conquest vs mariner?

jdoo

Never cruised before-family of four with boys 12 and 15. Considering Conquest out of Galveston vs. RCI Mariner out of Pt. Canaveral, price about same, will drive to either

conquest-western carribean, can stay with sister-in-law night before who will drive us to port itself, no hotel cost or parking fees, can save another couple hundred because quad room available (but are two rooms worth extra $?)

mariner-eastern carribean (private island, st thomas, st marteen), have to stay in hotel, a couple hour longer drive, but ship gets better reviews from teens

rhapsody goes out of galveston, but older boat and more than conqest

our time frame does not allow the western carribean on mariner

so, which one? conquest and western carribean or mariner and eastern ? main goal-giving kids a fabulous vacation

having said all that, hubby 1st choice would be 5 nights on Ecstasy out of galveston, and spend much less money, but I want more of a wow! experience for kids ( but cost of new boats RCI Liberty or Freedom too WOW! for our pocketbooks) there's also Enchantment, 5 nights, a bit more than Ecstacy, but way better reviews

Help, anyone?

two rooms is it

RCI fans say mariner-you say conquest

Why? (forgive if not using correct etiquette-never used message board before and not quite sure what I'm doing!)

I have not been on Mariner nor have kids. I have been on the Conquest though and like it's ports. Grand Cayman is a blast and I would recommend the Stingray sandbar tour. Takes you to a place called Hell (a rock formation that is OK), a protected Green Turtle Farm, and then out to the sandbar to swim, hold, and kiss the Stingrays. Great fun time.

Cozumel and Montego Bay are fun as well. Cozumel is my favoriate port anyway for shopping, eating. Montego Bay is beautiful just need to watch out for the locals ofering drugs and the pushy shop owners. Usuallya firm NO will be enough though.

The ship itself is beautifyl and clean. Friendly staff and lot's to do for all.

Either way you will be on a cruise and have fun.

Although I enjoy both cruise lines, you can't really compare these 2 ships. For what you are looking for, I think Mariner would be your best bet. Voyager/Freedom class ships are incredible. So much to do. I think I prefer the Eastern Caribbean post for me. But it depends on what you are looking for in ports. Either way, they are both great cruise lines, whichever you choose, you won't have a lack of things to do. But Mariner is just in a class of its own.

thanks for the input

will probably book mariner, even though I think I'd prefer the western ports, but hey, will have the western itin to look forward to another year, right?

thanks for the input

will probably book mariner, even though I think I'd prefer the western ports, but hey, will have the western itin to look forward to another year, right?

:D Oh I see don't take my advice huh... Just kidding.... :p

Seriously though, anyway you go you will have a blast. You will be on a cruise with your family and have a great time and lots of good memories.

ships came out same price for same room-had to go with the rock wall

way more RC fans responded with gushing recommendations when I posted on RC site than this post, so...

thanks for the help,though, and yes, we will have a great time

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just ask my question on this one. I've cruised RCCL, and will be going on the Carnival Conquest in August. I'm worried that I'll be disappointed, and this cruise is costing us a ton of money! (taking the kiddos). Can anyone make me feel better about this?

Even my co-workers are telling me how Carnival is the "cheap end of cruising". Granted, most of them probably haven't been on Carnival.

I've been on almost every class of every ship on both lines at one time or another. (For work purposes) Until Carnival changes their interior decor from the baby's barf all over the walls, I will not book them.

You said you want Wow. You will definatley get that on Mariner. On Conquest, you may say "wow," but it'll have a different meaning.

Definitely the Mariner, especially with teens. They are amazing vessels. And you get to spend the day at Labadee. That is a definite plus. One of the most beautiful spots I've seen in 19 cruises.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just ask my question on this one. I've cruised RCCL, and will be going on the Carnival Conquest in August. I'm worried that I'll be disappointed, and this cruise is costing us a ton of money! (taking the kiddos). Can anyone make me feel better about this?

Not sure how old your kids are, but my kids had a great time on Conquest - and the Carnival cruises they've taken since then. Oldest son does Club O2 now, and we hardly ever see him. Younger sons do Camp Carnival and enjoy it. I think their favorite shore excursion among any of our cruises was Paradise Beach in Cozumel when we sailed Conquest.

Archived