Coral Breeze - Shark/Ray Excursion Review

float'n fanatics

One word comes to mind.... AMAZING!

We had a fabulous time! A HUGE thank you to Heni, Ash, Mark, Justin and James for making our day in Belize so wonderful!

There were 9 of us from our roll call that went on this excursion, and we ALL loved it.

We met at The Wet Lizard, they took our lunch order, and then we boarded the boat and headed for Caye Caulker. They had a cooler full of water for us which we needed, because it was SO hot. Heni provided us with a run down of what to expect. We stopped in Caye Caulker prior to the snorkel to pick up our guide, Ash, drop off our lunch order, and pick up some snorkel fins. Caye Caulker is wonderful. A very unspoiled, tropical island.

We rode out to the coral reef, geared up and jumped in the water. The water was so clear and the perfect temperature. We snorkeled for a good 90 minutes and saw so many gorgeous fish and coral. My husband and I were in front with the guide and even saw a nurse shark lazily lying on the ocean floor. We also saw a couple of Barracuda.

We boarded the boat and headed 5 minutes away to the shark/stingray area. Mark rang the dinner bell (revving the engines), and we were suddenly sorrounded by about 10 or 12 stingray. The were so gentle, and their skin felt smooth. The guides put us at ease, and I don't think many of us felt any fear at all. A short time later, a couple shark arrived, and I was surprisingly unafraid. I got some good pictures with our underwater camera (which I had forgoteen to take off the boat for the snorkel around the coral). I never felt threatened by the shark, not even a little bit.

After what seemed like forever, we boarded the boat and headed back to Caye Caulker. We had a delicious lunch at a little Cantina on the island, then were allowed to stroll around a bit before boarding the boat to return to the tender.

We had a little hiccup in the trip, whereby we lost 1 of the 2 engines the boat had. We dropped from going about 40mph to about 25mph. The crew assured us we would get back to the tender in time, and they called for a backup boat to come and get us. Sure enough, we made it back in time for the tender.

As you can surmise by my review, we HIGHLY recommend this excursion!

Check back for pictures. We had a disposable underwater camera, and will be picking up a disk tonight. I will post the pics on webshots and will put a link in my signature.

DH and I were on this excursion two weeks ago with Heni, Ash & Mark and had a wonderful time. It was peaceful, relaxing, entertaining and a great way to see Belize away from the cruise ship crowds. We too spent our time snorkling the reef and seeing a ton of sea critters - the best snorkling we've ever done. The nurse sharks hung around the boat even as folks entered the water and kept a slight distance but were very non-threatening. This was a perfect day in paradise. I highly recommend Coral Breeze.

• 3 weeks later...

My DW and I took this same excursion this past November and also had a terrific time. I also greatly enjoyed seeing the coral, tropical fish and underwater plant life, the encounter with the sting rays and a nurse shark. I have done several rather adventurous things in my life, but at the end of the day there I had this feeling that is very difficult to put into words. Finally, we were able to have seen in person what we had only previously seen in pictures or in someone's movie presentation. It was a day that we will never forget, fortunately we took photos of this experience that will help us to relive the experience. There are samples of them in the smugmug link below my signature. Thank you Heni & Mario for a most wonderful and memorable day in Belize.

Randy

Nice pictures!!! What type of camera did you use? My son used a disposable last year and the pictures did not turn out very well. We need to get an underwater camera, so I would like to know what you used. We are really excited about going on this excursion, glad to hear it was fantastic!

Nice pictures!!! What type of camera did you use? My son used a disposable last year and the pictures did not turn out very well. We need to get an underwater camera, so I would like to know what you used. We are really excited about going on this excursion, glad to hear it was fantastic!

This was my very first time to use an underwater camera. I wrestled with the decision to buy a good camera then a good housing and hope it all worked out. Then, after getting some advise from some others, I went to a local drug store and bought an underwater disposable camera, 27 exposure. I learned that when winding the camera film advancing button that it will stop automatically and will not move too far until you take the picture, then it is ready to advance again. I was extremely pleased with the results, especially since this was my first attempt to use this type of camera.

I have done the same thing again since then and had the same acceptable results with the next disposable camera. I hope that it doesn't mean that I have just been lucky.:rolleyes: Hope that this is some help to you.

Randy

We've taken this Coral Breeze trip twice and have thoroughly enjoyed it each time. We are going to Belize in February08 with others that have never been and are considering this excursion again.

Everyone is always nice -from the time of initial contact to the end of the excursion. I would recommend it.

My family went snorkeling, well what they call snorkeling at Typhoon Lagoon in Disney 2 years ago. Of course the water was cold. Some of the family had difficulty doing it. Will the staff help those that have trouble or feel uncomfortable?

My family went snorkeling, well what they call snorkeling at Typhoon Lagoon in Disney 2 years ago. Of course the water was cold. Some of the family had difficulty doing it. Will the staff help those that have trouble or feel uncomfortable?

I found the tour operators to be very knowledgeable and helpful on our excursion. Heni & Ash actually snorkle with you around the reef and at Shark Ray alley. I am a very strong swimmer but when you are at the reef (incredible experience - by far the best snorkling I've ever done..) I would suggest taking their advice and wearing a life vest. At first I didn't think I would need one but it came in handy as I grew a little tired fighting the tow back to the ship. The guides were very good about keeping track of everyone and assisting them if needed.

Any other questions?

My DW and I bought some snorkel gear but had just used it in a swimming pool in order to get used to it and to build some confidence. We advised Heni & Mario of this when we first arrived there. They gave everyone some instruction on how to put on the equipment then on how to use it properly. They requested that everyone use the flotation vests that they furnish (be sure to do this). They get into the water with you and stay very close to those with no previous experience. BTW, they stated that the water in Belize stays about 80 & 85 degrees all year long. The water is very clear and soon you will find yourself looking down at the bottom at the coral, the aquatic plants and the fish. For us this was the first time that we have ever snorkeled in the "wild" and we do not normally feel comfortable in water, especially "over your head deep" water. Believe me, just forget all of the apprehension and worry, these folks will take care of you and you will be sooooooooo glad that you went ahead and booked this excursion and had such an adventure. Take pictures, more than one camera would be a good idea as some people will have a better look at something than somebody else will.

Remember that there are two places that they will take you to, the first one is for snorkeling over the reef, then it is back into the boat and they take you a short distance to a shallow area, about 3-4 feet deep (no swim fins needed here). This is where you will be standing in the water and the Rays and Sharks start to come around. Be sure to save some camera exposures for this area, it is absolutely a completely different experience from anything that I have ever done, so be sure to get some great close up pictures.

I am looking foreword to reading of your experience when you get back after your undersea adventure.

Randy

Your experience sounded great! I plan to check out the disposable cameras at walmart or my friend bought a water proof camera on board ship last summer. It takes 35mm film. She has not developed the film yet, so I am not sure how the pics turn out. She said I could borrow the camera. It was not real expensive. Any thoughts?

Your experience sounded great! I plan to check out the disposable cameras at walmart or my friend bought a water proof camera on board ship last summer. It takes 35mm film. She has not developed the film yet, so I am not sure how the pics turn out. She said I could borrow the camera. It was not real expensive. Any thoughts?

It is possible that this was a 35mm also, but I am not sure. I must say that I have passed along about all that I know about those things. When finished with the camera I simply went back to the store that I purchased it from, turned it in and they developed the film, I went back 1 hour later and picked it up. I hope it works out that well for you.

Randy

The disposable cameras you buy (like Kodak & Fuji) have 35mm 800 speed film in them. The best advice for taking pictures when snorkeling is to take pictures when the sun is out. And try to be as close as possible to the subject. If a cloud is shadowing, wait until the sun comes out again if you can. You'll get more color. And...realize that if you are too far away (like if the water is deep) the colors you see will not come out on your photos - your pics will be bluish.

Just from years of experience trying to capture the beautiful underwater world of coral and fish......and not being pleased with the pictures I took. I am currently considering an underwater camera with flash for our next trip.

Kathy

The disposable cameras you buy (like Kodak & Fuji) have 35mm 800 speed film in them. The best advice for taking pictures when snorkeling is to take pictures when the sun is out. And try to be as close as possible to the subject. If a cloud is shadowing, wait until the sun comes out again if you can. You'll get more color. And...realize that if you are too far away (like if the water is deep) the colors you see will not come out on your photos - your pics will be bluish.

Just from years of experience trying to capture the beautiful underwater world of coral and fish......and not being pleased with the pictures I took. I am currently considering an underwater camera with flash for our next trip.

Kathy

Kathy,

Thanks for the info, I wish that I had known of those tips before we went snorkeling the first time. At least it does explain a few things, such as the "blueish" color at times, etc. Oh well, I can try to do better the next time, and I know there will be a next time, that is what helps to keep us all going isn't it?

Question, is there any possibility that a camera with a flash option could frighten away the fish, rays, sharks etc.? If I thought that might happen I would probably just take my chances with the natural lighting and use the same type of camera again. Thanks.

Randy

Hi Randy!

I wrote you a really long post on photography, but as usual I took too long to compose it and CC logged me off--all of what I wrote was lost! I have begun a new thread above to help--I hope--with some of the questions you asked, as of course we are way "off topic" in this thread.

But rest assured, your posting was the inspiration for my thread: and the answers so far given in this thread seem good to me.

Doug (driftwood)

Archived