Cancun highlights/shopping excursion

Has anyone taken this excursion in Cozumel? Can you pls give me some details...how long was the bus ride to Cancun? What did you see/do on the tour? What kind of shopping was there? Is it safe to wander around in the areas where you were free to roam around? Would you recommend the tour? I read on the RCCL site that there is a 45 minute ferry ride: Was it a steady ride? Thanks for your insight!

Has anyone taken this excursion in Cozumel? Can you pls give me some details...how long was the bus ride to Cancun? What did you see/do on the tour? What kind of shopping was there? Is it safe to wander around in the areas where you were free to roam around? Would you recommend the tour? I read on the RCCL site that there is a 45 minute ferry ride: Was it a steady ride? Thanks for your insight!

We did a land vacation in the Riviera Maya a couple years ago. We flew into Cancun and rode a bus south to our resort. The ferry runs from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen, which is a 45-minute ride. I would say it will take at least an hour (perhaps even more) to get from Playa Del Carmen up to Cancun. In my opinion, I don't think it's worth all of the time that you will spending in transit. We spent a day in Cancun (shopping, aquarium) and weren't overly impressed. There is a fairly nice retail area there, but that's not what we're usually looking for when on this type of vacation. And when people take the excursions to any of the ruins, there is much more travel involved.

We had a port stop in Cozumel this past December and spent the day at Playa Maya, so we never rode the ferry over. However, shopping in Playa Del Carmen is fun (tons of little shops with hand-made items and lots of bartering). Maybe you could just ride the ferry over on your own and do some shopping there, and then pop into Carlos & Charlies!

We did a land vacation in the Riviera Maya a couple years ago. We flew into Cancun and rode a bus south to our resort. The ferry runs from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen, which is a 45-minute ride. I would say it will take at least an hour (perhaps even more) to get from Playa Del Carmen up to Cancun. In my opinion, I don't think it's worth all of the time that you will spending in transit. We spent a day in Cancun (shopping, aquarium) and weren't overly impressed. There is a fairly nice retail area there, but that's not what we're usually looking for when on this type of vacation. And when people take the excursions to any of the ruins, there is much more travel involved.

We had a port stop in Cozumel this past December and spent the day at Playa Maya, so we never rode the ferry over. However, shopping in Playa Del Carmen is fun (tons of little shops with hand-made items and lots of bartering). Maybe you could just ride the ferry over on your own and do some shopping there, and then pop into Carlos & Charlies!

Having been to Cancun over 30 times in the last 20 years, I could not agree with you more!

Skip the excursion. See Cozumel and if you do the ferry, just shop in Playa Del Carmen...you will get better values there too!

BILL

Bill, Where would I board the ferry? How far is it from the cruiseship pier (I believe we'll be at International)? Any idea how often it runs (wouldn't want to be late getting back on the ship)? Sorry to inundate you with so many questions. Thanks for your help.

Archived