Hints for staying healthy while travelling?

Maclean girl

Can't you order it on-line? It's a common over the counter item in the States.

There are plenty of Canadian "Airbourne" equivalents in drug stores here.

London Drugs has their own store brand and I found it worked better than Airbourne (bought in WA once upon a time) for me. Shoppers probably has many too.

Starting out well-rested and getting enough sleep and sipping water throughout the day (cruise ship water is purer than bottled water -- I have a very tempermental stomach and city water in many places does not agree with me, but never had a problem with cruise line water).

We have never (knock on wood) gotten sick on a cruise but we make frequent use of the gel handwashing stations that are on many ships (HAL actually squirts everyone unless they won't agree on the way into the diningroom and I say "bravo").

Even though you wash your hands frequently and use the gel, a zillion people are touching everything you touch (and some of them are ill, a shocking number of people cough and sneeze without covering their mouth and nose (spraying millions of germs) and there are always a few other passengers who do NOT wash their hands after using the bathroom -- (ladies, WHAT are you thinking?), which is why you need to do the gel or handwashing/paper towel thing immediately before eating anything. Don't skip even if you're just grabbing a cookie.

Don't ask why but do put the toliet seat down in public restrooms before flushing or flush without inhaling until you are clear of the confined space. Enough said. Sometimes a public health background means knowing more than you wish you did ....

My and ..... is that most of us (me included) have the bad habit of touching our lips, face, nose, eyes pretty frequently (pushing the glasses up, scratching that little itch). Unless you just washed and haven't touched a thing, that's a habit that brings a lot of germs into contact with your sinuses, mouth/stomach etc. I'm working on trying to break that habit in general, but try to be extra aware if you have this tendency while traveling to keep it to a minimum -- and to, well it's been said -- wash very frequently so that if you do touch your face without thinking, there will be a lower probability of getting sick as a result.

I hope you have healthy, happy, illness free trips!

I'm going to hold my tongue on the topic of Airborn, but post this link to the Carnival board where I posted info on the topic of Norovirus, since it is a frequent topic here and a major concern for many. These are *facts*.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=558331

Why not give us your comment about airborn? There are people like me who are very much on the fence as to whether there is a bit of efficy to the product. I am leaning toward a waste of money so am interested in all well thought out opinions.

I sometimes pop a few cold eze into our mouths while flying hoping the zinc may help us prevent catching colds on the plane. I have no clue if it works or not. I'm not sure the medical community can agree so how could I know?!@!#$#?

I too would like to read your opinion about the efficacy of Airborn. Your link did not address that topic. Please don't hold your tongue...those of us who have not used the product and are considering it would like to hear both the pro's and con's...so speak up!!

Also, those of you in Canada who say that there is a Canadian equivelent, could you please tell me the brand name? The pharmasist at London Drugs could not find one.

Thanks

Sundagger has put me into "search mode" re: Airborne. I put in "effectiveness of Airborne" and did a search and discovered a really interesting article in Wikkipedia. Looks like it may not be all it is "cut out to be", as well as having unhealthy amts of some ingredients such as Vitamin C. Please read the lengthy study. gg

My sister swears by it, but my husband, who is a health care provider, would never bother taking it. If that helps.

He relies on handwashing, handwashing, handwashing, hand sanitizer, not touching your face and staying hydrated and well-rested. I posted about this at length above.

I don't know about Airborne in particular, but in general, it's a good idea to be sure you know what the ingredients are in any over the counter or herbal remedy, and to be sure that it isn't counterindicated for someone with your health history and/or doesn't interact with your prescription medications.

My sister was trying to get my Dad to take some health food store supplement to improve memory or something, and it turns out when my husband read the ingredients that it has an ingredient that raises blood pressure (and Dad has high blood pressure and is on meds for that to begin with). NOT good. Just because it's herbal doesn't mean it doesn't have medical effects -- in fact many prescription drugs have plant-based origins.

First, I make my decisions based on the scientific principle - basically that a theory (in this case a product) has to be shown effective in a reproducible study. Most "health supplements" don't meet that criteria. Airborne is a combination of vitamins (shown to be necessary for maintaining health) and herbs (most studies show that they are ineffective and some demonstrate that some herbs are detrimental to health).

As a "dietary supplement", Airborne does not need to be shown to do anything at all - there is essentially no regulation of supplements. If there were, Airborne would be shown to be hazardous to your health for at least a couple of ingredients. Vitamin A in the recommended dosage is toxic to your liver - the results may not be shown in a short period, but prolonged use, particularly for those people who believe that if a little Airborne is good for you, a lot is better, may have liver damage.

Airborne did have a "clinical trial" once upon a time. They have removed it from their website once it was shown to be absolutely ludicrous. There are no studies showing Airborne to be effective.

There is an article in Scientific American about Airborne:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=9389C0F4-E7F2-99DF-3BE657CAD1649375

Another article is in WebMD:

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/how-to-short-circuit-cold----maybe

It does quote a naturopathic "doctor" as saying Airborne might be effective. If you believe in naturopathy, you wouldn't believe anything I say anyway, so take that into consideration.

Finally, (although there are many, many articles about Airborne), the Wikipedia does give some history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_(dietary_supplement)

I personally take a multivitamin daily, stay hydrated, wash frequently, and to whatever extent is feasible I avoid persons who are sneezing and coughing.

A big vote for Airborne products here, too.They now have individual packets that are easily poured into a water bottle. We also use a great homeopathic product called Oscillococcinum from the French company, Boiron. We take 1 vial of it at the beginning of every flight segment. It works to reduce symptoms if you ever do find yourself "coming down" with something. It's available at natural food stores and some drug stores.

On our last cruise, we brought antibacterial wipes with us and wiped down everything in our stateroom. It made us feel better mentally AND we stayed healthy!

I too would like to read your opinion about the efficacy of Airborn. Your link did not address that topic. Please don't hold your tongue...those of us who have not used the product and are considering it would like to hear both the pro's and con's...so speak up!!

Also, those of you in Canada who say that there is a Canadian equivelent, could you please tell me the brand name? The pharmasist at London Drugs could not find one.

Thanks

Sorry Maclean Girl, I thought I'd bought one at London Drugs, but I've second guessed myself. Now I just use the Jet Lag pills (which I know are at London Drugs because I bought them there a few weeks ago) and Vit C. This is a link to the Jet Lag pills site: http://www.nojetlag.com/index.htm Their website also has lots of tips for fighting Jet Lap and surviving a long flight. The same company makes a motion sickness pill that is good for rough seas.

The "airbourn" thing I took was probably from Kripps (here in Vancouver, http://www.krippspharmacy.com/) where they make their own suplements. I phoned and asked them what they suggest and they said to do: 14 drops 4 times/day of Potassium Iodide (SSKI). I know that's not what I tried last time, but maybe your pharm knows about it as an alternative in Canada.

I used to live in Calgary and also suggest asking at a natural food store or pharm in your area (the one I'm thinking of is downtown on 10 Ave SW -- it was there when I lived there 10 yrs ago).

Those little Purell hand sanitizers are available at London Drugs, Shoppers, et al. But the ones from Bath & Body Works in the US are the best.

Sorry Maclean Girl, I thought I'd bought one at London Drugs, but I've second guessed myself. Now I just use the Jet Lag pills (which I know are at London Drugs because I bought them there a few weeks ago) and Vit C. This is a link to the Jet Lag pills site: http://www.nojetlag.com/index.htm Their website also has lots of tips for fighting Jet Lap and surviving a long flight. The same company makes a motion sickness pill that is good for rough seas.

The "airbourn" thing I took was probably from Kripps (here in Vancouver, http://www.krippspharmacy.com/) where they make their own suplements. I phoned and asked them what they suggest and they said to do: 14 drops 4 times/day of Potassium Iodide (SSKI). I know that's not what I tried last time, but maybe your pharm knows about it as an alternative in Canada.

I used to live in Calgary and also suggest asking at a natural food store or pharm in your area (the one I'm thinking of is downtown on 10 Ave SW -- it was there when I lived there 10 yrs ago).

Those little Purell hand sanitizers are available at London Drugs, Shoppers, et al. But the ones from Bath & Body Works in the US are the best.

SSKI drops can have serious side effects - read this before using:

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/sski-drops.html

Thank you for the infor re: Airborne. I think I'll pass on it.

I'll stick with hydration, adequate rest and hand washing..... all good common sense things that could never be harmful.

I just read an article about Celadrin (Inflame Away) that says it's effective for osteoarthritis. It's OTC and comes in soft gels and cream. Is anyone familiar with it or used it with success? If it's more effective than glucosamine-chondroitin as it says, it would improve my mobility on ship and in ports, especially the ports in Europe which are frequently cooblestone streets and hilly.

Thanks in advance,

GN

I just read an article about Celadrin (Inflame Away) that says it's effective for osteoarthritis. It's OTC and comes in soft gels and cream. Is anyone familiar with it or used it with success? If it's more effective than glucosamine-chondroitin as it says, it would improve my mobility on ship and in ports, especially the ports in Europe which are frequently cooblestone streets and hilly.

Thanks in advance,

GN

Thanks for the suggestion. It has been tested in a properly designed study, which was published in a peer-reviewed journal. It is supposed to be more effective than what I'm taking now. I'm going to give it a try. When it comes to OA, people react to different medications differently, but this one sounds worthwhile.

Once again - Wash, wash, WASH! Please don't sneeze into your hands, everything you touch until you wash them will be contaminated. Either rsneeze into your shoulder or (as mentioned earlier) the inside of your elbow. Neither of these areas is prone to touch anything that others will also be touching. ;)

As to Airborne, I have nothing against schoolteachers; my mother was one, as were almost all of her friends as I was a child. However, I can NOT imagine ingesting any 'supplement' just because it was "developed by a schoolteacher". Even though it has been highly recommended by a number of members here, I've never even considered taking it just because of the "developed by a schoolteacher".

Sundagger is absolutely right about "dietary supplements". After reading about some of the ingredients, I'm even more convinced Airborne isn't anything I want in my body. I'm not a R.D. but Nutrition was a required course for my degree. It has been many years, but some has stuck with me. Any water-soluble vitamin (i.e. Vitamin C) that you take more than needed is just passed through the body unused (money down the toilet :rolleyes: ). Any fat-soluble vitamin (i.e. Vitamin A) can do REAL damage if taken in excess, as it WILL be stored in your body and keep accumulating. Early man used all parts of an animal, nothing went wasted. The early arctic explorers quickly learned not to eat polar bear livers. Just 1 serving has enough Vitamin A to be fatal. If anyone wants/needs nutritional information, please see a R.D. (Registered Dietitian) not a 'nutritionist' (in most states anyone can call themselves a nutritionist) - nor a schoolteacher.

Thank you for the infor re: Airborne. I think I'll pass on it.

I'll stick with hydration, adequate rest and hand washing..... all good common sense things that could never be harmful.

It's the "adequate rest" that is so hard to arrange before traveling - for me anyway.;) I just retired last week, so I *may* be able to avoid exhaustion before a voyage hereafter.

Sundagger,

I'm retired from a University school of Nursing and taught research so I'm very interested in your sources. Please share the peer-reviewed journal name as I'd like to read the study.

Thanks for the information. I'd never heard of Celadin before I saw the article last Sunday.

GN

Sundagger,

I'm retired from a University school of Nursing and taught research so I'm very interested in your sources. Please share the peer-reviewed journal name as I'd like to read the study.

Thanks for the information. I'd never heard of Celadin before I saw the article last Sunday.

GN

It was published in the Journal of Rheumatology (2004). Here are some confirming studies:

http://www.celadrin.com/home.php?pg=news

Although this idea does not come to you from a school-teacher, I try to stay healthy on cruises by partaking in a little exercise each day. I always vow on cruises to never use the elevators (except for trying out the glass elevator once or twice - for the view of course). Inevitably I do occasionally cheat and use the elevator but I end up using the stairs about 95% of the time. Nothing like a little daily exercise to boost the immune system and help limit the number of pounds I tack on while indulging in all the great food and drink.

Thanks GN for the information about InflameAway/ Celedrin. It looks very promising and I am going to look for it at Costco as was suggested by Sundagger's link. My osteoarthiritis is getting quite bad and I am concerned about the amount of walking on our upcoming tour of the Mediterranean. So anything that might help will be wonderful.

I have also been taking the Glucosomine but can't say I have found it made a huge difference to me. So here is hoping that Celedrin might do better.

By the way, GN, I was hoping to contact you to ask you something about the Rotterdam. Do you know how late we could stay on board on the final day of our cruise? We are doing a private tour of Athens and have asked to be picked up at 10 am...hope that is not too late for HAL?

Thanks also to everyone for the differing opinions about Airborn. Lots to think about there.

Hi Maclean girl,

It depends on how long it takes the port authorities to clear the ship. Then there are those folks who haven't settled their accounts and there's the endless paging them to the front desk. In the US the immigration people always expect breakfast on board, I have a feeling it is true in Europe too. We got off the Rotterdam at 8:30 in Rotterdam but we were hustled off due to the Oosterdam christening in 2003

People with early flights will be off-boarded first, also people with HAL transfers. In my experience, 9:30-10am is reasonable for people with no immediate plans. On Westerdam in Seattle coming from Alaska we had no immediate plans and indicated it on the survey sent around. We were also in a suite (don't know if it makes any difference tho) but we were on our way off at 9:15.

By the time you collect your luggage and go through customs 10am is a safe bet.

GN

Archived