"Guaranteed Cabin"

nucrewzers

Greetings All!

My G.F. and I being new to the crusing game, have booked a 7 day extravaganza aboard the Pride in mid July to the Mexican Rivie.

We went with the "cabin guarantee" (8A or above).

Just wondering what to expect, and what the possibilities may be for a "really suite" upgrade.

Also, can anyone tell me the amount of alcohol one is allowed to return with..(we are die-hard Kahlua fans!) and does one actually have to go through the typical "customs"?

Much obliged in advance!

Booking an 8A guarantee, you are guaranteed an 8A, it is that simple, if you are hoping for something better, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. It is possible, but contrary to what you might read on this site (less than 3% of all cruisers are here) not everyone gets upgrades, you can search on that topic, lots of polls and "tell me all" threads.

For the facts on how much booze to bring back, check the customs website, yes, you will have to clear customs:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

Nucrewzers-

I booked an 8a guarantee for my upcoming Liberty cruise and got upgraded to an 8d on the Lido deck--which is exactly what I hoped for! You will at least get an 8a cabin, that is guaranteed. It is possible that you may get upgraded to a higher deck (like we did) or even possibly a suite (very remote chance). Either way, you will at least get what you paid for and might be suprised with a bonus of getting a better room than what you paid for. Just my opinion..... I would book a guarantee again, for sure. Others will tell you it's the worst thing in the world to do....it really comes down to your own preference.

Happy cruising!

Greetings All!

My G.F. and I being new to the crusing game, have booked a 7 day extravaganza aboard the Pride in mid July to the Mexican Rivie.

Just wondering what to expect, and what the possibilities may be for a "really suite" upgrade.

Also, can anyone tell me the amount of alcohol one is allowed to return with..(we are die-hard Kahlua fans!) and does one actually have to go through the typical "customs"?

Much obliged in advance!

We booked an 8A and were upgraded to an 8I on the Panorama Deck for our cruise next month. We also booked a guarantee last year and were also upgraded to the highest deck. From what I understand, you will never get an obstructed view when you book an 8A but I could be wrong. We were very happy both times.

Greetings All!

Much obliged in advance!

Also keep in mind that the ship will price match. I have a photo I took in Playa del Carmen where Kahlua was $8.90 for a 1 liter bottle. The ship's price was $12.95. It sure beats having to lug the bottles around while on shore. Just make sure the photo shows the price and the size of the bottle.

Dave

I want to keep my 8a guarantee, but I would be heartbroken if I got an obstructed view.
You are not going to get an obstructed balcony with an 8A guarantee. An obstructed balcony is a 7A - you will get an 8A or better - nothing less.

If you book a 8A guarantee you will not get a obstructed view. All 8A's are on the main deck (deck #4) I just booked a 8A guarantee for some friends of mine. I think they will be happy. You may get upgraded to a 9A...and those are obstructed views but I think there are only two of those 9A cabins on the ship on the upper deck. I wouldn't worry to much. You should have a great balcony room..

In most cases you get what you pay for. I have read in these boards, numerous times about individuals who book a cabin grade, not a specific cabin and have "wonderful upgrade." The individual who books a cabin class, has agreed to take any cabin in that class. In most cases who will be assigned a cabin that for some reason, nobody wished to book. In one case we were offered a class upgrade which we wisely refused. Although the cabin was in a higher grade (category) it was in the stern of the ship, in a very nosy area and very oddly shaped. To be specific, it was a cabin that nobody else would have wanted. Why risk a vacation with a poor cabin to save several dollars. Unless you wish to sail on a ship at the last moment in which most of the cabins are already booked, you will be much better off to select the cabin, in the area of the ship that you want and the time of booking and to refuse upgrades

I booked a Cat 11 guar. on the Inspiration a couple of weeks ago and got stuck with the worst room possible..balcony view: two orange life boats and white metal railings at eye view.

I am trying to think of a nice way of say that this absolutely not true. A cat 11 is a suite, and if you are guaranteed a cat 11 or better you are not going to end up with an obstructed view cabin. Either you didn't book a cat 11 guarantee, or this is just a flat out lie intended to make the OP worry.

I want to keep my 8a guarantee, but I would be heartbroken if I got an obstructed view.

It cannot happen. An obstructed view is a lower category than what you booked. You will get an 8A or better, but you will not do any worse.

If that is the case why risk it?

pay the xtra 100 bucks or so and book the room you want.

Yes, but I've heard different answers about the possibility of getting an obstructed view with 8a. If there is a chance, you're right, I'm going to pay the extra not to risk it :)

Yes, but I've heard different answers about the possibility of getting an obstructed view with 8a. If there is a chance, you're right, I'm going to pay the extra not to risk it :)
While you don't run the risk of getting an obstructed (note - most agree on this) I have found that doing a guarantee is very risky- JMHO. You could end up ANYWHERE.

We were very lucky one time - booked an inside got an outside - bottom deck - no noise. But more times then I can count people have posted that they had a guarantee and ended up under the disco or they thought - WOW I got upgrade to the top deck - only to discover they were getting woke up at 5:30 in the morning by chairs being dragged across the deck while the crew was setting up for the day. Or let's not forget being by the anchor when it drops. These are all things that COULD happen. If you like to go to bed early or like to sleep in late then (Just me) I would book an actual cabin that you know you will be happy with. It is worth the extra money to enjoy your vacation. Check out everything above/below and next to you before making your decision.

I am trying to think of a nice way of say that this absolutely not true. A cat 11 is a suite, and if you are guaranteed a cat 11 or better you are not going to end up with an obstructed view cabin. Either you didn't book a cat 11 guarantee, or this is just a flat out lie intended to make the OP worry.

You don't have to try to think of a nice way of saying anything. The poster is correct. You must not be aware of how the Fantasy ships are laid out. The only balconies are cat 11 and 12 and a couple of the 11's have the view reported above.

You don't have to try to think of a nice way of saying anything. The poster is correct. You must not be aware of how the Fantasy ships are laid out. The only balconies are cat 11 and 12 and a couple of the 11's have the view reported above.

The OP is on the Pride. That is a Spirit class ship. What you describe cannot happen on a Spirit class ship. So again, why purposely cause the OP worry (which did happen) when what is being described is impossible?

The OP is on the Pride. That is a Spirit class ship. What you describe cannot happen on a Spirit class ship. So again, why purposely cause the OP worry (which did happen) when what is being described is impossible?

I now the OP is.

But the poster, iamgolden, was telling why they don't do GTY. You told iamgolden who had cruised on the Inspiration, a Fatasy class ship;

You are wrong to have said this to and about them. Nobody is trying to cause the OP worry. iamgolden has a right to express why THEY don't do gty with out being insulted. So, you once again state what is being described is impossible. Why are you still calling iamgolden a liar?

Why not leave it at:

The OP is on the Pride. That is a Spirit class ship. What you describe cannot happen on a Spirit class ship. A very correct statement

I only responded as you asked:

So again, why purposely cause the OP worry (which did happen) when what is being described is impossible?

I now the OP is.

But the poster, iamgolden, was telling why they don't do GTY. You told iamgolden who had cruised on the Inspiration, a Fatasy class ship;

You are wrong to have said this to and about them. Nobody is trying to cause the OP worry. iamgolden has a right to express why THEY don't do gty with out being insulted. So, you once again state what is being described is impossible. Why are you still calling iamgolden a liar?

Why not leave it at:

The OP is on the Pride. That is a Spirit class ship. What you describe cannot happen on a Spirit class ship. A very correct statement

I only responded as you asked:

So again, why purposely cause the OP worry (which did happen) when what is being described is impossible?

You are correct that Fantasy class ships do have obstructed cat 11 suites. I was not thinking Fantasy class when the OP is talking about Spirit class. So now the OP is clearly worried about getting an obstructed view cabin on a Spirit class when that cannot happen with an 8A guarantee on a Spirit class. Yes, it someone could end up with a obstructed view cat 11 suite on a Fantasy class ship, but the OP clearly does not understand the differences between all the different classes and is clearly worried about getting an obstruction view when that cannot happen on a Spirit class ship with an 8A guarantee.

Given this, I agree my post was a little strongly worded, but I reacted to:

1) The fact that the OP is on a Spirit class ship.

2) There are no obstructed views on a Spirit class once you reach cat 8.

3) The OP is now clearly worried about getting an obstructed view when it cannot happen.

Still, no excuse. My post went overboard and that is my fault. That the OP is worried about getting an obstructed view on a the Pride when the OP has a balcony guarantee is iamgolden's responsibility, since iamgolden is the only one making any claims of an obstructed view on this thread. And clearly the OP does not understand the difference between what is available on a Fantasy class ship (which has no cat 8 cabins) and a Spirit class ship which has a special category (less than 8) for the obstructed view cabins.

Even you agree that the OP will not end up in an obstructed view cabin.

Actually you're wrong. I booked a suite guarantee on the Imagination(knew I would get a Cat12 because Cat11 sleep 3 and we had 4) BUT there are 6 obstructed Cat11 on the fantasy class ships that's where the life boats are.

Whilst it is correct, to state that an 8a gty will not result in getting a cat 7 obstructed view cabin, there are some cat 8's that could be considered "obstructed" do to their location in relation to the bump-ins for example, I would never want to be in cabins 6152 or 6155 which are 8Es.

JMHO.

Actually you're wrong. I booked a suite guarantee on the Imagination(knew I would get a Cat12 because Cat11 sleep 3 and we had 4) BUT there are 6 obstructed Cat11 on the fantasy class ships that's where the life boats are.

Once again, the OP is not on a Fantasy class ship.

Once again, the OP is not on a Fantasy class ship.

...but you were not quoting the OP when you went on your tirade, and basically called the poster a liar, when in fact the poster, while potentially being confusing to the OP, was in fact dead on about the Cat 11's

You apologized - but you might continue to get responses unless people read through all the posts....

...but you were not quoting the OP when you went on your tirade, and basically called the poster a liar, when in fact the poster, while potentially being confusing to the OP, was in fact dead on about the Cat 11's

You apologized - but you might continue to get responses unless people read through all the posts....

Unfortunately you are correct. There is nothing I can do about that.

Archived