birthday on the cruise?

kathy_bc

We will be sailing to Alaska on June 8th. June 9th is my hubby's birthday. Does HAL do a little song and dance thing? On our last RCCL cruise, on one night, they delivered a bunch of little cakes around the room, and sang this fast version of happy birthday, or happy anniversary.

If so, who do I tell??

thanks,

k

We are sailing to Alaska on the 8th July too - are you on the Ryndam from Vancouver? This gets stranger - it is my husband's birthday on the 9th as well! It is our first cruise and I have been wondering just the same as you. I filled in his details in the appropriate space on our booking form way back last June (booked through TA here in England), but don't know who you would inform now. I'm sure some kind people here will soon tell us all we need to know.

DH has celebrated a few birthdays while we are cruising. If your TA has notified HAL, a small cake will be brought to your table and depending on how many waiters and their assistants are available at that time depends on how many will TRY to sing happy birthday.

The cake is small and serves only 4 people with a nice slice. If there are more people at your table, all will only get a slimmer of a slice.

BUT - as I mentioned this must be arranged before sailing.

Our travel agent has always arranged these celebrations for us but I'm sure if you speak to your head waiter he would arrange for a cake for your husband the next day. They are all so helpful and want to make your cruise special. I have had my birthday on quite a few trips and always have asked the waiters to sing "Happy Birthday" to me in their Indonesian language. They seem to sing more energetically when it is their own words. I really enjoy it! Give it a try and I think your husband will like it also.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY greetings to him and have a wonderful cruise with great weather and calm seas!!!!

Call your TA and ask him/her to add the birthday to your booking record with HAL. There's plenty of time to do this before the 6/8 cruise.

Be sure to dine in the dining room the night of the birthday (sounds strange, but if you choose casual dining you'll miss your cake) ...

Enjoy....

Carol in SC

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I have found the birthday or anniversary cakes to be quite ordinary. Each time I was wishing I was enjoying one of the wonderful desserts off the menu.

Given that I would not tell your TA and just quietly ask your waitor to put a candle on DH's dessert and still sing.

This question has come up before an others have said they like the cakes so maybe it's just me. :o

I don't think your TA informs HAL. They get your date of birth right from your passport. I think they have some sort of computer program that flags that information and then passes it along to the dining room staff.

I never bothered to inform anyone from HAL or from Princess that I was celebrating a birthday onboard, yet on both ships the dining room staff knew it was my birthday and brought the cake. The waitstaff also sang to me. In fact, on the Amsterdam in January 2006, my cabin steward knew it was my birthday and began singing to me when I left that morning for a snorkling excursion in Maui. When I returned to the cabin later that afternoon, he had made me a towel monkey which was hanging over my bed. In its "paws" was a card signed by the Captain.

My cabinmate on my last cruise celebrated a birthday while on the QE2, and the dining room staff there also knew of the occasion and sang to her.

So, the only thing I can figure is that the cruise line must extract the date of birth right from your passport info. After all, I wouldn't count on a busy TA to remember to manually pass that information along ... would you?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I have found the birthday or anniversary cakes to be quite ordinary.

Yeah, but who cares? It's the thought that counts, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived