Should those of African, South Asian, or East Asian descent be concerned?

Greetings,

While planning our cruise to the Baltic region and Scandinavia, my research revealed some disheartening information on the U.S. Department of State’s web site. The following is an excerpt from the Russian Federation’s Consular Information Sheet, http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html#

"This information is current as of today, Sun May 20 06:29:56 2007.

Russian Federation

CRIME: Reports of unprovoked, violent harassment against racial and ethnic minorities are increasing, including well-publicized cases in which members of minorities have been beaten and in several instances, even murdered Travelers are urged to exercise caution in areas frequented by “skinhead” groups and wherever large crowds have gathered. Americans most at risk are those of African, South Asian, or East Asian descent, or those, who because of their complexion, are perceived to be from the Caucasus region or the Middle East. These Americans are also at risk for harassment by police authorities.”

Does anyone know of any occurrences of the aforementioned in St. Petersburg? As an African-American, should I be concerned while on tour? Does anyone know if those of African, South Asian, or East Asian descent have had any problems from locals or the police authorities in St. Petersburg?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Greetings,

While planning our cruise to the Baltic region and Scandinavia, my research revealed some disheartening information on the U.S. Department of State’s web site. The following is an excerpt from the Russian Federation’s Consular Information Sheet, http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html#

"This information is current as of today, Sun May 20 06:29:56 2007.

Russian Federation

CRIME: Reports of unprovoked, violent harassment against racial and ethnic minorities are increasing, including well-publicized cases in which members of minorities have been beaten and in several instances, even murdered Travelers are urged to exercise caution in areas frequented by “skinhead” groups and wherever large crowds have gathered. Americans most at risk are those of African, South Asian, or East Asian descent, or those, who because of their complexion, are perceived to be from the Caucasus region or the Middle East. These Americans are also at risk for harassment by police authorities.”

Does anyone know of any occurrences of the aforementioned in St. Petersburg? As an African-American, should I be concerned while on tour? Does anyone know if those of African, South Asian, or East Asian descent have had any problems from locals or the police authorities in St. Petersburg?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Well, that's kind of crappy (sorry, trying to keep it G rated). I am not going to tell you what to do as you are the one that has to face this dilemma. My suggestion is that if you decide to take a tour, do it through the ship. In my opinion, this is a safer way to go. Good luck.

Dear Snackdaddy,

I have to agree with dforeigner, in terms of sticking with an organized tour of some sort, either thru the ship or one of the better know private tour operators (DenRus, Red October, and Alla tours). I can't imagine it being a major problem at the typical tourist sites (The Hermitage, Catherine's Palace, Peteroff, etc.).

While we are caucasion, we still exercise caution while touring anywhere away from home, particularly in areas that are unfamiliar to us. Black, white, or Asian, I think as tourist we are all potential targets for crime while overseas. We just try to use good common sense and avoid areas that are "off the beaten path". We were in Europe in 2003, 2006, and are going to the Baltics this summer. We have had a terrific time and fortunately no incidents of any kind.

We are taking Alla Tours this summer while in St.Petersburg. We are not comfortable going out on own , either.

Stick with an organized tour and have a great time!!

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Archived