Non-excursion things to do in Colon?

TallyRockChick

We will be travelling to Colon on the Carnival Miracle in December and wanted to take it easy in Colon because we are going to be doing excursions in both Costa Rica and Belize after that. Does anyone have any recommendations of things to do in Colon that dont involve going on an excursion? Shopping? Beaches? Short cab rides to sightseeing? Anything of that nature would be great. Also, places to stay away from would be helpful as well. :rolleyes:

We will be travelling to Colon on the Carnival Miracle in December and wanted to take it easy in Colon because we are going to be doing excursions in both Costa Rica and Belize after that. Does anyone have any recommendations of things to do in Colon that dont involve going on an excursion? Shopping? Beaches? Short cab rides to sightseeing? Anything of that nature would be great. Also, places to stay away from would be helpful as well. :rolleyes:

There really is not anything to do in Colon that would not involve some sort of tours. There is not much sightseeing activity in Colon, most sightseeing would be done on tours to the locks and to the Embera Indian village. Shopping, unless you were looking for something specific, I believe you would have enough available at the facility where the ship docks. There are no beaches nearby in Colon, the nearest beaches in the area a probably more than an hour away.

The big attraction in Panama is the canal. If you do not want to take in the canal and your tour schedule at other stops is busy, you may just want to shop at the pier area and enjoy the ship that day.

If you do go to Colon by yourselves, watch the business even in the daylight. You gotta love a place that makes Tijauna look like Beverly Hills. You can get a cab at the Panama Canal Yacht Club(Not what you would think) and they will drive you around. My advice, go with a group or just stay on the ship.

Thanks so much for the advice. Any recommendations of cool tours to take that are less expensive?

Brandy - We did an excursion in February with My Friend Mario - a tour of the Gatun Locks and beach time. For us (we were in a large group), it was $38 per person. I know the price is somewhat more if the group is smaller. Mario's website is myfriendmario.com.

I thought that I read some where that there is a big duty free store in Colon where you get the best deal of duty free liquor. Is this true?

Robb

There are some places where you can buy "duty free" liquor at the Cristobal piers, whether it really is duty free, who knows. Are you possibly thinking of Colon Free Zone? The Free Zone generally caters to business/wholesale etc.

We were there on Zenith in February...Colon is a pretty scary, dirty port town, but the "safe zone" at the dock is OK, with quite a few shops. The Duty Free area, where lots of locals shop is about a mile to the left, down the main beach road. I would not try to walk it, and, yes it has lots of wholesale stuff, mostly appliances, etc. I don't think it's worth the trip.

We opted for a cross-country cab/guide trip to Panama City, on the Pacific side. This was a highlight of our entire trip, and we went out past the old US Fort (now a fab convention center), and past the National Geographic Society's Station on a pennsula, for a great view of downtown. If you do this, spend lots of time in the Casco Viejo, or "old city" and view the Presidential Palace, and this entire area with cathedrals, parks, and wonderful places to shop and eat. We were so impressed that we've begun looking at places to live in that area!

It takes a good hour of hard driving to get there, and the city, itself, reminds one of Mexico City in terms of pace and traffic. Not a place to rent a car on your own and try to drive and navigate. We think we made the right choice, rather that looking at more ships in the "locks" of the Canal.

Our friends did take the train tour of the Canal, and raved about it, so I would also suggest this alternative to a boring visit to the Gatun Locks!

IMHO, period. :D

• 2 weeks later...

You do NOT want to take a cab and travel around Colon with a small group. You need to take a tour if you are going to see anything. It is not a safe place.

My friend is from Panama and she suggested leaving all jewelry and valuables on the ship and to not walk around past the pier and to only take large tours.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived