Growing concern from Wildfires in Florida

edan

I am really worried about driving in from Louisiana on May 27th. I don't want to get into a dangerous situation and I don't want to take my family into an area of smoke and spend 4 days in WDW to only not be able to go outside.

I know no rain is forecasted. Can anyone that lives there or who has just returned tell me how bad it really is? No one is mentioning it this on any boards I can find anywhere, I have posted on the Port Canaveral board too as we are going there May 31st for our cruise!

THanks,

I am really worried about driving in from Louisiana on May 27th. I don't want to get into a dangerous situation and I don't want to take my family into an area of smoke and spend 4 days in WDW to only not be able to go outside.

I know no rain is forecasted. Can anyone that lives there or who has just returned tell me how bad it really is? No one is mentioning it this on any boards I can find anywhere, I have posted on the Port Canaveral board too as we are going there May 31st for our cruise!

THanks,

There are ways around the fire area. HWY 75 (although it runs on the west coast) is one way.

The fire's in Florida are what they are. And who really knows how bad they will be in 12 days. And the Florida State Police, will all be off at that time, instead of redirecting you for safe passage, I guess. And what about the ocean, on a cruise? Just pack up your van and go! Who says a vacation, cannot be an adventure? I think maybe you are worrying to much. If you don't go, with the family, you'll catch all kinds of Hell{fire}, fron the family anyway. Metrowon

Just on here looking for facts, not to stir up those who live to flame. There is no need for such rancor....

Thanks to those who actually have information that is helpful.

We have wild fires every year in FL. The national media likes to make it a "breaking story" every couple of years. FOX news actually started a broadcast last week with "the state of FL is in flames!" :eek: Well we are still here and not BBQed.

Don't worry about it. I'm in Central FL and I haven't seen smoke in the air since last week. We do have rain in the forecast for today and tomorrow (40% chance) then the weekend is going to beautiful. Enjoy your visit!

Mary

I too am in central florida and the smoke has lifted from our area and no problem to go outside. I am not far from WDW and it was nice there last weekend too!!

We get fires every year, as stated above the media often blows things out of proportion a bit when nothing else is happening.

If there are road closeures, dont worry there are plenty of alternate routes to take.

we did have some rain the end of last week and more i coming which always helps.

Out of all the fires only one is really huge. it is the one that came across the border from georgia, but last night they said it was now 50% contained and No homes were in immediate danger.

No road closures today for smoke either.

so no worries,

Lots of Pixie dust here to keep your vacation a magicl experience!!

mom x4,grandma x4

Now this is info I can use!LOL

It was never in question as to cancel our trip (not unless the earth opened up and swallowed the Kingdom, lol) but I just wanted to know from REAL people who are THERE what it is like. I don't consider the news to be REAL <G>

So glad to know the air is not clogged with smoke. I pray those fires are put out soon, though. When we sailed from New Orleans a few years ago, there were huge fires in Mexico and the sky over the port was very hazy and it stayed that way for us the first day and a half.

Thanks for all your helpful info. Funny how somethings never change on this board. Since I have been off and on it since 1999(even though my last memeber year reads 2001), there has always been a few people who seem to want to jump on anything they can to be hateful and mean. I don't get it, lol, I guess some just never grew up!

Have a GREAT DAY!!

Now this is info I can use!LOL

It was never in question as to cancel our trip (not unless the earth opened up and swallowed the Kingdom, lol) but I just wanted to know from REAL people who are THERE what it is like. I don't consider the news to be REAL <G>

So glad to know the air is not clogged with smoke. I pray those fires are put out soon, though. When we sailed from New Orleans a few years ago, there were huge fires in Mexico and the sky over the port was very hazy and it stayed that way for us the first day and a half.

Thanks for all your helpful info. Funny how somethings never change on this board. Since I have been off and on it since 1999(even though my last memeber year reads 2001), there has always been a few people who seem to want to jump on anything they can to be hateful and mean. I don't get it, lol, I guess some just never grew up!

Have a GREAT DAY!!

Feel free to check in for an update as your trips gets closer. I'm 40 mins west of Orlando so, Kathy may be a better gage on WDW weather.

My son has asthma and I can understand your concern about smoke. It was pretty yucky last week. I had to put my a/c on and close windows (More for the smoke than the temps) But, it seems clear now. Let's hope it stays that way!

Your poor son, I bet you have had to watch him closely.

I grew up in Western NC and the trains that run thru Clinchfield RR there seemed to always spark fires every summer. Most were very contained, most on the Blue Ridge Parkway and no threat to homes, but the air quality would always worsen. I know I read somewhere that last week Orlando had the pooriest air quality in the nation due to the smoke. Ugh.

We will keep praying for that rain and the air to stay clear.

Yes, please feel free to ask me for an update when your trip gets closer.

Today was a good day in most places in the central florida area.

My husband and one son also have asthma. So I keep a close eye on such things too.

2 weeks ago it was really bad at Epcot, even I was coughing and runny nose and eyes. Thank goodness it really is better now. My friend even had ashes covering her yard for 3 days. she is only 20 minutes drive from me.

I will keep up on the local situation, just remind me by asking again a couple days before you go!!

I'm sure you'll have a magical vacation!!!

kathy

another floridian here: if this eases your mind you can check the following websites (not commercial sites)

road/traffic reports: http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/traffic/ this is a link to the Florida Highway Patrol traffic reports

also, you can check the "local" news for the counties you will be traveling through; just google the county, I.E. Baker, Columbia, Orange etc.... for additional updates and info.....

I certainly am glad it's cleared out too. What terrible conditions for anyone with asthma to have to live in.

I know the media blows everything way out of proportion, but the fact remains the fires are burning in a lot of places. Proof positive : your neighbor had ashes on her yard! How awful.

I am sure everything will be fine, but I do like to get as much info as possible. I guess we all do, that is why we frequent these message boards!

I am just grateful for sweethearts like you that really help!

THANK YOU,

I live 27 miles west of WDW, fair amount of smoke along I-4 this afternoon but also some rain that may help knock down the smoke a little. I was on board the Wonder this morning and no smoke at the port. Some smoke at WDW this afternoon but not enough to keep folks inside.

The smoke in our area has been an on and off thing, often moving in and out as quickly as a few hours. Don't worry about it, I think you'll be fine.

This is not on fires, but hurricanes - a few years ago when we had the "year of the hurricanes", my daughter that lives in upstate New York called me totally hysteria for she had just heard the news and it had Florida blown into the gulf - now they were serious hurricanes, but sometimes things just get blown between truthful and over zealous reports. Those coming down will be fine honest. Listen to the Floridians - they do know what is going on first hand.

always

Shirley

Hey there Kathy - glad to see that you posted on this one - you are one smart cookie ;-) who has been around for sometime.

This is not on fires, but hurricanes - a few years ago when we had the "year of the hurricanes", my daughter that lives in upstate New York called me totally hysteria for she had just heard the news and it had Florida blown into the gulf - now they were serious hurricanes, but sometimes things just get blown between truthful and over zealous reports. Those coming down will be fine honest. Listen to the Floridians - they do know what is going on first hand.

always

Shirley

Hey there Kathy - glad to see that you posted on this one - you are one smart cookie ;-) who has been around for sometime.

Yep, asking those who live there was my plan : )

I think Floridians are pretty smart cookies.... I married one! : )

My mom always thinks we've been blown away by tornados when she sees my area on the Weather Channel having a red box around it, lol. She lives in an area where there are never tornados so she has no idea how localized they really are. We have quiet a few here in NW La. I live in the 20-mile radius that is most prone to tornados in all of La.

Archived