POLL..How Many from Gulf Coast Book July-October??

christhree

Just interested to see if the Hurricane season means anything to others who cruise...

When you book, do you:

A. consider Hurricane season

B. you take your chances, and hope for the best

C. what does hurricane season mean , as far as my cruise goes

D. other {explain}

Hey fellow Houstonian! -

I take my chances and hope for the best... doesn't matter to me really. We are going on our first cruise on September 2nd **Labor Day Weekend!** I did purchase insurance though, just to be on the safe side. I like going on vacation in the later summer months when all the kids are ready to go back to school... so we can be the only kids on the ship! (hee hee)!

By the way... what part of Houston do you live in? Going on any cruises anytime soon? I'm in West Houston and work in Clear Lake (what a commute!!!).

Lisa

Celebration 9/02/04

We're booked on the Conquest for 9/12/04.

I allowed two men to book this cruise;and now I'm worried. In love to cruise; but would never book during the height of hurricane season. Now what do I need to to do? Buy some insurance?

Read the terms and conditions that's attached to your docs or online to see if you are refunded if a hurricane does interupt your trip. My personal preference is to purchase the insurance - in case of any mishaps during or before the trip.

Check out the website: http://www.insuremytrip.com. They have MUCH lower rates than purchasing it directly from your TA. One of their rates was for $43 for 2 people for a 4 day cruise. That's pretty cheap and worth putting your mind at ease.

Good Luck!

Lisa

Celebration 9/02/04

We're going 9/26 out of Galveston. It's for my wife's birthday so not much flexibility on the date. We figure what is the worst that could happen?

A) Can't get out of Galveston because of a storm. Trip insurance/Carnival will cover the costs and we'd have to pick another date. Disappointing but not the end of the world.

B) Get into Galveston late because of a storm. I could live with that :) We're in Texas and driving so no planes to catch.

C) Itinerary changes. Any reputable tour company refunds your cash if the ship can't dock so the $$$ impact is nill. We're taking the cruise to get away , not to go somewhere, so wherever we wind up is AOK :)

We think the tangible benefits (less crowded, fewer children, lower cost) far outweigh the possible inconveniences.

We were in NYC during the blackout last year and while there were some stressful moments and our plans went out the window, we made the most of it, had a great time, and have some great memories and stories :)

No worries :)

Just interested to see if the Hurricane season means anything to others who cruise...

When you book, do you:

A. consider Hurricane season

No ... and by the way, hurricane season is June 1 thru November 30.

B. you take your chances, and hope for the best

Yep!

C. what does hurricane season mean , as far as my cruise goes

Not much. The captain will always take the ship out of harm's way. Maybe a change in ports, but that wouldn't matter to me.

D. other {explain}

I usually cruise in September (because most kiddies will be back in school) - but next cruise will be Nov. 1.

We always vacation in September or October including cruises unless we're going to Adults Only resorts. I've (knock on wood) never had any bad experiences more than a little rain during this time. We'll see what the future holds- Destiny, October 2004 :)

As I sit here, in my home on the Gulf, I don't ask why I don't cruise this time of year...I need only turn on the news and watch as Florida recovers....with 3 more following in all the ports of call...such is the luck of the draw. However, I have to "bid" vacations in advance, and don't have the luxurary {sp?}atm, to lose a week. Hence I bid around hurricane season. IF you have lived where they hit, perhaps you would too?

We took a family cruise...in June on Triumph a few years ago...WHAT A BLAST !!! Till we got to the airport in Miami, and found that our home airport {IAH} has been/IS/was closed 3 days from some Tropical Storm we never heard about during the cruise.....

There were people EVERYWHERE, mostly from cruises, camped out in the lobby...you could barely walk...

Worry about getting home, and seeing damage, was FAR below trying to get a room for 13 to spend the night... It was a NIGHTMARE. NO, our Insurance did not cover the RETURN !! We sat, we waited, we FINALLY found a room. Our return was OUR problem,,,,not Carnival's.

After that joyful experience, I no longer book Hurricane season...;) Learned my lesson well....

Lisacas1...next booked ...Conquest May 2005 but a pre tan outta Gal in Feb is planned, LOL {neither have many kids}

btw...I'm up here NORTH, near Spring

Cotton, the rest of ya'll sailing soon....GOOD SAILING,,,,may ya have a blast, smooth seas, great weather...:D

I also live on the Florida Panhandle. I've cruised in the fall during hurricane season and will continue to do so for several reasons. The prices are cheaper and there are fewer kids. I'm not worried as far as my safety is concerned being on the ship. I know that the Captain's priority is for the safety of the passengers fiirst and then the multimillion dollar ship! As far as my house is concerned..should there be a hurricane hit while I'm cruising, I have enough friends and family here who could batton down the hatches..so to speak. I've been through a cat 4 and live far enough inland that my house wasn't damaged. So I'm not too worried on that point. If my house God forbid were to be distroyed then I'd better not be in it anyway! :eek:

What does PVP stand for? Sorry, I'm a beginner! I tried getting your email address but it wouldn't allow me to. You can email me - my member name/yahoo.

By the way.. how is the weather for cruising the Western Carribbean/Mexico during the months of November - February? Is it still warm enough to be in a swimsuit?

Lisa

PVP - Carnival's "Personal Vacation Planner"

As far as weather in November, I've been told it'll be mid 80s in Cozumel.

Christhree ~ Thx for your thoughts... I'm sure I'll have a great cruise; I always do!:)

I've been through a cat 4 and live far enough inland that my house wasn't damaged...

Hey Brney - My house is beachfront, so my storage bldg. in back is full of boarding-up supplies, as you can imagine. However, that didn't stop Camille (cat.5) in Aug. 1969! We HAD to evaculate to Hattiesburg, and came back as soon as the MHP would let us return - two days later - to find a third of our house destroyed. It was so sad.

However, SO much luckier than the over 200 folks killed on the coast, so we counted our blessings and started rebuilding.

If my house God forbid were to be distroyed then I'd better not be in it anyway! :eek:

I've always said I'm safer on a cruise ship during a hurricane than I am in my own home.

I don't even consider cruising to be an option during the prime hurricane season. Like a previous cruiser said, it's hot here, so why go somewhere else where it's just as hotter. Besides, I want to be here to take care of my stuff before the next big one hits.

Archived