Celebrity Cruiser Hoping to Step Up

nu2sea

I would dearly love to cruise on Regent, having read so much about it. In the past we have cruised on Celebrity in suites so the price difference wouldn't be that great to switch to Regent. My problems are two-fold.

On Celebrity we are used to the Celebrity Suite which has a separate bedroom and living room. We tend to spend a lot of time in our cabin during sea days. Are the verandah cabins on Regent large enough to accommodate this type of cruising?

Also, my husband really enjoys the evening entertainment put on by the ships singers and dancers. Does Regent offer any evening entertainment that I can convince him he would enjoy?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Susan

I have stayed in a Celebrity Suite a number of times as well as the standard veranda cabins on Regent.

While the balcony is nice, there really is no comparison to a Celebrity Suite with its true big sofa, dining table and chairs, overstuffed chair and ottoman, separate bedroom and 2 42" plasma tvs (plus butler). Regent's bathroom is a bit nicer and bigger (but no whirlpool...and no view!)

Also, there is no comparable venue to the AquaSpa, Persian Gardens or Thalasotheraphy Pool, or Michael's Club.

On the entertainment front, Regent does not have the large shows or the variety that Celebrity has. Regent does have higher quality lectures and tours on the whole and, cruise dependent, may bring local talent on board - which Celebrity does not do. Regent does have some OK evening entertainment, but usually it is not to my liking. Some, however, find a particular comedian a favorite and I happen to enjoy a couple of the solo artists that play in the lounges.

There are, however, benefits to Regent such as smaller ships, overall higher quality food and it is liquor inclusive. To be fair, if you dine in the Celebrity specialty restaurants and don't mind signing for drinks, you can have a very nice experience on Celebrity as well.

Regent does have some more interesting itineraries, but that is another topic.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, just ask away.

Hi Ed!

Thanks Eric, for your thorough look at the two lines! It sounds like Regent would best suit us for a port intensive cruise, where the size of the ship would be an advantage. And we wouldn't need a lot of space because we would be going ashore.

I would love to try a smaller ship so maybe I should go check out some of the European itineraries.

Thanks for your help,

Susan

Nu2Sea,

I think you've got it exactly right. I tend to cruise on Celebrity with more sea days and Regent for the more unusual and exotic itineraries.

Celebrity's new Azamara line is interesting, with some great itineraries, though it won't really be rolling until late 2007. The larger suites will be a bit pricey, though. I looked at a Royal Suite for a 14 day cruise next summer and am looking at about $21,000. May be a third option to look at since you like the Celebrity product.

And...Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We have 9 cruises on Celebrity. We were hoping to book a Royal Suite on the Fall 2008 Auckland/Hawaii. I came across the Dec. 2, 2008, Auckland/LA on Regent Mariner, Seven Seas Aft. Regent works out to less with a better itinerary! So booked that! Since we live in Californian, we are home at the end of the cruise! Celebrity may be pricing themselves too high on certain itineraries; so a loyal customer goes elsewhere.

Hi Ed!

Susan

Hi Susan,

As I guess you know, we have cruised Celebrity a lot. We have stayed in the Celebrity Suite a few times. I think Eric is probably correct, but I have only sailed on Paul Gauguin with Regent. Regent is a step up in many areas. But, not that big of a step (IMO). For example, I think the soups are better on Celebrity. The all inclusive, especially if you are a drinker, (we drink some), is a great thing. I love not being nickeled and dimed. Anyhow, I bet you will love Regent. :)

We just sailed on Regent this past March but in October we will be on Celebrity. The reason that we are sailing on Celebrity is the New England Canada cruise. We have sailed Celebrity in the past but the thought of fixed time dining and being nickle and dimed is a put off for us but we wanted to visit the ports on this cruise.

Back to Regent next April. For us there is no comparison between the two cruise lines...

After sailing on both lines, I do prever the Courtyard Complex of NCL ships! It is ultraluxury...even 10 times better then celebrity Suites, like a private Yacht, built on top of a huge cruise ship. All the Suites up there are a minimum of 2 rooms. You even have a private lap pool, brilliant private sun dech with balinese beds, served by the Courtyard Butler, steam rooms and cardio Equipment. Private restaurant! Then you go down the private elevator and enjoy the enterntainment of a big ship, with reserved seating in the theater, another 12 restaurants and many many bars and lounges to enjoy!

Archived