating.

We prefer early dining, we had early dining in the Med last summer and the dining room was rarely full--which to us was a plus. In fact our table sat 8 and for our entire 12 night cruise my wife and I were the only 2 at the table. Our waiter explained that most European cruisers just won't show up to dinner if they don't get assigned late dining.

We only had 1 problem, we got back to the ship late from Rome and were late for dinner and felt rushed.

I have also had difficulty (as a U. S. Resident) getting late seating.

Many times I have suggested that they adjust the times to balance the demand. I always thought that 7:30 and 9:30 might do it.

At least one post suggests that they may have listened. Sadly, other posts suggest that they still don't listen.

Never knew getting late seating was a problem. Our TA asked which we preferred. We told him Late Seating and he said no problem. Our group of 6 was assigned Late Seating.

It may depend on how far out you book your cruise. We booked within a couple weeks of when they started taking bookings for our sailing date. Obviously if you book it within 6 months of sailing whether you are from North America or Europe, you probably won't get Late Seating if that is your choice. I really doubt it is a continental discrimination case :)

True it does depend on when you book....we booked as soon as the sailings opened and originally asked for late seating ---- then we switched to early:eek:

We're hoping the early will be 7ish - but I'm not going to worry about the dining times - we plan to eat in many of the countries we are visiting - that's part of the experience.

Personally I think this is where RCL should go with open seating. IMHO - flame away if you want to.

We were originally booked for the late seating, but I called RCI and they said on a Med cruise, early seating is at 7:00 and late is at 9:30. After hearing that, I changed ours to early b/c our land tours start so early in the morning.

Two weeks ago on the Voyager it was the following:

Main seating on deck 4 at 6 pm, on deck 3 and 5 at 6:30 pm.

Second seating on deck 4 at 9 pm, on deck 3 and 5 at 9:30 pm.

Hope that helps.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Please, Please, Please be 7:00 and 9:30 on the Voyager. We have early seating with 2 kids but still want to spend as much time in ports as possible which means normally a 7:00 departure.

As I said before, on a recent sailing on the Voyager (early May) from Barcelona, dining times were 7pm and 9.30 - we were on the late seating which suited us just fine, although I did hear of people wanting to switch to late and were unable to change as it was full.

We were on the Brilliance last week. There were two early seating one at 6 and one at 6:30. The late seatings were 8:30 and 9. With the late seating your show is usually at 11pm if you are in port and 7-7:15 if you are at sea or have an early sailing from a port.

I would not even consider a cruise with a dining time of 9.30 pm and I am British. Far to late and not healthy either to eat at that time of night. I could consider the early sitting at 7 pm if that was the case, but then I think everybody would be wanting this sitting. I don't think it is anything to do with your nationality regarding allocation of times because we have always booked as soon as the season opens for booking and we have always got our requested times. So I think it is a case of if you want to dine at a certain time either book early or choose a line that has freestyle dining.

Does anybody know what time the seatings are on Navigator in the med? We had requested late seating, but I'm not sure about 9:30 pm!

On the 16th June sailing the times are 6.30 and 8.45--'Jammer, Portofino & Chops, here we come!

Alan

That was our one and only complaint about our first Med cruise on The Brilliance. we had late seating which was at 8:30. So of course by the time everyone arrived and gave their order, food started to arrive about 9 - 9:15 and we were often still waiting for dessert at 11 pm. Many shore excursions left at 7 am so we went straight to bed after dinner. Never saw the midnight buffet either. Give me early or give me buffet ;-)

Archived