First time cruiser with port questions about Costa Maya

Weebsie

Hi!

I was wondering if some kind soul would answer a few questions for me :D

How does the port area work? I have looked through lots of pictures and I see that there looks to be a pool area, a bar and various lounge chairs. Is there a fee to use this pool and do you need to rent the chairs?

As a first time cruiser, I am very nervous to venture out, but the more I read, the more inclined I am to step out onto other areas of the island.

Do the bars/restaurants such as cat's meow take credit cards, or is this all a cash only situation?

Is there anything I should not miss?

Thank you so much for your time!

DH and I just returned from our cruise on the Valor two weeks ago. Although we didn't stay in the pier area, my in-laws did and filled us in. They loved it. There is no fee in the pool area (except for any food and drink you wish to purchase).

We opted to catch a cab to Mahahual, the beachside town just a few miles down the road. This is a quaint, fun-filled little town that will get you away from the rather crowded pool area at the pier. I know when we returned to the dock to head back to the ship an hour early, we observed the pool area (water and all) packed wall to wall with people. This isn't my kind of scene, but to each their own.

Mahahaul has several bars, restuarants and shops along a sand pedestrian walkway - all are very friendly. Cat's Meow and places take cash - and it is a good idea to carry some small bills on you as well to cover tips and cab ride. Food is excellent and good prices on drinks. Each of these little places (El Faro, Cat's Meow, etc..) have table waterside which allow you to cool off in the water if you so desire.

I know you will enjoy this port regardless of what you do - it is just a gem! Personally I think it would be a shame to visit somewhere new and never get outside of the port, but should you decide to stay at the pier - enjoy!

I know you will enjoy this port regardless of what you do - it is just a gem! Personally I think it would be a shame to visit somewhere new and never get outside of the port, but should you decide to stay at the pier - enjoy!

Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer all my questions!

I'm feeling more and more confident about leaving the port area. Mahahaul sounds great, and I may give it a whirl!

Again, many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from my Carnival Cruise to Costa Maya and I must say I really enjoyed the Cat's Meow downtown...I met the owner and she and her staff treated us like royality. My group enjoyed snorkling, eating coconut shrimp, and just relaxing in the water. At one time I was the only one in the beautiful water and when I saw my friends under the palm trees it looked just like a Corona commerical. We had our own beach chairs by the beach and a table with chairs under a tent. I can't wait to go back.

Lou Anne

Have been twice. Did teh port and Mahahual. In March,we opted to catch the bus to and a cab back from Mahahual. It is perfectly safe. You could even walk it.

I am very careful. I would not not suggest going it alone in say Belize. Although I have, I would not do it again.

We spent the day at Tapas. It is further down the beach. It was great. Chairs in the water, food and beer and restrooms. All day for $30.00. I would use cash. I never feel comfortable using credit cards at unknown businesses in other countries and you may eperience extra bank charges.

My family just returned from Costa Maya as a part of our cruise on Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas.

We had no plans in Costa Maya and ended up stumbling across golf carts for rent. We had a blast driving around in one of those things. We toured up and down the main street of Mauhual (or however you spell it...) Everyone was as friendly as could be and the beaches were beautiful.

Golf carts were available for rent out where the taxis were picking people up... We paid about $30 for 2 hours which was more than plenty of time.

kc

There is a fairly nice beach which you can view from the ship; and, it is free. Simply walk a bit, find the hole in the fence and walk to the beach.

The beach has chairs for rent, or sometimes free; and, there is beer for sale.

Have fun.

There is a fairly nice beach which you can view from the ship; and, it is free. Simply walk a bit, find the hole in the fence and walk to the beach.

The beach has chairs for rent, or sometimes free; and, there is beer for sale.

Have fun.

This is my fav. We were there last March and it is pretty nice. You can lounge and watch the people walk down the pier. There you are in plain site and noone knows how you got there.

If you go to Chac chi you need to email the resort so they can man the resturant for you. They don't keep help there all of the time so if you want to spend the day you either take your own stuff or contact the owner. This is a very laid back place.

Check the thread for Chac chi and join the hole-in-the-fence gang.

Archived