Can the kids stay on the ship?

We're thinking about doing a shore excursion on our trip that our young teenage sons (almost 13 and 14) would not be able to participate in. Would they be able to stay on the ship and hang out at the pools and rockwalls and whatnots for a few hours while we were gone? Neither one of them is all that interested in signing up for kiddy camp. They are good kids, so I wouldn't be worried about them causing any trouble on the ship for themselves or others. I'm just wondering if this would be allowed. I wouldn't want to confine them to their cabin while we were gone - although it would be an early morning excursion and we might be back before they woke up!

You will get a ton on yes and no on this issue. This is what I would do (IMHO), first I would sign them up for the kids zone if only for this day. This is so they can meet other teens. They are old enough to sign themselfs in and out. This is the one time that I believe walkie talkies are good (depending on where you are going. This way you can check in with them on your way there or on the way back. Have some ground rules for this day ie they must stay together, must eat together ect.

Wendy...I love the walkie talkie idea, but they won't work for this - unless they make super duper water proof ones and we rent some sort of military commercial head sets. We're trying to get a dive in while we're in Coz. I'd been hoping to figure out a way to get the kids certified before we headed out, but the stars aren't lining up. Baseball, summer school (for advanced placement stuff not failing!), camp, the whole month of July at their bio-Dad's house...etc. It's just not working! I'm still looking into the idea of getting the certified on the boat, but if I can't get in touch with the actual instructor before we go, I don't want to count on it. They are my kids after all and I won't hand them over to just anyone.

We're thinking about doing a shore excursion on our trip that our young teenage sons (almost 13 and 14) would not be able to participate in. Would they be able to stay on the ship and hang out at the pools and rockwalls and whatnots for a few hours while we were gone? Neither one of them is all that interested in signing up for kiddy camp. They are good kids, so I wouldn't be worried about them causing any trouble on the ship for themselves or others. I'm just wondering if this would be allowed. I wouldn't want to confine them to their cabin while we were gone - although it would be an early morning excursion and we might be back before they woke up!

I wouldn't leave 2 kids of that age alone on the ship unless they were under the direct supervision of another adult or the kids program or something like that. Even at that, I would not leave the ship without my kids. If something happened to you or one of the kids, there's a definite gap there that could cause grief.

IMHO, its a poor idea to leave kids that young alone in a foreign land.

Sally, You mean they would let kids OFF THE SHIP????!!!!?!! Without an adult??!?!? Are you kidding??? I know I could tell my kids not to get off the ship and they would stay on the ship, so I wouldn't be worried about my boys, but I'm sure that other people might not be so lucky. Good grief that's a lot of liability that the cruise lines are taking on. I'd think the security would be tighter than that. If they let kids off the ship without an adult, who are they letting back on?

Sally, You mean they would let kids OFF THE SHIP????!!!!?!! Without an adult??!?!? Are you kidding??? I know I could tell my kids not to get off the ship and they would stay on the ship, so I wouldn't be worried about my boys, but I'm sure that other people might not be so lucky. Good grief that's a lot of liability that the cruise lines are taking on. I'd think the security would be tighter than that. If they let kids off the ship without an adult, who are they letting back on?

Why would the ship be liable for kids getting off while in port? Why wouldn't the parents be liable for poor parenting and not knowing where their kids are.

It's a ship, not a prison.

Why is it a liability of the cruise line for letting kids off of the ship? It's the parents responsibility to watch their kids and not the cruise line. IMHO leaving kids that age unsupervised is asking for trouble. Good kids or not, they are still kids and anything can happen. Find an excursion that the entire family can do together.

Why would the ship be liable for kids getting off while in port? Why wouldn't the parents be liable for poor parenting and not knowing where their kids are.

It's a ship, not a prison.

Ships do not allow children that young off the ship alone. I saw that in Bermuda last year when 2 16 year olds tried getting off the ship and were denied. Rightfully so too.

I don't understand your last sentence. What do you mean "who are they letting back on?" They are letting passengers with their Sea Pass cards back on.

I wouldn't leave 2 kids of that age alone on the ship unless they were under the direct supervision of another adult or the kids program or something like that. Even at that, I would not leave the ship without my kids. If something happened to you or one of the kids, there's a definite gap there that could cause grief.

IMHO, its a poor idea to leave kids that young alone in a foreign land.

You've got a good point. I hadn't thought about the potentiality of something happening to us/them while we were separated. On the other hand, there are circumstances in our lives every day where we are separated and something (heaven forbid) could happen to one or all of us and that doesn't prevent us from living our lives to the fullest potential possible. I'm not trying to ditch my kids. I wouldn't be bringing them on this trip if that were my goal. We certainly could have gone on our vacation during the month they were at their bio-Dad's house if I didn't want them around. I'm just trying to figure out a way for us to get a dive in and for them to be safe and happy for a few hours while we do it.

One thing that I have learned being the mother of 3 almost grown daughters is that you should NEVER say what your children will/will not do outside of your presence. YOU may feel confident that they will acutally follow your orders, but how will you know :confused: when you are off diving and they are alone on the ship? And when all is said and done, you are responsible for your children, not Royal Caribbean.

I think that if you're 100% sure that they either will not or cannot leave the ship, then go ahead with the excursion. I'm sure that they would be spending most of the day on the ship by themselves anyway, whether you're onboard or not. I hope it works out.

-Rich

I know that my kids listen to me from years of experience. If I were to tell my kids to stay in their cabin and watch tv or read and order room service if they got hungry and not to leave until we got back they would do that - no questions - no worries.

My shock and concern at the comment that they would let kids off the ship without a parent did not relate to fear of my own kids leaving the ship. I was just surprised that they would do that. I don't expect RCCL or anyone else to babysit my kids. They often babysit other people's kids for that matter. They don't need babysitters.

I asked this question because I didn't even know if what I was considering would be allowed or if I would have to sign the kids up for one of the kiddy camp programs. I also didn't know if the kiddy camp programs run while the ship is in port and if we have to be on the ship while the kids are in the program. Granted, I would much rather not do this this way. This is a family vacation and I would rather bring the boys diving with us. I am still hopeful that RCCL will step up to the plate and respond to the questions I've sent them and make it so we can do just that.

I think that if you're 100% sure that they either will not or cannot leave the ship, then go ahead with the excursion. I'm sure that they would be spending most of the day on the ship by themselves anyway, whether you're onboard or not. I hope it works out.

-Rich

No kidding! Like our almost 13 and 14 year old boys are going to want to spend all day hanging out with mom and dad at the pool... when there are teenage girls in BIKINIS and FREE FOOD found around every corner. We booked them their own cabin (across the hall). If they won't let us put some sort of $$ cap on their seapass cards, we won't see them all week! :p

Even if your kids are 100% trustworthy and are guaranteed to follow your instructions to the letter, you have no way of knowing what anybody else on the ship (passengers or crew) might do to them.

That's a creepy thought...Although there is safety in numbers - I would make them stay together at all times. They actually are pretty good about watching each other's backs - being brothers and all. My older son is also 5'9"...150 lbs... and a black belt in Tae kwon do. I realize that he's still a kid and if an adult wanted to hurt him they could, but they'd have an awful hard time trying.

All things being said (and knowing my kids' vacation sleep cycle) I think that if it works out that we have to do this, I might just tell them to hang out in their room until we get back. At worse, they'll wake up, take showers, order room service breakfast and have to wait for us for maybe an hour or so.

Does that make everyone happy? :rolleyes:

After having raised two children, I can honestly tell you that your boys at their age, will start to test the boundaries, it is typical of that age. You should keep in mind that at their age, they almost need more supervision than a much younger child.

A cruise ship is just like a small city with 3,000 strangers. Be safe and keep an eye on your kids and know where they are at all times. If you don't want to do that, then maybe you should switch months with biodad.

My kids make all high A's (nothing lower than a 95) in pre-Ap classes at school. They have never had anything less than an "E" on their conduct report. They are both involved in highly competitive extra-curricular activities. They both have active "businesses" in our neighborhood... mowing lawns, power washing fences, baby sitting, walking dogs, etc. All in all, they are pretty dang good kids. In spite of having a complete loser for a bio-dad, so thanks for the suggestion, Sally, but I think we'll keep our summer visitation schedule as it stands. I also think that my parenting skills are doing my kids justice. They seem to be turning out just fine. I do appreciate your input though. We do not hail from a teensie tiny city - being from Houston and all. We are also fairly well traveled, in spite of this only being our second cruise. Amazingly enough, we haven't misplaced the kids yet!

Disembarking a Ship

Parents or guardians must not permit any guest in their care under age 18 from leaving a ship in any port

without responsible adult supervision.

Parental and Guardian Responsibility

For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 21. Parents

and guardians are responsible for the behavior and appropriate supervision of their accompanying

minor(s) throughout their vacation. This obligation applies during transfers to and from ships, inside

terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations.

This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents and guardians are physically in

the company of their minor(s).

The biggest issues are

1) what if you are under water, out of touch, one of your kids needs medical care, no one can reach you or find you, then what? This is not at home where they can pull medical records and reach the family doctor..

2) as sad as it is, just like any city, there are sexual preditors on board ships, kids alone are prime targets. No matter how good your kids are things can happen.

I know things can happen at home too but this is not home, you are with a lot of folks that do not have your kids best interest at heart. Would you drop them off at the Galleria and leave them unsupervised, with no way to reach you if they needed?

All kids test boundries eventually, has nothing to do with parenting skills, it is part of growing up.

Disembarking a Ship

Parents or guardians must not permit any guest in their care under age 18 from leaving a ship in any port

without responsible adult supervision.

Parental and Guardian Responsibility

For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 21. Parents

and guardians are responsible for the behavior and appropriate supervision of their accompanying

minor(s) throughout their vacation. This obligation applies during transfers to and from ships, inside

terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations.

This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents and guardians are physically in

the company of their minor(s).

The biggest issues are

1) what if you are under water, out of touch, one of your kids needs medical care, no one can reach you or find you, then what? This is not at home where they can pull medical records and reach the family doctor..

2) as sad as it is, just like any city, there are sexual preditors on board ships, kids alone are prime targets. No matter how good your kids are things can happen.

I know things can happen at home too but this is not home, you are with a lot of folks that do not have your kids best interest at heart. Would you drop them off at the Galleria and leave them unsupervised, with no way to reach you if they needed?

All kids test boundries eventually, has nothing to do with parenting skills, it is part of growing up.

This is probably going a bit too far, we shouldn't always assume that there is a sexual preditor around every corner. But I am a living witness that children will test their boundaries and my girls were all honor roll students too and 3 of the sweetest girls in Houston. Please try not to leave your boys unsupervised in such a new and exotic place, there are temptations at every corner. Let us know how everything turns out. I wish you well and hope that you have a most wonderful time on your cruise.

Honestly, sign em up for the "kiddy camp". Yes it's open ALL day long while in port. They can hang out with kids their own age and still be SUPERVISED.

Adventure Ocean actually has some pretty cool activities for that age on port days. They might actually enjoy themselves.

You are in a foreign country. It's not like you are leaving them for a quick trip to the grocery store.

They can be the smartest kids in the world (I know I was) and still do some dumb things that as parents you couldn't even imagine.

Nitra, you are right on the money... It is beyond my comprehension why parents think that the cruise line is responsible for the safety and behavior of their children. this is first and foremost a parental responsibility, even with "good' kids.

Archived