Seattle to Vancouver by car

Bunco49cruiser

We are sightseeing several days in Seattle before traveling to Vancouver in a rental car to board our cruise on June 2. Has anyone done this before, anything we should be aware of? How long should the trip take, mileage suggests one thing but times in travel brochures suggest something much longer. Any information would be appreciate. Thanks, Buncocruiser

Made the drive many many times as my DW is from Vancouver. It's a simple drive from Seattle 2 1/2 hours seems about right. It's a beautiful drive especially if you are not familiar with the area. The border can be a bit of a backup but I've never spent more than 15 minutes....try to schedule your crossing during a slow time I guess. Some locals on the board may be able to help you further.

Vancouver traffic has been a bit of a bear, even on weekends, the last several times we've driven up. Many road construction projects and the like going on. Not to mention the renovation of the Canadian inspection drive-thru at the Peace Arch crossing. Leave plenty of time! If you hear radio reports of heavy traffic at the Peace Arch or Truck Crossing, use one of the more eastern crossings (easily identifiable on any decent map of the area). These would also allow you to get on the Trans-Canada Highway and approach downtown Vancouver by highway from the west/north, potentially bypassing a lot of traffic south of downtown. The approach to Vancouver from Peace Arch puts you on surface streets for several possibly long miles (kilometers) until you reach downtown.

As a resident of Vancouver, and one who has done the trip a number of times, my advice is this:

Driving time from downtown Seattle to downtown Vancouver is 2:45; from Seatac Airport, closer to 3:00. On a Saturday morning in June, border time can be 30-90 minutes. As you approach Exit 276, look for the line of traffic ahead on the I-5. If don't see the line, keep going. If you do see it, take the exit and head for the truck crossing, about 1 mile east. After crossing, follow the signs back to Hwy 99 into Vancouver. You can also tune to AM730 (continuous traffic reports) as you approach Blaine and they will advise on the border waits.

After you cross the border, it should be clear sailing, as long as you avoid Cambie Street. Follow Hwy 99 into Vancouver, which puts you onto Oak St. at 70th Avenue. Go left on 41st, 1/2 mile to Granville, right on Granville, which will take you downtown. From the Granville Bridge, which will be obvious, take the Seymour Street ramp, follow Seymour all the way to the end. Jog one block left, then turn right and you're there (if you're going to Canada Place, that is).

Good luck.

One other tip: buy your gas on the US side.

Washington state has a website that indicates current wait times:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/border/

as does the Government of British Columbia:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/ATIS/index.htm

We drove from Vancouver to Seattle last Monday and checked the website right before we left. The times posted were pretty accurate - it said a 10 minute wait at Peace Arch. I think it took us 14 minutes start to finish, including chatting with the customs guy about carrot cake (first one I've ever seen with a sense of humor - we'd arrived in Canada from the Island Princess 6 hours earlier and had lunch with some business associates in Surrey before heading to Seattle to fly home. The agent wanted to know if we were in Canada just to get carrot cake.)

On the other hand, a friend said that the posted wait on the freeway sign when she did it was 40 minutes and it was closer to 90 in reality. So I guess your milage may vary.

Abby

Okay, how about the other way around?

Best time to go?

On a Friday.

Dear SFC,

I wrote this same question a few days ago, there is some great info if you scroll a little further down on this Alaska board, see Vancouver to Seattle.

Elsie:cool:

Archived