Hints for staying healthy while travelling?

Maclean girl

Airborne either works, or has a really powerful placebo effect!:D Ditto vitamin C.

If it works because of its intrinsic value or because of a placebo effect dosen't really matter -- a placebo effect is a real effect. If you think it does you good, it does. (It's been too many years since I've been a college sophomore to go into the really cool existential, synergsitic, holistic oneness of the whole thing, like far out .... ;) ) But, a placebo effect is a real effect. Go for it!

...but the cynical old man realist in me/that I have become also says to wash your hands, often. Anticoagulants (aspirin and others) have been shown to help prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which basically means a clot forming in veins in your legs on really long flights that could migrate and cause problems, like a stroke. Unlikely, but possible. Keep flexing your legs and get up when you can to keep the blood moving, but anticoagulants work and also help.

This thread is loaded with great advice to help us avoid infection on cruises. Be very careful before considering info from Wikipedia as gospel. Anyone can post on Wikipedia and although they may be well intentioned, they may also be misinformed.

Washing hands judiciously is the very best way to avoid bacterial and viral infections. In addition, being rested will enable your immune system to work most efficiently. The various products mentioned tend to be loaded with vitamin C, A and zinc. Excess vitamin C can cause several side effects similar to the beginning of an infection, so following dosage instructions is essential. Excess of any vitamin or mineral can ruin your vacation as easily as an infection. [Of course, would the people who ignore dosages be reading on CC??:) ]

Have a wonderful time and wash frequently!

Just wanted to add....re the washing hands part....don't just think "Ahh! I've washed my hands before dinner; I'm safe!" Did you touch the stair rail on your way to dinner? Push an elevator button? Shake hands with your dinner mates? You see what I mean? At a buffet, did you use tongs? Have the antibacterial wipes/gel with you and use it before you eat anything!

BTW, how does sneezing into your armpit work when you are in formal attire?

Gonzo,

That's what the cummerbund (aka crumb-catcher) is for. :rolleyes: In a pinch, don't use your armpit, use your neighbor's! (just kidding, of course :D)

Dave

Archived