Airlift off Century at Firth of Forth, Scotland

sacway

We've been on two ships that have had helicopter medevacs - neither had a helipad, and the choppers hovered, dropped a stokes litter, and then winched the patient aboard.

1st time was on the Constitution, 24 hrs steaming time from Honolulu, way back in 12-84. That was a joint operation involving USAF & USMC choppers and refueling plane. They had tried to land on the fantail, but the ship was bouncing too much in heavy seas.

2nd time was on Westerdam (not current ship) off Nova Scotia 9-97, with a Canadian Coast Guard chopper providing the evacuation.

Those chopper pilots certainly are highly skilled!

When I had my one and only ride in Hawaii our seats were determined by weight... guess the pilot was confused:cool:

The pilot wasn't confused... but he'd not likely consider 440 lbs. to be a 'major undertaking' either. It's just nice to have weight evenly distributed. So the paramedic will sit on the other side.

After all, combat equipped soldiers weigh around 300 lbs each and are carried in groups. Bigger helis ferry heavy building materials in the mountains. It's not like these are flimsy experimental aircraft. Although my experience is limited, I suspect weird wind shears in mountain terrain will tax a pilot's operating margins more than a slightly off center lift at sea level. Copters have payloads starting around 1,800 lbs going up substantially from there.

I've ridden small helis skiing. Weight is a consideration - one of many - but not typically a really 'major' one (usually 5 skiers, 1 pilot; 5 sets of skis carried external on one side - no problem). That's been the case with very small LZs at 10,000-13,000 feet where a heli is going to have considerably LESS lift and aerodynamic control than one operating at sea level.

One thing's for SURE. They're a Cool way to fly! And its certainly OK to put the pilots on a pedestal. ;)

Archived