Cabin upgrade

gidders

We sail on 27 May to Alaska from Vancouver on NCL Sun. I wish to upgrade to a balcony cabin and was wondering if I can do it when we arrive in Vancouver or when we embark. Comparing prices with the American site for NCL and what our travel agent here in Scotland is quoting I can save money if it is possible to upgrade when we arrive . Any assistance much appreciated. Counting the days until we fly out of Glasgow on Wed 23rd. Ian & Iris

We sail on 27 May to Alaska from Vancouver on NCL Sun. I wish to upgrade to a balcony cabin and was wondering if I can do it when we arrive in Vancouver or when we embark. Comparing prices with the American site for NCL and what our travel agent here in Scotland is quoting I can save money if it is possible to upgrade when we arrive . Any assistance much appreciated. Counting the days until we fly out of Glasgow on Wed 23rd. Ian & Iris

I can't answer your question but do try this. If there are cabins available cruise lines often do up-sells for existing passengers to a higher category cabin. These up-sells can be quite reasonable, as otherwise they'll probably end up either having the cabin empty or do a free upgrade to someone. Have your TA contact your cruise line immediately and ask if there are in up-sells available for balcony cabins and, if so, the price. If you don't like the price, it often pays to make a counter offer for what you think fair or would like to pay. They may or may not accept it, but they also may decide that's it's better to get a few extra dollars rather than nothing.

With the pound really trashing the dollar, you should be having a relatively inexpensive vacation. Enjoy the cruise. We're on the 25 May HAL Amsterdam sailing and are looking forward to it.

Good to hear from you. I spoke to our TA in Scotland and they were looking for £280 (US560$) to upgrade to a balcony cabin. They would not negotiate so will wait until we arrive in Vancouver this Wed from Glasgow and will make enquiries when 'on the ground'.

Looking forward greatly to the cruise and our time in Victoria prior to the cruise and the Vancouver area on our return - the weather this week seems by all accounts seems to have been good .

I have treated myself today to a Sigma 170-500mm lens for my Nikon DSLR in anticipation of taking many photographs on what will be our first cruise. Not long now until we set off.

Ian & Iris

with waiting until you get here is the Balconies may all be sold out....If you want a balcony I would pay the extra that way you dont have to wonder or worry if youll have one...Youre comming such a long way it would be a shame not to get the cabin you wanted..

Wow thats some lense you treated yourself to!

I agree with Kelly, if you REALLY REALLY want the balcony then pay the extra now. If you aren't too bothered whether you get a blacony then wait until you arrive, just make sure you embark VERY early to increase your chances of getting a blacony.

Ian and Iris, if you decide not to take NCL's offer and you're on good terms with your travel agent, have him or her check every day about a reasonably priced upsell. As it gets closer to sailing time NCL might be more willing to wheel and deal.

Archived