Review of Barbados-Malibu beach

ShannonWPB

We were in port 04/24 for most of the day. Our cruise visited 7 different islands and this was my most favorite. The cruise ship terminal is very large, has lots of shops, and a reasonable internet cafe. The Earthworks pottery shop is located there and has lots of nice things. We decided to do somehting on our own much thanks to all the cruise critic tips I've read.

We went to the Malibu Rum Welcome center which is just a few miles north of the cruise port on Spring Garden hwy. We walked towards town from the cruise port, wandered around Pelican Village(which isn't as cheezey as i thought it would be). a block or two past that is the bus terminal. We told them where we wanted to go and they were veryf riendly and went out of there way to show us which bus to take to Malibu. We bought tokens and saved money- it is a 10 dollar taxi ride one way. We took the bus to Malibu, tell the driver where you want to go and he will stop. We had to walk down a road to get to the beach. We paid 10 dollars pp for the tour, beach chairs, umbrella, and a free well drink. The tour was 30 min long, took you around the factory, saw the barrels, the placed smelled like alcohol, very neat, the beach was gorgeous, clear, turquoise waters, if there aren't any available chairs and umbrellas on the ground, go tell one of the staff and they will place the chairs and umbrella where you want them. They also have a little grill where we got flying fish and fries for two for 12 dollars and it was excellent. You can stay on the beach for as long as you want and there are always taxi drivers around to bring you back. Besides Malibu rum, the store also sells small bottles of cockspur rum which is produced on-site. Bought several little bottles back with us- i think they were only a few dollars each- they made great gifts

I found the people to be very friendly on this island and not pushy when it came to purchasing souvenirs and the like, the west coast is very built up but i found it to be very beautiful!

Shannon:

Thanks so much for your review. DH/I will be stopping at Barbados in December. Are there facilities (bathrooms/showers) we could use? We might be traveling with our baby (trying to adopt) so I have to make sure that whatever we do is baby friendly.:)

If you have any pictures, I would be interested in seeing them.

How long was the walk from the bus to Malibu Beach? Did you take the bus back to the ship or a taxi? Any information you have on taxi/bus I would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome back and thanks!

Sea ya!

Thanks for the nice review. we will be there this August.

May I ask how the payment worked? Do you pay for the admission to the beach, chair etc at the tour of the rum factory???

We liked the idea of walking and site seeing a bit, so how you spent the day sounds great to us.

thanks

brockmom

• 2 weeks later...
Shannon:

Thanks so much for your review. DH/I will be stopping at Barbados in December. Are there facilities (bathrooms/showers) we could use? We might be traveling with our baby (trying to adopt) so I have to make sure that whatever we do is baby friendly.:)

If you have any pictures, I would be interested in seeing them.

How long was the walk from the bus to Malibu Beach? Did you take the bus back to the ship or a taxi? Any information you have on taxi/bus I would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome back and thanks!

Sea ya!

Lets Party,

There are bathrooms & changing rooms that i think may have a shower but not sure- there is a place to rinse off outside. The walk from the bus to the beach was maybe a block, we had to walk down a road to a side street where the center was located. The bus station itself is close to Pelican craft Center which is a little walk- maybe 5-10 min from the port. There is a guy at the ticket counter who you can ask about the schedule. We told him exactly where we wanted to go and they pointed out which bus to take. the bus left right on time, maybe even a little early and i think they come around very half hour. We waited in one of the shops in pelican craft center. If you dont mind the walk and wait, you could save a little bit of money. A cab on the way back was 10 dollars to the port. There were a few drivers waiting to take people back to the ship. I'm sure the staff would call a taxi for you but there wasn't much of a shortage of drivers. Good luck on your adoption!

Thanks for the nice review. we will be there this August.

May I ask how the payment worked? Do you pay for the admission to the beach, chair etc at the tour of the rum factory???

We liked the idea of walking and site seeing a bit, so how you spent the day sounds great to us.

thanks

brockmom

Brockmom,

You pay the fee up front when you go inside to the shop and tell them you want to do the tour. They charge the 10 dollars pp and i think they do the tours every 30 min. Youc an choose to wait on the beach or at the bar for the next tour.. You have free run of the place for the whole afternoon..just make sure you ask one of the staff on the beach to get you your own umbrella and chair- each person gets a chair and two people share the umbrellas

Thanks so much for the infor. We had been thinking about this for our Cruise in December as well. Now I know it is the one. How was the water and the beach? Is it fairly calm and sandy? Also one more question...you said small bottles of the rum...what size are they?

Thanks

Shannon:

Thanks for the information, it's greatly appreciated. Also thanks for the adoption wishes as well!

Islandman113:

Since you are from Barbados.... what do you recommend for those that are visiting Barbados for the first time via. cruise? We might be travelling with a baby (trying to adopt) so the tours that we are interested in does not accept infants. Our plan right now is to walk around near the pier/Bridgetown and depending on time/baby/etc. take a taxi over to Malibu Beach for a while. Any suggestions? Also what is the taxi rate from the pier/Malibu beach? Is the cost of the taxi charged by person or by car load? Are all taxi's safe?

Thanks everyone!

Sea ya!

Archived