Ferry From Cozumel To Playa Del Carmen?

NICOLE628

I have read so many things on this board for Paradise Beach and how wonderful it is. My parents neighbors (3 different couples) have said they prefer Playa Del Carmen over Cozumel. Any other opinions out there? I will be in Cozumel on 01/19/05 from 9-5. Is that enough time to ferry over to PDC and enjoy Xcaret? Any response would be appreciated!!:)

I just got back from spending 3 days in Playa and 5 days in Cozumel so obviously you can see that Cozumel is my favorite of the two destinations. The ferry is going to take about an hour each way, so right off the bat your going to lose a 1/4 of your day, plus combined with probably not wanting to time it to catch the last possible ferry you would lose even more time. I have not been to Xacaret so I can't say that it would not be worth it, but with lots to do in Cozumel and your limited time I would not head to Playa. We love Cozumel, however I doubt my parents would be to thrilled about going there, so I guess it depends on what you enjoy doing. It might be helpfull if you included what interests you, then we could suggest some spots/activities. Hope this helps.

mdc99-

This is the first cruise for all of us. It is me, my husband, and my parents. We were thinking about just hanging out at paradise beach for part of the day and maybe doing some shopping the other part. We are all open for any suggestions because it is a new experience for all of us.

Thanks for taking the time to respond:)

If you want to see ruins, then I would recommend a ships excursion to the main land, other wise I think your plan for Paradise beach is good if you go there first, then spend some time in downtown San Miguel (sp?) for a better, more "local" cultural experience. Also, get this map/guide book for a great deal of good information.

Personally, for me, Cozumel means one thing above all else; Excellent Scuba diving. Maybe you should try that?

Discover Scuba from Blue XT Sea diving.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/transportation/index.html#Ferry

If you leave yourself plenty of time to get back--you will be fine. Try to catch the ferry from the ship to go into Playa- you can buy ferry tickets at the excursion desk. ( you will also be going first thing in themorning with the people taking the tour of the ruins. you will be dropped off downtown when you come back so leave plenty of time to get back.

• 2 weeks later...

I also took the ferry over and went to Xel-ha, as ther were no ex. on the ship that went there. You will have plenty of time. Where we went is farther than where your going and we had plenty of time.

Nan-L,

Could you please detail how you did this. We really really want to go to Xel-ha and are stressing about our ship Carnival Glory departure time and how to figure in a quality fun time at Xel-ha. We understand the 2 hour ferry time but are a little unsure about the land travel time and cost. Taxi vs. Collectivo?

I've also heard that if you book an excursion over to say.. Xcaret through the cruise line, that they won't leave without you if your a little late getting back. My cruise line doesn't offer Xel-ha wich is what I really want so I think I'm gonna settle for a little Xcaret. A little Xcaret is better than no Xcaret from what I've heard.

Archived