Tipping on a fishing charter

skogler

depends on how long a trip, how many fish i catch and if there are others on the boat. last time, there were 4 on the boat, fishing...no deck hands..we tipped $50. if we had more, we would have tip more..the captain was great. but this was an 8 hour trip. if there is a deck hand, tip them some and the rest to the captain.

i think anything would be appreciated, you know your budget.

We are booked with Ken of Northern Lights in Ketchikan. I emailed him to ask about crew - as I wanted to budget tips. He said that since there are only 4 of us (we chartered the boat) that he may or may not bring his son along. If you brings his son along he requested we give him the entire tip. He stated that our cost was sufficient and not to feel obligated to tip him (it's his boat) but our plan is to tip him if his son isn't there - just not as much.

Still haven't decided on the amount as it will depend on how well the fishing goes (if he finds us a great spot) and how smooth the trip goes.

Archived