Panic Mode

luvscruising2007

I am officially in panic mode. I've gotten great info from this site, but I am on overload. I weighed my suitcase empty and it is 17 pounds. Anyone have any advise on a good lightweight piece of luggage. We will be on an eleven day cruise tour and need alot of clothes. At least I think so. I'm going to cross pack with my husband so we can somewhat get by if luggage is lost or delayed. But I really want to keep luggage to a minimum.

Also, on a another thread they are talking about medications. I always put them in a zip loc and leave them in original bottle. They are all pills or

capsules with powder not gelcaps or liquids. Is this a problem. Help!

j

I am officially in panic mode. I've gotten great info from this site, but I am on overload. I weighed my suitcase empty and it is 17 pounds. Anyone have any advise on a good lightweight piece of luggage. We will be on an eleven day cruise tour and need alot of clothes. At least I think so. I'm going to cross pack with my husband so we can somewhat get by if luggage is lost or delayed. But I really want to keep luggage to a minimum.

Also, on a another thread they are talking about medications. I always put them in a zip loc and leave them in original bottle. They are all pills or

capsules with powder not gelcaps or liquids. Is this a problem. Help!

j

I use softside luggage - very durable and weighs less than the hardside stuff.

Taking your medications in the original bottles is great. If they are not gels or liquids, then it doesn't matter if they are in a ziploc bag or not.

We have taken 4 cruises and many other trips using our inexpensive soft side luggage. I bought something like 4 pieces for 60 dollars or so and it has held up great. The way luggage is tossed about, I am not going to spend a lot, and it has all done great.

Re: meds. A baggie with meds in original RX bottles is perfect, packed in your carry on. Also, you may want to have your doctor write a note re: your meds and any medical issues. Since my DH is insulin dep. diabetic, we have doc write a note on his letterhead re: this, as well as him being a heart patient with sternal wires from open heart surgery. Never been a problem......don't want it to be. :D gg

We have taken 4 cruises and many other trips using our inexpensive soft side luggage. I bought something like 4 pieces for 60 dollars or so and it has held up great. The way luggage is tossed about, I am not going to spend a lot, and it has all done great.

Re: meds. A baggie with meds in original RX bottles is perfect, packed in your carry on. Also, you may want to have your doctor write a note re: your meds and any medical issues. Since my DH is insulin dep. diabetic, we have doc write a note on his letterhead re: this, as well as him being a heart patient with sternal wires from open heart surgery. Never been a problem......don't want it to be. :D gg

For normal prescription meds in original bottles, no need to have a letter from the doctor. It could be different for diabetics with needles, etc.

For normal prescription meds in original bottles, no need to have a letter from the doctor. It could be different for diabetics with needles, etc.

Totally agree.......only, as I said, if you have "medical issues". Also, because my husband takes so many meds and shots, I keep an updated copy of all his meds, amt., when taken, as well as his medical history with me and one with him at all times. It is great when he has his check ups as well, to just hand the nurses or docs. a copy. It only took one emergency to know time is of the essence and that you just can not always rely on your brain thinking clearly at that time, to listing all meds. And, it is so easy to store and make changes on the pc. gg

We always buy the lightest softsided luggage that we can find. We also make certain that they are expandable.

DH takes quite a few medications everyday. We keep everything in their original bottles and put them all in a medical bag which we keep in our carryon. You do not have to take them out of your carryon whenever going through security.

We always buy the lightest softsided luggage that we can find. We also make certain that they are expandable.

DH takes quite a few medications everyday. We keep everything in their original bottles and put them all in a medical bag which we keep in our carryon. You do not have to take them out of your carryon whenever going through security.

Please tell me what type of "medical bag" you use. DH takes 17 meds a day and keeps them in a plastic container. When we fly, he just puts Saran wrap over the container, so they stay in the order he is use to, etc. Also, he marks all the RX caps, as AM or PM or AM/PM. But, he is always open to a better way. When we flew last Sept., the security guy at our initial check in, went thru everything, even carrying the insulin over to another screener to "check it out". What was that about ?? He even took some type of swab, swipped two or things down in my carry on, and passed the swab under a scanner. I am so careful how I pack, I knew that everything was approved......but he was not answering questions.....very serious and I appreciate that....but :eek: . gg

Also, on a another thread they are talking about medications. I always put them in a zip lock and leave them in original bottle. They are all pills or capsules with powder not gelcaps or liquids. Is this a problem. Help!

If they're just pills, you shouldn't have any problem. Leaving them in the original bottle is what's important--they only reason to put them in a ziplock bag is for convenience (not required by security).

Have a great trip!!

DH is an insulin-dependent diabetic and carries his insulin and needles in his carry-on bag. We've never had a problem-the prescription label is right on the box. He also takes a lot of other medications and we travel with them in the original bottles with prescription labels attached.

I went to China last month and was concerned because I have arthritis in my spine and take morphine for it. I, of course, kept it in its original bottle and didn't have a problem at all. They even took my bag with my prescriptions our of my carry on and looked at it, but that was it.

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

If you are pressed for time, you might check Marshalls, T J Maxx, Tuesday Morning or Ross. They tend to have odds and ends of luggage and rolling duffles which would be light in weight and on your pocketbook. The other thing that you could do is have the steward do laundry for you once on the ship and take half of your clothing. :( You face a tough decision or two. I will be in your shoes in a few days as we get ready to leave May 28.

Have a great trip and don't worry over this too long! :D

I don't recommend buying the super cheap set of luggage. My daughter-in-law thought that would be the way to go but the wheel fell off before she even got it checked the first time traveling. You can get decent luggage for a decent price at MArshalls, TJMaxx and many deparrtment stores like Macy's have great sales.

Thanks for all the great replies. I started making lists tonight to help reduce the amount of clothing. Amazingly that has helped the stress. It seems being organized was the answer and knowing I could get everything in under the airline limits. I'm looking at a soft sided duffle that will be lighter weight than what I have, and be easier to handle. So, I will check out the suggestions I received from you guys. Thanks, J

Has Samsonite soft-sided luggage on sale for 70 percent off this week. Run, don't walk. Plus they'll give you a scratch-off coupon at the register for an extra discount. I saved another 8 bucks.

Happy Sails!:D

My SIL bought a 4-piece set of American Tourister luggage yesterday at WalMart for $59. Sounds like a good deal - even had a rolling duffel bag.

And yes, making a list DOES help. I just finished packing this weekend for our May 30 trip.

dd's mom

I am in the same panic mode! I thought that I had allk my clothes down to a possible minimum but when I tried to lift my suitcase I knew right away it was pretty heavy. We have tow large duffle type bags with wheels that weigh at lot to begin with, but I really don't want to spend any more money on buying new luggage. We were going to try to get by on just three suitcases for the two of us plus our carryon but now I am thinking that we will have to take 4 suitcases to lessen the loads in each suitcase and have room for items we might want to buy. We are going for almost three weeks and even though I plan on doing laundry I found there is still so much that I need to pack. Packing for Alaska has been the hardest vacation I ever packed for.

Just think of the problems you would have flying in from Scotland and bringing clothes for Vancouver, Victoria and a cruise starting next Sunday when we are advised to bring layers and with a luggage allowance of only 44lbs each on the airline. Never mind we are going to enjoy our trip - fly out on Wed from Glasgow. Ian & Iris

I wouldn't buy the cheapest soft-sided luggage, and it's often fairly heavy when compared to better quality. However, you can find some great sales on good brands that are light weight. I was ecstatic that I got a Delsey Lite wheeled garment bag for less than $100, as they are normally priced around $250+. I got mine at JC Penney's, but I hear TJ Maxx and Marshall's have good deals on good luggage (I wasn't lucky enough to find them though).

You might want to invest $10 in a hand-held scale to take with you (for the trip home & luggage shopping). There is one on the Magellan's website, but I've heard others talk about using a fishing scale from Wal-Mart too (same price). You could take it with you for luggage shopping to find out whihc pieces really are lighter. After lifting many, I couldn't tell the difference, plus the scale will help keep your luggage within the right weight limits and out of those huge overage charges.

Well after much discussion with the hubby we decided to bring 4 suitcases instead of only three. I really didn't want to have to haul them around but we will have a car so most o the luggage will get locked in the trunk until we board the ship. I also have been making lists, that does help, and have been eliminating clothes, I guess if I run out of stuff to wear I will have to do laundry sooner.

One of the things we do at home, and it works out great for travel, is we get our pills packaged in daily amounts on cards. That way the perscriptions are on the cards, they are tamperproof, and marked so that we don't miss any. I also keep my insulin in a small bag with its labels so that it stays cool. And of course, none of this goes in the suitcase. All medications go in the daybag which stays with me.

Happy Sails

Archived