Heathrow Airport Question

ktpc2005

I was wondering what currency is accepted in the airport.
At the airport itself, you'll find that euros and US dollars will be pretty widely accepted by many shops. But the exchange rate could be poor (as is always a huge risk whenever you're using a foreign currency in a shop rather than its local currency), and you will almost certainly get any change back in sterling rather than the currency with which you paid.

The shops at the airport are well used to taking credit cards for very small purchases, precisely because of the millions of people who are in the position you're in: merely connecting at Heathrow and not wanting to get any sterling just for tiny purchases. So don't be embarrassed about asking if they'd take a credit card, even for something that only costs a pound or so. The worst that can happen is that the shop will have a policy of a certain minimum spend.

Also, make sure if you're shopping at Heathrow that you take your plane ticket with you into the shops. I wanted to purchase a couple of things at the airport Harrod's store, but I left my ticket with my friend in the first class BA lounge. They wouldn't sell me anything until I went back and got my ticket.

Archived